Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Applejack episodes.

CastletonSnob

She's an underrated character that needs more redeeming episodes to bring her out. She has the potential to show more in what she's made of but her episodes don't highlight those hidden traits and yet they just reiterate her common usual traits only. That leads to formidable plots and ideals that center around AppleJack and eventually she gets pushed back and forgotten. Sure, we might had gotten good times when she does create a lasting impression upon herself and to the viewers but her overall, she needs more substance.

• Brohoof 2

Applejack is arguably the easiest character to like as a... person? pony? Rather than a character. When I just knew this show from when I watched it with my little sister she was my favorite because of that, but as I started to watch episodes on my own I started to like the other main characters as I learnt more about them, AJ on the other hand was still the same likable pony I knew, except she was a little more stubborn but that's it. That kind of characters are really hard to make interesting, since they're pretty much where they want to be in life and don't need to be developed so much, or if they do they need some down to earth simple development.

Her lack of an actual character arc.

Although The Mane Attraction is one of my favorite episodes.

I think there should be a follow up episode where Applejack and Coloratura has to deal with some music industry consequences of The Mane Attraction. Like the change to Rara would drive some of the Countess Coloratura fans away (not everyone is open to change) and Svengallop already has the next big star hitting the top making Countess Coloratura yesterday news. Rara could mention missing some aspects of her time as Countess Coloratura.

• Brohoof 1

This; Applejack is the character who is the most well rounded and mature of the group-- she has the least growing to do. She has no goals in life and no real hurdles to overcome: she already has EVERYTHING that she's ever wanted.

As such, its harder to make episodes revolving around her personally; The colortura one was a breath of fresh air in that it gave her something to base the episode around besides just "family family family".

• Brohoof 5

It really is her lack of a character arc. I'all add that, when the writers actually manage to solidify her character flaws (which I think they did well in season 6, a bit too late), they're often simply not particularly entertaining, and her entertaining episodes, like "Viva Las Pegasus" or the aforementioned "The Mane Attraction," frequently do very little for her as a character. I do maintain that "The Last Roundup" is one of the show's very best, however.

Don't fret. As long as people like Big Jim has a say in this, we will be gifted with more (boring) Applejack Day Off's and Southern Apple Clan. Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaw.

Edited by Swifty

I know it'd go against the grain of AJ's story from Cutie mark chronicles, but I wish they'd introduce some sort of life goal that she decides to undertake or some sort of threat to her farm to mix things up a little. Like even in season one they kind of realized they needed to give her SOMETHING to shoot for to make Best night ever work by making her trying to make money for her family there.

Heh. While for me is hard to decide what is the best season for single characters, for AJ the best one is easely... the S1. Applejack is my least favorite of the Mane 6, because while all the others are perfectly balanced in good traits and flaws, she appears too much perfect in the vast majority of her episodes making her boring, and when she shows her """"flaws""""" she results to be.... a really crappy character... (See Apple Family Reunion, Somepony to Watch Over Me and (althought relatively speaking) Applejack's Day Off). She still got a few great episodes like The Last Roundup, The Mane Attraction and Viva Las Pegasus, but compared to the other Mane 6, she has a pretty weak record of episodes... man  even Spike, the CMCs, Discord and Starlight Glimmer (S6 finale aside) have a better record of episodes than her in my eyes...

I know it'd go against the grain of AJ's story from Cutie mark chronicles, but I wish they'd introduce some sort of life goal that she decides to undertake or some sort of threat to her farm to mix things up a little. Like even in season one they kind of realized they needed to give her SOMETHING to shoot for to make Best night ever work by making her trying to make money for her family there.

Heh, unfortunately her established destiny is the reason she doesn't get much character development compared to the other Mane 6... the best thing she could become with a destiny like that is becoming the mayor of Ponyville..

Edited by Sly

This; Applejack is the character who is the most well rounded and mature of the group-- she has the least growing to do. She has no goals in life and no real hurdles to overcome: she already has EVERYTHING that she's ever wanted.

As such, its harder to make episodes revolving around her personally; The colortura one was a breath of fresh air in that it gave her something to base the episode around besides just "family family family".

I wonder why the Apple family money issues concerns she had in seasons 1 and 2 were dropped. If she had been working to support her family and stressing about it would be more symphatetic (expecially with dead parents subtext) and rewarding when she succeeded. And she can have issues with pride and stubbornness whivh could have been highlighted with her struggles.

As it is she does not have a goal or an arch as others have said. She does not even have conflicts as much with her family Applebloom has had even if there has been some. Maybe the parents actually should end up being alive and needed to be found so Applejack could have a goal to work towards. Or something else that should be invented. She is a great supporting charcater, but her episodes cant really improve like this. Getting great supporting charcaters makes her epsiodes work the best at the moment.

I wonder why the Apple family money issues concerns she had in seasons 1 and 2 were dropped. If she had been working to support her family and stressing about it would be more symphatetic (expecially with dead parents subtext) and rewarding when she succeeded. And she can have issues with pride and stubbornness whivh could have been highlighted with her struggles.

As it is she does not have a goal or an arch as others have said. She does not even have conflicts as much with her family Applebloom has had even if there has been some. Maybe the parents actually should end up being alive and needed to be found so Applejack could have a goal to work towards. Or something else that should be invented. She is a great supporting charcater, but her episodes cant really improve like this. Getting great supporting charcaters makes her epsiodes work the best at the moment.

could always do some sort of minor meta-arc for AJ introduced with a minor villain (Maybe gladmane?) trying to buyout the land on which sweet apple acres so AJ has to try and keep the farm running ship shape so that she'll be able to meet a financial deadline in the future to stay on track with her payments.

• 1 month later...

I kind of agree that Applejack is the least appreciated character of the Mane Six, yet is getting more episodes than most of them. She'd had, like, five episodes without them all! The last one was Where the Apple Lies.

Yet even so, Applejack should have less major roles in Season 7, since about two or three of her major roles in Season 6 were kind of a waste.

Applejack's just a character who naturally usually works better in a supporting role than a starring one, and that's fine and every ensemble needs a a character like that, who can play the straight man role. AJ's my second favorite even if i admit a lot of her episodes are kinda meh, sometimes they hit it out of the park though liike with Viva Las Pegasus.

There's no arc, you say? The Flim-Flam Bros arc seems to be a big part of AJ's life! Plus we got some backstory from her in Where the Apple Lies! I dunno what you dudes are talking about, later season 6 was pretty good for AJ! AJ's Day Off and Cart Before the Ponies were the only episodes that season I didn't like AJ.

There's no arc, you say? The Flim-Flam Bros arc seems to be a big part of AJ's life! Plus we got some backstory from her in Where the Apple Lies! I dunno what you dudes are talking about, later season 6 was pretty good for AJ! AJ's Day Off and Cart Before the Ponies were the only episodes that season I didn't like AJ.

She has nothing to work towards. I liked how she was treated in season 6 as well (possibly even more than you did), as it gave her something to get over a lot of the time even if it wasn't that entertaining in some cases, but she's never given a problem quite as coherent as Fluttershy's shyness and fearfulness to overcome, and she doesn't have any major aspirations in life otherwise. Season 6 doubled down on her stubbornness, but it was consistently an indirect bit of characterization which the episodes never fully based the plot around. It's a little frustrating, but it's something I think the writers can improve on and learn to focus on more, because I think they have all the ideas in place. 

Script writers have been mean to best pony. She needs more episodes that actually develop her charecter

Because she is poorly developed (no pun I swear)

Also, we need a backstory episode. I can't go another season without knowing what her backstory is lol

The Last Roundup is one of my favorite episodes. So are Pinkie Apple Pie, The Mane Attraction, and Bats! The rest of them don't stand out very much. Hell, Apple Bloom usually gets better episodes. Maybe if the writers had actually bothered to create a story arc for Applejack that lasted multiple seasons, then I would find her episodes more memorable.

Agree, and Fall weather freinds was good exapmle. Well and via los pegisus..she way better she paired (don't take that out of context.)