Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

making christmas merrier Making Christmas Merrier V - charity: water

PiratePony

i work for a car company and the customers that come through the doors have so much money they don't know what to do with it. yet for the sake of good business we provide tons of customer service to keep them happy and coming back and one of the things we do is provide is free water ;-;
the day after i donated the last $15 from my bank account i came into work and they had me make up the display and transfer a few boxes into the cabinet underneath to make it last the whole day, placing each one hurt so much ;-;
sig-4751481.post-38841-0-01834700-148048

are you honestly telling me some random person with a $300,000 car only used as a status symbol is eligible to have free clean water but entire villages over seas full of many many families that actually need water don't have such a privilege?!

for some no water is an outrage, for others its matter of life or death, i wish i could give more :( 

• Brohoof 5

We surpassed $1500 last night thanks to a very generous donation from one of our members.

Expect the stretch goal to be posted this evening!

• Brohoof 6

ok i hate to be a turd in the sandbox but you chose the wrong charity 

the charities might mean well and they can make all the feels videos they want however there's a reason these people don't have clean drinking water no infrastructure and why is there no infrastructure? wartorn countries 

i know exactly what happens to these wells they get put in everyone's happy then local warlords and gangs take control of them and force people to pay for the water 

i looked up the map hundreds of these wells are currently in Boko Haram (African cell of ISIS) and other genocidal faction controlled regions 

the UN advises not donating to water charities for these exact reasons just keep that in mind for next year as you said there's children's hospitals cancer research homeless charities doctors without boarders etc 

Edited by idunnomaybe

We surpassed $1500 last night thanks to a very generous donation from one of our members.

Expect the stretch goal to be posted this evening!

I have to say that, outside of the excellent charity choice this year, you guys have come up with some interesting and inspired new stretch goals. 

@idunnomaybe, THAT is the sort of thing that Terrorists WANT you to believe.

The act of terrorism is the practice of intimidating others into doing exactly what you want them to do, whether by threat or show of force, and using the fear generated by such to keep control.  What you speak of DOES happen, yes - but that should, in no way, shape, or form make us AFRAID to help our fellow human beings.  

We share this dirtball with a LOT of other people; if we simply turn our backs on them because "it encourages warlords to take over towns", then effectively the enemy has already won.  They keep said town from prospering, and they have effectively stymied you from trying to be a part of the solution to human suffering - clean water and its' effects on a community have the potential to bring the town up from its' knees and able to stand on their own.

A town that is self-sufficient is considerably more effective at protecting and defending itself, is it not?

The LAST thing these warlords want is for their target to get healthier - they rule through fear, remember?  If you're of a healthy state of body, you can be of a healthy state of mind.  With that, you can mount defenses, rally friends and neighbors, and become more effective at keeping the metaphysical wolves at bay.

Of course they want you to believe that building wells is futile... it's easier to dominate sick people than healthy ones.

I will also say to you, however, that I thank you not only for your concern in this, but for informing us about such a thing; sometimes, it's good to know what realities there are out there.  It reminds us all to be extra thankful this season, as things could always be worse.

• Brohoof 11

We can't even build a water source without politics poisoning the well. :P

This is a valid cause, and the UN Foundation mentions Charity:Water by name since they all partner together.

http://www.unfoundation.org/news-and-media/press-releases/2014/partners-across-sectors-continue-strengthen-power-givingtuesday.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

• Brohoof 6

THAT is the sort of thing that Terrorists WANT you to believe.

ah... no that is what happens its one of the things they teach you in school of infantry regarding tactics... that plus though my countries involvement with African conflicts was over long before i jointed up there's still a lot of vets still in so they gave their experience's... 

in arid regions like Africa and the middle east if you want to find the Enemy one of the first things you do is send recon elements to water sources this was so effective that during the South African Bush wars they didn't even send recon units they just sent mech infantry to water sources knowing the Enemy would either be there or have encampments near by 

not to mention two people in my unit are Nigerian's who came here as refugees they have some stories about what goes on in Africa regarding charities they personally feel that it doesn't help anything and that the local government should be better trained and equipped  

This is a valid cause, and the UN Foundation mentions Charity:Water by name since they all partner together.

ah huh that's why charity examiner Givewell issued a report stating that's there's no real evidence that these wells are really doing much these wells for the most part aren't in the centre of town they're bore water wells the people still have to walk long distances to get to them 

its not that these people have no water what so ever its that they have in built filters where as before they had to boil the water filter it then boil it again 

any way i'm not commenting further on it people should be helping their local communities first its all good and dandy giving $5 to a charity 100's of miles away to feel good about yourself but there's still local people dying from homelessness struggling to pay medical bills unable to feed their kids etc etc each year me and a few of my mates donate to local charities and work for them over the holiday period that's what everyone should be doing donate your time to a soup kitchen or something donate food to a school etc  

Edited by idunnomaybe
  • Brohoof 1

Hey guys this is not the appropriate place for a discussion such as that. Keep things on topic and more importantly keep things cool. Im not going to repeat myself.

• Brohoof 14

Well, I'm officially in the donor circle now. It looks like we're on track to meet our goal so keep it up everyone.

You unlocked Circle of Water Trophy

1.jpg

• Brohoof 3

$1789!  You know what that means!

A stretch goal is unwrapped -- the reveal will be later tonight. Don't be late.*

Have a pleased Rarity

post-36804-0-36973300-1481069412_thumb.png

*that's a note to self. I'll get around to it at some point.

• Brohoof 6

Im not 1 for Charities, but for the sake of everyone deserving clean and drinkable water, I have just chipped in what I can, its not much but every dollar helps (10 USD)

• Brohoof 4

Oh my - we've reached $2000! That means I owe you a stretch goal unwrapping.

I'll do that tomorrow morning...plus I have to write a ton down for a Lightning Round it seems. Plus come up with some more!  So stay tuned tomorrow.

Thank you for another amazing $1,000 week! :D

haveararity

large.png

Oh my, we've now passed our $2225, $2500, $2750 and are at the $3000 goal!

Thank you all for your kind generosity. Even though we have met our goal of $3000 and have been able to help oer 100 people get clean water, we can still accept donations until December 31st. I hope that you find it in your hearts to give a little if you haven't already.

Now excuse me, I have to make up some more stretch goals stat!

Merry Christmas to all!

9a4f087187da84082dfdfddc0cfdaca1.jpg?132

• Brohoof 9

Hi everyone!

You know we were able to hit our $3000 initial goal, partly due to my personal match, but we still have a lot of time that we can donate to this good cause. The donation page is still active until December 31st, and I would love it if we could completely annihilate this goal and show everyone what the kind people of MLP Forums and Poniverse can do. This can be a simple as throwing in an extra dollar...we have the active membership to do it. Think of how much organizations like The Salvation Army make with a bucket that takes in change. Even if you think your contribution is not a lot...when pulled together it can make a big difference for people who really need it. We've been sitting at $3090 for over a day, and I hope that we can make from now until Christmas an amazing amount for charity: water and all the men, women, and children in developing countries that need it.

So here is another link to our donation page

If you cannot contribute any funds, please try and help our cause if you can by

Sharing on Facebook

Sharing on Twitter

Thank you very much for all the support you've given so far. I just know we can keep this up and make it even more special and amazing.

I hope this Christmas season continues to bring you lots of joy and happiness.

-Pirate

• Brohoof 9

I would like to echo the above sentiment. The initial goal may have been hit, but that is no reason to step off the gas.. we can still do so much more... if you have yet to donate, please consider doing so.. if you have been on the fence thinking what you have to offer is too little, I promise you it is not. Everything helps, everything counts and it all adds up. I do not personally use facebook or any social media, but those who do... pop that link in there and promote it... it is a couple of minutes of your time and can make all the difference. Those who have youtube channels, drop a 30 second endorsement for it and get the word out. I've shared the link with a couple people and can only hope they help spread the word. A lot of people may feel they have nothing to offer or cannot contribute..,. but we can all contribute in very tiny ways, and with everyone doing it, it can add up to a whole lot.

Everyone is this forum will wake up Christmas morning and celebrate it differently, and we will all have our own ways and customs on how we celebrate or even if we celebrate.. but one thing we all will have in common, is we all will be able to get a glass of water anytime we want to... something essential to our very lives, and something we do without ever stopping to think how lucky we are to be able to do it. Now we are trying to give that simple overlooked act and ability to someone else.... so they to can do something we take for granted. We may not can give them all presents under a tree or the latest fad and fashions hitting the stores this holiday gift giving season.. but we can all do a little something to give them a chance at a brighter healthier tomorrow... and that is more valuable than any trinket.

Thanks everyone! I am really proud to have been a part of this in some small way, no matter what. Here's hoping and pushing for a bit more.

• Brohoof 5

xjB032b.gif

You're all good little poniessssssssss

You want to do good thingssssssss for thisssssss World

You all want thisssssssss to reach 5000 US Dollarsssssssss

Not doing good thingssssssss bringsssssss you pain...ssssssssso much pain

obey the illuminati

• Brohoof 5