Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gen 3 MLP, easily the most terrifying MLP animation ever.

Raven Drakeaurd

Im shore ever one here has wondered at some point where it all started, Where did our favorite ponies come from?, well This is where they came from and it is easily the most terrifying thing connected to MLP ever, and I just wanted to get some ones option on the show that has seen it when they where a kid, You know get a different point of view that sort of thing. so please what did you think of G.3 MLP as a kid.

Well, they actually came from G1 and it wasn't all that bad... ^^'

But you're right, G3 was the worst pony generation (both visually and story-wise). Especially the chibi G3.5 variation. D:

• Brohoof 1

Unless we're talking 3.5 and Newborn Cuties then no. The show's animation from what little I've seen is fairly cute, the songs are catchy and while the show seems a tad bland, calling it the worst show is overblown exaggeration from an adult fanbase hell-bent on bashing everything in the past because it built part of its identity on such.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 2

The original G3's animation was actually one of that generation's highlight. 

Of course unless we're talking about Newborn Cuties

• Brohoof 2

I still think the weirdest part of G3 was the G3.5 animation swapout of pegasi for flutterponies. All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, all the G3.5 pegasi got butterfly wings instead of regular bird wings. It was only in the animations, the toys were unchanged, but it was still baffling for me.

I also thought the voices seemed to go screechier in G3.5, as in the VA's attempting to do even younger voices... and not quite hitting it.

Other than those things G3 wasn't that bad really. Until the Newborn Cutie webcasts showed up. Those were just crudely animated, especially since FiM came out only a year after those were broadcast using the same Flash technology.

• Brohoof 1

I'd much rather watch G3 My Little Pony than FiM's Slice of Life episode.

I don't think any of G3 MLP is in the slightest bit 'terrifying'. The worst thing I'd call it is "boring", and that's only because I watched it as an adult. Even so, G3 MLP is still significantly better than the average programming for young children.

• Brohoof 3

Generation three of My Little Pony wasn't that bad if you can accept some of its themes, but Generation 3.5 can be seen as the worst thing the brand has had since its inception way back in 1983.

Never watched G3 when I was a kid. I do remember seeing commercials for the toys, but didn't think much of it. Though now that I'm older and seen some G3, I don't think the animation was that bad outside Newborn Cuties. Nothing spectacular or anything, but it was fine.

I actually keep meaning to take a closer look at the past gens.  I've nothing against the art style or animation of gens one or three, and I accept G3 Rainbow Dash as she is.

G4's Rarity does make use of the word "darling," but G3 Rainbow was able to follow the word "darling" with the word "darlings."  Darling darlings; darling-ception.

G3 was during the time in my life when I considered myself too old to watch cartoons. Thankfully it was just a phase. But I'm not all that sorry I missed the G3.

The animation wasn't bad quality-wise, but the design and what little plot it had were just... too pink and girly. I felt like they had lost something of what had appealed to me in the original cartoon. The main conflict was usually some kinda everyday social crisis like "Oh no, I broke this thing I borrowed from my friend, what am I gonna do?" or something else mundane.

In the G1 cartoon they had this fantasy element going on. The ponies went on adventures and met things that were often genuinely terrifying. There was this one episode where there was a monster that turned living things into stone. And they didn't do it in any wussy 'flash of light from off-screen' way. No, they showed how the monster touched characters that were fleeing from him in terror, and the victim would freeze in midstep for a split second, and then be changed into a grey, hollow-eye'd lump of rock. Tell me THAT isn't brutal for a kid's show.

• Brohoof 1

G3 was during the time in my life when I considered myself too old to watch cartoons. Thankfully it was just a phase. But I'm not all that sorry I missed the G3.

The animation wasn't bad quality-wise, but the design and what little plot it had were just... too pink and girly. I felt like they had lost something of what had appealed to me in the original cartoon. The main conflict was usually some kinda everyday social crisis like "Oh no, I broke this thing I borrowed from my friend, what am I gonna do?" or something else mundane.

In the G1 cartoon they had this fantasy element going on. The ponies went on adventures and met things that were often genuinely terrifying. There was this one episode where there was a monster that turned living things into stone. And they didn't do it in any wussy 'flash of light from off-screen' way. No, they showed how the monster touched characters that were fleeing from him in terror, and the victim would freeze in midstep for a split second, and then be changed into a grey, hollow-eye'd lump of rock. Tell me THAT isn't brutal for a kid's show.

That would be Crunch the Rock Dog

My little pony started with generation 1 for me which I quite liked the art style for it sure it was not perfect, but it was all hand drawn back then so credit must be given as for generation 3 I like the art style sure the story is not perfect, but why does bad things have to play a part to make a show good? its nice seeing a cartoon where the world can be a happy place instead of monsters attacking everywhere you turn and one must remember a lot of the characters in generation 4 came from gen 1 , my little pony tales, and generation 3 so without those earlier generations we would not have generation 4 I mean it could still be made, but the characters most likely would not be the same since a lot of them are based off older generations I like seeing how the my little pony art style has changed throughout each generation and sure 3.5 they looked a tad off, but the toy line for generation 3.5 are cute.