Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Shows you just can't get interested in.

BastementSparkle

Ever had this happen to you? Not necessarily with a show that you felt was bad or mediocre, but with one you could clearly see was good, that plenty of people enjoy and recommend, but no matter what you just can't get into it?

I ask right now, since I'm kind of in a position like that with Gravity Falls. Since MLP is on hiatus right now, I've been checking out some other shows lately. Particularly other animated shows, ones from my childhood I hadn't seen in years, ones I hadn't really given a chance yet, and some that I'd seen before but never fully clicked with me. One of these shows was Steven Universe, which I'd tried a few times before in the past but always walked away uninterested, but which after giving it just one more shot and sticking with it a bit longer, I finally fell in love with it, and now it's one of my new favorite shows.

Since I'd had a similar history with Gravity Falls in the past, trying it out a few times and not getting into it, I figured I should give it one last try too, and...still nothing. I can very clearly see why people love it, but nothing I see drags me in. I don't find it very funny, the mystery doesn't feel very compelling, I don't really find myself caring about the characters very much, etc. It just does nothing for me, despite everyone telling me I should love it, and despite the fact that I can see the quality.

I also might have a slight personal grudge against the show holding me back too, but I'm not totally sure about that.

Anyway, personal experiences? Ever had a show you could see the value of, but just don't find interesting personally? Ever tried and tried and tried to watch something, but just couldn't really care? I find this kind of situation oddly interesting right now, so I'd love to hear others experiences with this.

• Brohoof 3

The Walking Dead. I respect the show hugely for its success, but I personally can not get into it.

My family loves this one, I occasionally have watched it with them and it's a little interesting, but it doesn't really feel like my cup of tea either. 

I tried to get myself to like Gravity Falls yet there was something about it that just didn't click with me. A shame really as I ended up missing out on a pretty good series all because I couldn't become engaged with it. Another example for me would be Star Wars: Rebels. Again, I've watched a couple of episodes in hopes of being hooked, yet I couldn't find any common ground and ultimately decided to ignore it.

Torchwood for me.  I watched the first two episodes and just really couldn't will myself to watch the third.

That's another one for me too. I love Doctor Who a lot and it's one of my favorite shows, but I couldn't watch more than a few episodes of Torchwood. It was supposed to be more adult than the main show, yet it felt like it was going about achieving that in all the wrong ways.

• Brohoof 1

Uncle Grandpa, 

It's a show that no one wanted but for some reason Cartoon Network kept it around and even gave it a lot of promotion like it was the next spongebob. Thankfully it's cancelled now o_o 

• Brohoof 2

I experienced something like this when I was a kid.

I remember watching a TV channel with animated shows, where they were airing more serious (less colorful) ones at night, so that's when 'Spiderman' was appearing.

I was always like "nuuu pls", but there was no escape - I had to watch it in order to watch the next one after it.

I was trying to like and get used to it, because that stuff was popular and of course, it was getting on my way, but I always was finding that boring and ... sometimes even falling asleep in the middle.  :P

That's the closest experience to the question, that I can share.  :D

• Brohoof 1

One piece is probably the biggest show I cannot bring myself to watch anymore. It has gone on for far too long and it is immensely repetive. I love some of the charafcters and other aspects but I wouldn't be able to stomach over 700 episodes of it. Got about 150 in and gave up.

I've seen a few episodes of Steven Universe and Gravity Falls, but I can't just don't see myself going out of my way to actually watch it

• Brohoof 1

I've seen a few episodes of Steven Universe and Gravity Falls, but I can't just don't see myself going out of my way to actually watch it

Steven Universe. I watched quite a few of the first episodes but lost interest. It's boring.

To be honest, I can understand where you both are coming from, since the first maybe 20 episodes of Steven Universe really do not represent how good the show gets later. But after the first half of Season 1, it really starts to improve, and it's become one of my favorite shows of all time... and FYI, I've been watching cartoons since the early 90s. I urge you to try it again, but of course, it might just not be your thing, and that's fine.

Like with people in general, sometimes the first impression is a false one. And Steven Universe is a perfect example.

• Brohoof 2

The Powerpuff Girls (The 2016 one), I watched couple of Episodes but I'm stop watching as the 2016 Version for Powerpuff Girls is boring, I would rather watch the Original Powerpuff Girls instead.

• Brohoof 2

There are plenty of shows - the majority of them being live action dramas - that I never got into or lost interest in along the way.  True Blood and Game of Thrones are good examples; though on opposite sides of a spectrum.  From the start, True Blood was never that intriguing to me; it just wasn't.  I'll take the likes of The Lost Boys and Buffy the Vampire Slayer over True Blood, any day.  The difference with Thrones was that I got really into it at first, and the interest just drained right out of me.  It became a chore to watch the show or read A Song of Ice and Fire.

• Brohoof 1

Gravity Fall. I watched some of their great episodes (most of them involve Cipher), but i just cant invest to this series, their episodes usually are not memorable to me.

Steven Universe. I heard many good things about this series, but i dont like their character design, Pearl is the only character looks interesting, but one character is not enough.

Avatar/Korra. Dont know why, i just cant. Maybe nowaday, i prefer fighting series with more power variety than just 4 element, that sound stupid but....

R.W.B.Y. That art style and character's movement just annoy me everytime i see it.

Star vs Force of Evil. Every ep always make me laugh and pay attention until the end, but after i finished, there is nothing more, just a good series to kill time.

• Brohoof 1

Any show with episodes longer than the usual 30 minutes, I've tried plenty of shows like that, but just watching an episode leaves me very exhausted. Even if the episode is great or if the show looks promising, just thinking about having to sit down for that much time through every episode is enough to keep me away from watching them, if I'm going to do that I might as well just watch a movie. I guess that's why I mostly watch cartoons.

Steven Universe would be the obvious one for me, people were raving about it all over the place but I never saw anything in it to make it worth my time.  I just found the entire thing to be comprehensively 'meh', the animation, the characters, the story.  I'm not going to criticise anyone else for liking it, but nothing can be all things to all people and SU is certainly no exception.

It also didn't help that on certain other sites, if I (or anyone else) voiced that opinion, I would find the more diehard SU fans demanding that I justify my position, suggesting that I must be watching it wrong or that I simply don't understand it.  If there is one thing that is guaranteed to entrench someone's dislike of a TV show, it's that sort of attitude coming from people that get far too serious about it.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

MLP:FiM - TO A POINT.

I do like the show sometimes, and some episodes, I just don't think I can dedicate myself fully to the fandom. If you ask why I'm on MLPF then, it's because of the friendly community, and I know a few people here.

• Brohoof 3

Although I do plan to give it another chance sometime, I gotta say Steven Universe as well. I do like the characters and its visual style, but I just think it takes itself too seriously and as a result, I often didn't find it that enjoyable.

Another one for me is Family Guy. I actually used to enjoy it, but whether it's because its style of comedy got tedious, or it became too popular and quoted to oblivion (that Bird is the Word song and episode got grating VERY quickly), I really went off it and I just cannot be compelled enough to watch it at all now.

Steven Universe, boring af

Adventure Time, I can't stand the art style it's so ugly :s

Sons of Anarchy.. Just as the two above I really wanted to like it but the characters man, jeez they piss me off

The Walking Dead but only lately. I hate Negan and so does everybody else and the writers or creators or whoever are purposefully victimizing Rick and the crew in order to (what I think is being done in overkill) drive up the "pleasure in the pain" aspect that makes Negan an effective character. It loses my interest when it gets to gimmicks. Plus the story draaaaags and draaaaags and there's almost no progression at all lately. Ugh.

And Fear the Walking Dead. Just can't get into Walking Dead 2.0 just with different people.

ETA also can't get into Breaking Bad or any of the other cable exclusives other than American Horror Story. Can't get interested in House of Cards or Scandal or Orange is the new Black or any of the political/controversial/social issues shows. Not interested in the propaganda or political nature of some of them.

Edited by Lexamena
  • Brohoof 3