Register now to remove this ad.

Hi! I'm new here and I wanted to start making pony stuff like apps, games and animations, but I don't know where to start or what programs to use! If you could help me out, I'd really really love that! Thanks lots!  :umad: 

As an indie game developer, I could share few thoughts with you regarding some programs, where games could be made. It all depends on what exactly you're looking for.  ;)

• Brohoof 1

I'm kinda just looking around to mess around with a program until I get a feel for it and actually get an idea for what to make. But I'm fine with anything as long as its free tbh?

Well, there are different ways to approach that.

If you know some scripting languages, you can just write the game just like you'd like it to be.

There are also programs, that make that process more automatic for you.

So if you're looking for making an RPG, then there is software that focuses on that and allows you to use an editor to easily configure things around.

There are also more professional programs, so it really depends on your experience and what type of game you want to make as to not search far, 2D and 3D games are almost totally different things.

But from what you've said, I think that giving Game Maker: Studio a try wouldn't be a bad idea. It is capable of doing various types of games ~ puzzles, platformers, RPG etc..

It supports both, drag&drop functions as well as direct scripting things. With some tutorials, you'd be able to make some games and take first steps into scriptwriting.

Anyway, the programs I've used/I'm using aren't free, though Game Maker has a free version, where you can make games normally, but just can't export them and share with the others without buying a licence first.  :P

Edited by Rikifive

Well, there are different ways to approach that.

If you know some scripting languages, you can just write the game just like you'd like it to be.

There are also programs, that make that process more automatic for you.

So if you're looking for making an RPG, then there is software that focuses on that and allows you to use an editor to easily configure things around.

There are also more professional programs, so it really depends on your experience and what type of game you want to make as to not search far, 2D and 3D games are almost totally different things.

But from what you've said, I think that giving Game Maker: Studio a try wouldn't be a bad idea. It is capable of doing various types of games ~ puzzles, platformers, RPG etc..

It supports both, drag&drop functions as well as direct scripting things. With some tutorials, you'd be able to make some games and take first steps into scriptwriting.

Anyway, the programs I've used/I'm using aren't free, though Game Maker has a free version, where you can make games normally, but just can't export them and share with the others without buying a licence first.  :P

Actually, you can export a game off a standard liscence (which is free and is what i have).

If I'm not mistaking, there was another free licence, where you could compile your games but you were limited to few objects, scripts etc..

Though I may be mistaking, I don't remember.  :derp:

You are limited, yes, but very minimally. I don't even realize this when I'm programming because of it. There's no resource limit. I know there used to be before the GM Studio days, among many other things such as creating your own surfaces. The only thing I can think of the top of my head where you're limited is in the realm of 3D. You can't make a 3D game in a standard liscence, that's for sure.

Well, that's good then. ^^

Making 3D games requires much more work, even when it comes to create resources, like character models. Starting small with 2D/2.5D games should be a good idea.

Anyway, that's where obviously you can make games, so I hope that somehow answers to your question.  :D

Recommended programs to make apps with?

Notepad. Plain and simple. Everything can be made with notepad!

• Brohoof 3

I have not made a game yet but for apps my goto is QT and QML, for any platform.  If I do make a game it would be with this combination:

• Gimp for images and frame-by-frame animation (I am told Gimp can somehow import Paintshop vectors now, but I have not tried)
  • Audacity for sound and music editing
  • Kdenlive for video editing
  • Blender for 3d models and animation
  • Unity3D for games and full composition.

Qt Creator for QT

Edited by Moore Tides

So, you asked for a free game making program? I'm sorry to disappoint you, but:

No game making app is free. For that, you'd have to spend a few years learning a coding language, and then find a program actually capable of running it. You'd have to pay in other programs for things, like "remove watermark", "make more than 1 game", or maybe "regain access", or "unlock abilities".

On 11/23/2016 at 7:17 PM, Kagami-sama said:

Notepad. Plain and simple. Everything can be made with notepad!

As Big Macintosh says: "Eeyup". 

6 minutes ago, Shadow the First said:

So, you asked for a free game making program? I'm sorry to disappoint you, but:

No game making app is free. For that, you'd have to spend a few years learning a coding language, and then find a program actually capable of running it. You'd have to pay in other programs for things, like "remove watermark", "make more than 1 game", or maybe "regain access", or "unlock abilities".

As Big Macintosh says: "Eeyup". 

What do you mean no game making app is free? What about Unity, Unreal and Game Maker?

I use multi media maker 2,(The engine that FNaF is using) it works for the most part

Moving thread into Button Mash's Code Library. In spite of the user not being among us anymore, it might prove itself useful for other individuals with interest in dabbling into game developing.

Have a lovely day everyone.

AR is the swag these days. Try 3D models in Unity with Xcode and Objective-C for iOS, or C# and Visual Studio/Xamarin for Android.

As others have said, use Blender for creating said models for games. I'm not sure if VUE will work tho...