Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The best experience of your life...that you never want to repeat

weesh

Tell us an experience that you was very valuable to you, but, for whatever reason, you are glad is in your past.

I used to say "college was the best 5 years of my life that I never want to repeat".

But now, it seems my time in Alaska is the new best 5 years of my life that I never want to repeat.

There were really good activities and relationships in Alaska, but it was just  too dark in the winter.  

Of course, it could be something much shorter.  I could imagine a marathon being something that was fantastic to finish, but a bit too painful to ever want to do again.  

It could even be a negative experience that bore good fruit, like if breaking your leg caused you to meet your future spouse.  

• Brohoof 1

I spent twelve years in college/university which is far longer than what most people experience. While I enjoyed going to post-secondary for so long, it's something I'd rather not do ever again if I can help it.

• Brohoof 1

My wife's liver transplant ... it ended with a successful outcome that put me in a place of almost exquisite gratitude ... and I would rather not have to deal with that again.

• Brohoof 6

I'd say that one of the best experiences I've had was when I finally was able to pull myself out of a dark place. I've already mentioned it several times here, but at one point in my life, I struggled with extreme anxiety, in addition to other things, which greatly interfered with my life. I lost all interest in everything that brought me joy, and believed I was not capable of breaking out of the "mental prison" that I found myself in. 

Eventually, with the help and support of loved ones and counseling, I overcame those obstacles. I am still thankful for that experience because it's not only made me stronger and more confident, but it also sparked my interest in the mind, and helped me to connect and empathize more with others in similar situations. Without that experience, I'm not sure if I ever would have made the decision to work towards being a therapist. 

There is no way I would ever want to go through something like that again, though. :P 

• Brohoof 5

My three years of working fulltime at an overnight job with little to no responsibility. On one hand, it was quite the paradise - I was able to buy whatever I wanted. Hence how I own almost every instrument from the wind ensemble. While I hated working the nightshift, life was simple and peaceful outside of work, rarely any stress.

With that said, it was an empty life. I had given up on music and school. I had escaped that stress, and always feeling inferior as a musician. I knew giving up was the right thing to do. Life was waiting outside - my ex and I were getting close again. I had a great group of friends again. For these reasons it was easy for me to just let go. In reality, I was just throwing my life away, waiting for the end. That may sound silly, I was/am only in my mid-20s, after all. But I have my reasons.

It was a simple life, but empty. How sad was it to surround myself by every woodwind and brass instrument I could ever have, but not be an actual musician anymore?

The best day was moving down to texas to be with my gf. Although I'm happy with her..I kinda wished I'd stayed in ky..barely anyone but my mom talks to me from there and people down here are just awful..worse than ky..and some of the laws are down right stupid. Even getting a drivers license takes forver..while in ky it's a 20 min wait..not two months. It seems that even the technology down here..it's just..out dated.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't consider my high school years to be the "best" experience of my life, but it was a time when I learned quite a bit about myself- and I truly appreciate that. However, I would never want to experience those 4 years again. I am even looking forward to my college years being over!

my 4 years of High School Basketball,

It was really fun and I wasn't that bad as Centre, BUT I WILL NEVER WANT TO THROUGH THAT AGAIN O_O 

balancing all the school work, extracurricular activities and Hobbies became impossible and I had to give a lot of things up ;-; 

Despite all this I still consider it one of the best experiences in my life because the games were still really fun and entertaining to me ^ ^ 

Edited by Vulcan

Boy this is a tough one.  I would probably say high school since my marks improved a lot from past years and I got better socially.  I would not want to repeat it though because there was a lot of stress involved during that time.

I climbed a 70-100 ft. tall Douglass Fir tree without a harness or safety equipment when I was around 10 years old. 

Looking back, it was extremely dangerous, but the experience of being "one with the tree" was worth it. Climbing up from the base of the tree to the canopy, I could see every eco-level of the tree in a unique and intimate way that few others get to experience. 

The view from the top was amazing as well.

2e3cf6f5974fa90b1ab360ed00becd47.jpg

Edited by ElementalFluttershee
  • Brohoof 1

I'd have to say working at McDonalds. It was definitely a really valuable experience for me, it's made me appreciate almost any job I've had afterwards. The weekly activities involved getting verbally abused by the manager every weekend, having to wake up at 3:30 every saturday to get to work by 5 AM, having to always "pretend to be busy" when nothing was happening, having to command an understaffed kitchen while getting verbally abused by the manager for "poor performance", and all while I'm trying to do the best I can. It was an awful experience and I eventually quit after a year and a half because it was simply too much pressure.

But as I've said, it's made me appreciate any job I've had since. Jobs where the boss is an approachable and understanding figure, where you get reasonable, fair and stable hours and where your effort, skills and work ethic is recognized and appreciated. I'm never going to repeat that or work in that sort of toxic environment ever again.

Edited by Celtore

Hard to pick just one, but there have been a lot in the past year and a half or so. Most academic nightmares of my own doing, and the strings attached to those.

Aside from academics I would say going 75 down a highway and having the engine seize up. Somehow getting to the shoulder without accident and having to call the fire department to put out the brush fire I started when a broken piston landed on the side in the grass. One of the first things I said when I saw my parents was "That was more excitement than I bargained for". Still irks me a bit that something as simple as an oil change would have meant it never happened (and it still gets under my skin that I remember hearing my Driver's Ed teacher telling us about the importance of changing oil). Time and time I've been told it wasn't my fault, that the engine burned oil and such, but still...

All things considered, the actual incident and the events after could not have gone better. Again I still think about it from time to time, not because I liked the car, but because I could have ended up dead, or worse my friend who was with me. 

That in addition to the academic struggles (cough, chemistry), culminated into what was just an awful spring and then (first half of) summer. A few weeks before this semester I was able to pull myself out of the academic rut I'd been in, albeit too late for the scholarships. It was a learning experience I'd rather not repeat.

• Brohoof 1

The whole high school experience comes to mind.

yeah, high school was really good, but the thought of going back is pretty horrifying. 

ideally, each five year period of my life trumps the previous 5 from here on out...

I guess I can now count my relationship with my ex. The relationship was amazing. I really thought she was the one. I mean, I really, really, really thought so. We fell for each other after being friends, thus making it more genuine.

It could have been great, but it didn't turn out that way. She coldly stopped acknowledging my existence over a year ago with no explanation whatsoever. Oh well, it's her life. Surely she has her reasons... But if she came back to me now, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to tell her off.

That's the thing, I don't even have to be worried about her doing that. The long, drawn-out drama is over now. I don't ever want to do it again. I'm done with her.

Yet... then I turn around and fall for another like her. My heart seems dead-set on making sure I never have happiness. I suppose that's for the best.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

Training in preparation to join the RAF; going from a spindly mathematics graduate who couldn't do more than two push-ups in a row to a 'successful applicant' who could reach the magical threshold number of 20 in a minute (as well as 35 sit-ups in one minute and 2.4km in 11 minutes and 11 seconds) isn't something that anyone that knew me would have thought possible (I wasn't even sure I could.)

But I did. Running up muddy hills, walking for miles with a backpack laden down with bags of salt, the mind-numbing boredom that was circuit training; it all added up and worked past the threshold (reaching 24/38/10m48s as my best. It's not great, and a lot of people are better, but these are my best scores and I am b****y proud of them.)

I breezed through the aptitude tests and the interview, then a quick medical examination before the actual fitness test, then on to basic training. If not fame and glory then at least employment and a rather out of the ordinary job awaited.

Then I failed the medical. Turns out one of my joints doesn't rotate as well as it should - I'd never noticed it before, and it hadn't affected my physical training up to that point, but rules are rules. Even at a desk job, I might need to run away from the Taliban or whoever, and if it gave way then I would be a liability, so that was that. Thank you for your time, but you can't join any branch in any capacity at all. Even if it hadn't been that, a few months later the MoD explicitly barred anyone who suffered from sleepwalking (or, in my case, night terrors) from all branches (previously they were only barred from the Navy) so I would have been kicked out for that anyway.

So yes, as the adverts promised I did more than I thought I could and became a better me. But I wouldn't want to do it again, as opposed to my relationship with my now ex-girlfriend - I would go through that again and again even with the same ending because it was a wonderful time that had value even by itself. The struggle to join the armed forces was means to an end, and has far less merit in and of itself - and no additional repeat value.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon

• 3 years later...

I have had a few really good ones, and most of them I do want to repeat. Why wouldn't you want them to repeat? Trying to just remember a good moment is not good enough when there are so many bad ones around, that you are forced to deal with at time goes on.

• Brohoof 1

Being the only kid in class to write a decent story for the “memory” prompt for graduation. We had to read them aloud, but I got too scared and declined.

The recognition was nice, but I regretted not reading the paper for about two years so I’d rather not repeat that part.