• Below 90
    • 90-100
    • 100-110
    • 110-120
    • 120-130
    • 130-140
    • 140-150
    • above 150

To people who do not understand IQ scores, read below.

IQ (intelligence quotient) is a frequently used measure of intelligence. Note that "intelligence" is a tricky term to define, and there may not be a strong correlation between high IQ and being what society would call "smart" (Rain Man, anyone?). Psychologists to this day dispute exactly what intelligence is and how to test it; there is no perfect way, but the IQ test is popular.

Also note that internet tests are often unreliable. They may put you in a wide ballpark, but do not trust them for specific results. To be truly sure a formal test is necessary, and that costs money. Oh well.

Now onto the numbers. A score of 100 is DEFINED as the mean (average) score for the population. Even if people suddenly got much less intelligent, 100 would continue to be the mean. That means that almost exactly 50% of the population is above and 50% below 100. In statistics there is a parameter called standard deviation, which measures the average distance of data values from the mean. A high standard deviation means that there is great variance in data values. I'm not entirely sure how it was set up this way, but the IQ test is special because it has a nice, clean standard deviation of 15.

IQ scores are also a normally distributed population. That means that a score one SD (from now on I'll use that abbreviation for standard deviation) below the mean is just as common as a score one SD above the mean. IQ can be represented on a bell graph because of this. 100 is the most common score; theoretically, 99 and 101 are slightly less common, and so on. In a normally distributed population, it is a general rule that about 68% of the population will lie within one SD of the mean. 95% will lie within two SDs of the mean. And 99.7% will lie within three standard deviations of the mean.

What this means is that 68% of the population is between 85 and 115, and 95% of the population has a score between 70 and 130. That means that about 2.5% of people have an IQ greater than 130. And finally, 99.7% of the population will have a score of between 55 and 145.

_____

The poll results are almost certainly wrong. It is extremely unlikely that 23/36 Bronies (63.89%) have IQs equal to or greater than 130; that range usually makes up only 2.5% of people. While I'd like to think that Bronies are more intelligent than the average person, that kind of a discrepancy can only imply error. I attribute this to three factors.

1) People with higher IQs are more likely to have been tested.

2) Inaccurate tests.

3) People with lower IQs are less likely to post their results.

Edited by Starswirl the Trixied
  • Brohoof 6

My IQ is high enough to fulfill the targets I've set. What is of concern is the monetary aspect. Also it was 124 when I was 10, 139 recently, however take into account I did the test at 1:40 am and I had not applied math on a level above basic algebra for a full year. I could do a more proper test, but honestly, I have better shit to do.

The poll results are almost certainly wrong. It is extremely unlikely that 23/36 Bronies (63.89%) have IQs equal to or greater than 130; that range usually makes up only 2.5% of people. While I'd like to think that Bronies are more intelligent than the average person, that kind of a discrepancy can only imply error. I attribute this to three factors.

1) People with higher IQs are more likely to have been tested.

2) Inaccurate tests.

3) People with lower IQs are less likely to post their results.

4. People lie. Edited by Whiteshade
  • Brohoof 1

well last i checked, i do believe i scored around a 142...

Though since this forum isn't a test you can't judge my poor writing quality ;)

and yes if your above 150 your mostly likely a liar... sorry

but your not all an Einstein

(unless in sarcasm

Edited by Rainbow Dashey

The question shouldn't be how smart a person is. It should be how they use what they have. A "slower" person with a good heart and a desire to contribute is a far more useful member of the species than a very smart person who sits on their ass and contributes nothing of merit.

• Brohoof 5

It seems a lot of people on this thread are calling me useless for being a lazy member of society who only uses his intelligence for himself.

To people who do not understand IQ scores.

This. A thousand times this. As much as I hated taking statistics, I understood that perfectly and you're exactly right. Thank you for writing that giant post and not forcing me to write it on my phone. :)
  • Brohoof 1

I would like to ask the question. What test did all the ponies here take? Was it online? I have to admit I agree with Starswirl that these results are incorrect, false or based on some online test. Great breakdown Starswirl.

I don't know mine... Where did you check it, is there an online test that is at least a bit reliable?

No. There is not a single online IQ test that is worth anything. They all use basic questions and frankly I think they are inflated ot make people feel good about themselves. I have taken a few and I was amazed to find out I was as smart or smarter than stephen Hawking. WOW!!!

[/sarcasm]

No my IQ is not that high and that's totally fine with that. As I stated I took it twice. Once as a youngin and once before I started this program. I know my scores. In one case the state paid for them and in one case I was able to be tested for free (WAIS) because I was a beginning therapist who had not studied it yet. As Lostwanderer said it was done properly so I am confident in my scores

Fun fact. Once a student becomes a therapist or a psychologist they are no longer allowed to take the tests because they know how they work.

Anyway...I hate to say it but yes I agree with Starswirl that this is mostly skewed data here

Edited by Cupcake Ice Cream

To be honest I have no idea what my IQ is but knowing it will just make you feel bad if it's low.

I'd rather not know that I have a low IQ instead of knowing.

Edited by Cloud Chaser

• 3 weeks later...

I took a supposed "IQ Test" on the internet back when someone made a similar thread to this.

I believe I got a 127 but, I have no idea if that is good or bad, nor do I judge based on a number.

127 is i believe about 20-25% higher than normal so you're not mad genious but you're definatley smarter than most mines about 147 but im in all ap classes in highschool

127 is i believe about 20-25% higher than normal so you're not mad genious but you're definatley smarter than most mines about 147 but im in all ap classes in highschool

We have the same IQ :) At least, mine was 147 when I last checked....... I can't imagine it's gone down......... well, I really hope not! I should check it again! <3

My psychologist recommended me getting tested for everything; autism, IQ, etc. I've scored a 152 on my IQ test. Whenever someone calls me stupid or dim, I just look at those papers for re-assurance. Not very healthy, but it helps~

Edited by Honey Puff
  • Brohoof 1

My psychologist recommended me getting tested for everything; autism, IQ, etc. I've scored a 152 on my IQ test. Whenever someone calls me stupid or dim, I just look at those papers for re-assurance. Not very healthy, but it helps~

I have autism. I am proud of it. And you have an extremely high IQ! That is such an amazing thing! Absolutely amazing gift! Wonderful!
  • Brohoof 1

The last (and only) time I took an IQ test, I got a 158. Not too shabby. It should also be noted that one's IQ is about as effective a measure of their intelligence as their body mass index is of their physical health. That is, don't put too much faith in it. There are many factors for which it doesn't account.

Here's a commonplace situation everybody finds themselves in at some point in their lives: I pulled a bottle of booze out of a cabinet. It's a bottle of sake that hasn't been opened in quite some time, and the cap was practically glued on. Unable to open it with my hands, I needed another instrument with which to twist the cap. What would your solution be? Most people would look for something to enhance their grip on the cap so their hand wouldn't slide around it or would try using their teeth. I stuck it in a doorjamb, pulled the door closed on it, and gave it a little twist. Worked perfectly. Some might say my solution was "more original." Let's assume that is was - am I any more intelligent for coming up with a solution that deviated from the norm, but was no more effective? No, but those who wouldn't have done that but spent who knows how long looking for something with which to grip the cap may have thought me absolutely brilliant right then. And that's exactly what an IQ test is: to see how far you deviate from the norm, and in which direction.

• Brohoof 1

Mine's fairly high, though I don't feel comfortable saying the exact number. I was tested when I was six and again when I was nine or so. I wouldn't rely on the internet tests to give you an accurate score. They're more like personality quizzes than actual IQ tests. Furthermore, even an IQ test isn't exactly concurrent with how intelligent someone actually is. There are so many factors that IQ tests just can't take into account, like dedication and self-discipline, that relate to intelligence and success.

I agree, the internet IQ tests are a complete waste of time. I'm interested to know how a lot of you gained your numbers? Was it through a certified way or was it an internet test?

Well, I don't know what mine is now, but when I was eight or nine, my mom had me take an actual IQ from my school. My IQ was about 125 back then, which still surprises me. I'll take another official IQ test as soon as I can find one.

Also, I wasn't near as smart back then. I got last place on spelling bee during that time. This year, I got 2nd place.

Edited by DrAwesomer