Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What shows have been good for the longest time?

Oleks

Almost every show that lasts more than one season is criticized for being “not as good as it used to be” at some point. So, I wonder: how long can a show last and still remain good? 

For me, an example of such a show is South Park – 20 seasons, and it’s still brilliant (I know many will disagree). 

So, what long-runners are still good in your opinion?
  • Brohoof 1

I don't watch a lot of shows on TV to be honest, so am not very good at these types of questions... most of the time when I like a show it ends after a couple of seasons even when it is still really good, then they try to bring it back in a new way with usually poor to awful results.

Currently in animation the only shows I can say I am enjoying so far and are still ongoing are MLP and SU (and I have not seen all of SU yet, but what I have seen I have truly enjoyed), and nothing as long lived as South Park, The Simpsons or Family Guy and the like. Futurama was about the longest running animated show I truly enjoyed overall.

MLP is still good in my opinion, and that is one reason i dread them doing a reboot since they will undoubtedly decide to change the entire format and make the show just a horrible abomination of what it was much like PPG and TT (which I still weep for).

• Brohoof 1

King of the Hill lasted 13 seasons and managed to have consistent quality. At worst you can say that the newer episodes(Season 9+) weren't as memorable but for the most part they still managed to have great episodes

Futurama was able to maintain a strong consistency despite going through more than one series finale because of what was going on behind the scenes.

• Brohoof 1

King of the Hill lasted 13 seasons and managed to have consistent quality. At worst you can say that the newer episodes(Season 9+) weren't as memorable but for the most part they still managed to have great episodes

The problem I have with the newer episodes is that Peggy and Luanne turn into dicks. Luanne just turns into a bit of a bitch near the end. Peggy also turned really bitchy, like when she taught Lucky everything wrong for him to purposely fail his G.E.D. :/ Most episodes were still funny, though.

South Park and It's Always Sunny are still great, in my opinion.

Edited by Kayleigh

Futurama was able to maintain a strong consistency despite going through more than one series finale because of what was going on behind the scenes.

I don't know, when Futurama returned it never seemed as good. Sadly, I can't be specific as it has been years since I watched it.

In terms of animation, MLP is the longest running show I've watched that I've felt was still good. 6 seasons, a few movies and still going strong!

In terms of general TV, I think Doctor Who is pretty good, both 9 seasons into it's modern run, and over 30 seasons into it's overall run. It's had some low points, sure, but the show always seems to pull itself back onto it's feet at some point, and I think the more recent seasons have been pretty good overall, despite some people not liking them.

Actually not, The Simpsons is not a good show at all. It's awful.

rly? why not? i dindt saw all the episodes, but some of them are rly funny.

Edited by Panini

One Piece , 766 Episodes and going strong!

It's like it's creator has a secret underground factory where he creates all them feels

m7GiR9F.png

one-piece-sad.jpg

For me, an example of such a show is South Park – 20 seasons, and it’s still brilliant (I know many will disagree).   

I agree completely! This season especially! The Elections were amazing X3 

Edited by Vulcan
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know, when Futurama returned it never seemed as good. Sadly, I can't be specific as it has been years since I watched it.

At least they were able to end the show on a high note instead of keeping it going like some other shows have done.

The longest shows i watched, which are still good in my Opinion, are Case Closed, One Piece, The Big Bang Theory, Scrubs, How i met your Mother and Once upon a Time.

I would say The Walking Dead, but i already lost Interest in that Show two times.

The second Season bored me and the sixth.

Seinfeld had a strong run to the end of its 9 seasons, without a doubt, even after co-creator Larry David left during Season 7 and some changes were becoming evident.

As far as cartoons, Arthur managed to pull off an impressive run, still on today having premiered in 1996. That puts it as the second longest-running North American cartoon after The Simpsons. Over time, they threw a lot of gimmicks into the show like new main characters, Very Special Episodes, celebrity cameos, and Pal and Kate episodes (ugh!) but it still remains the same basic show at heart. It has the sort of Simpsons syndrome in that the characters and setting never change but the world changes around them, and it is weird seeing such an intrinsically 90s show still doing the same thing 2 decades later, but it never seemed to lose its way.

The only show that I've liked from premier to finale was House.

8 high quality seasons.

every other strong show that I've watched was inconsistently good, or tailed off at some point.  

I thought West Wing was going to be that caliber of a show, but WOW did it tank.

Going to say The Simpsons, Sure the newer Episodes were bad but I don't Care, The Simpsons is still the Best show Ever!

Oh and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Edited by Zachary
  • Brohoof 2

I've always enjoyed MLP, it hasn't ever gotten worse than it used to be in my opinion.

I kinda want to say Doctor Who because it's still enjoyable after all these years, but it's definitely not as good as it used to be.

The Inbetweeners has been gone for a long time, but in its 3 years running and its 3 seasons it never stopped being as good as it used to be.