Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Pokemon sun/Moon- Lurantis

ManaMinori

If anyone is playing Pokemon sun or Moon, there is a new Pokemon called Lurantis, which evolves from Fomantis. I am so in love with this ridiculously adorable cutie pie, and like its Japanese kimono design (Fomantis and Sylveon are bff in my team). How does everyone else feel about Lurantis?

I never played it so I still trying to avoid Spoilers until I get it for Christmas.

as for that Pokemon: Maybe I could catch it but keep it in the box or something like that.

Edited by Zachary

I would use that particular Pokémon myself but it's special attack isn't very good so I have to pass over it in favour of something else.

@@Nightmare Muffin,

Let me tell you, once you reach Mallow's Trial, it'll become significantly less cute. The dumb thing has Synthesis and Solar Blade at Level 24, and if it summons a Castform (which is highly likely), it'll Sunny Day and cause Sythesis's heal to increase, Solar Blade to become a one-turn move, and Flower Guard to activate which heals it of status conditions as well as prevent future ones.

Bah.

But I do love its design, that's for sure. If it weren't for the blade arms, I'd hug it.

@@Ganondorf8,

Well, you're not supposed to use it as a Special Attacker; you'd run a fast physical set on it. It would be a great Double Battler for the reasons listed above; set it up with a Fire-type that knows Sunny Day and that's quite a bit of pain if they can't effectively deal with it quickly.

• Brohoof 1

@@Ganondorf8,

Well, you're not supposed to use it as a Special Attacker; you'd run a fast physical set on it. It would be a great Double Battler for the reasons listed above; set it up with a Fire-type that knows Sunny Day and that's quite a bit of pain if they can't effectively deal with it quickly.

I'm a big fan of special attacking Pokémon so Lurantis isn't exactly suited to my playing style. A shame really as I was hoping either it or Tsareena would focus on special instead of physical.

Yeah totem lurantis was annoying as SHIT, but it only took a second try to beat it

At least it was better than the totem salazzle, who kept summoning the venoshock spam machine 5000

but yeah, gen 7 designs blow gen 6 designs out of the water. half my team right now is gen 7 pokemon in contrast to my pokemon x team which has a grand total of 0 gen 6 pokemon

Lurantis is slow and pure grass, which is a bad defensive type - 5 weaknesses, 3 of which are common - and not that good offensively, 2 of its 3 super effective types being covered by water already.

That said, it can learn the awesome ability that is Contrary. Alas for Lurantis, so can Serperior. Worse, both Pokémon share very similar stats with only 2 notable exceptions: Lurantis has more attack than Serperior and Serperior is more than twice as fast than Lurantis, its speed being on the high end of the scope.

This means Serperior is the better candidate for the Leaf Storm + Contrary strategy, since Leaf Storm should downgrade its own sp.atk by 2 levels but Contrary makes it increase by 2 levels instead, all the while dealing insane damage.

So... Lurantis looks fine but so far, it won't bring anything new to the table. Though maybe once we have established more info about its moveset, we'll be able to see something interesting, who knows?

PS: if you didn't know that Leaf Storm + Contrary strategy Ganondorf, Leaf Storm is a special attack move so it's right up your alley. ;)

• Brohoof 1

PS: if you didn't know that Leaf Storm + Contrary strategy Ganondorf, Leaf Storm is a special attack move so it's right up your alley. ;)

I'm aware of that strategy although I see it as more of a one-trick-pony mentality since it's easy to predict and a lot of types unfortunately are resistant to Grass. Before I purchased my copy of Sun, I looked at the base stats of the new Pokémon, and I was shocked when I saw that so many of them had terrible speed. From the standpoint of a competitive player, they won't be impressed with a lot of the new Pokémon due to that speed issue.

(...) I was shocked when I saw that so many of them had terrible speed. From the standpoint of a competitive player, they won't be impressed with a lot of the new Pokémon due to that speed issue.

True that, but there are still some out there to look out for. My current favourite has to be Wishiwashi. This little fish is just insane! Low speed and hp, sure...but its other stats are godly! I've run a few simulations and Wishiwashi can survive a Psystrike from Mega Mewtwo Y no problem (2/3 of its HP lost), as well as a Thunder from both Mega Mewtwo Y and a Mega Manectric if you spend all EVs on HP and Sp.Def with no Sp.Def boosting nature! That's crazy!

And of course, since there are now Z-moves, that means little Wishiwashi can retaliate with a move that will OHKO said Mewtwo or Manectric. Actually, if not affected by Manectric's Intimidate, it can OHKO it with Earthquake with a 50/50 chance without EV and a Brave nature. An item like Muscle Band, Life Orb, Expert Belt or Choice Band can make it 100%.

There's also Toxapex that looks quite nice with its Protect that inflicts poison against contact moves and its ability that guarantees critical hits against poisoned targets. Couple that with Venoshock and you have an absurdly tanky beast that hits like a truck. Tsareena (and forgot the other one) counter Trickster. There might be more but yeah, that's already some potentially interesting stuff there.

PS: actually, been thinking about something. Know that new Pokémon, Passimian? What if, thanks to its Receiver ability, it received the Wonder Guard ability? Immune to all but fighting-type moves. Though one teeny Roar and strategy broken... :P

True that, but there are still some out there to look out for. My current favourite has to be Wishiwashi. This little fish is just insane! Low speed and hp, sure...but its other stats are godly! I've run a few simulations and Wishiwashi can survive a Psystrike from Mega Mewtwo Y no problem (2/3 of its HP lost), as well as a Thunder from both Mega Mewtwo Y and a Mega Manectric if you spend all EVs on HP and Sp.Def with no Sp.Def boosting nature! That's crazy!

And of course, since there are now Z-moves, that means little Wishiwashi can retaliate with a move that will OHKO said Mewtwo or Manectric. Actually, if not affected by Manectric's Intimidate, it can OHKO it with Earthquake with a 50/50 chance without EV and a Brave nature. An item like Muscle Band, Life Orb, Expert Belt or Choice Band can make it 100%.

There's also Toxapex that looks quite nice with its Protect that inflicts poison against contact moves and its ability that guarantees critical hits against poisoned targets. Couple that with Venoshock and you have an absurdly tanky beast that hits like a truck. Tsareena (and forgot the other one) counter Trickster. There might be more but yeah, that's already some potentially interesting stuff there.

PS: actually, been thinking about something. Know that new Pokémon, Passimian? What if, thanks to its Receiver ability, it received the Wonder Guard ability? Immune to all but fighting-type moves. Though one teeny Roar and strategy broken... :P

The only catch with Z-Moves is that you can only use one per battle period. This was obviously done as a means of balancing out what would otherwise be an overpowered game mechanic. Then again, Mega Rayquaza can abuse Z-Moves due to not needing a Mega Stone to Mega Evolve. Just thinking about that will guarantee it never being allowed in competitive play in the Uber tier since it's absurd all because of that one little gimmick.

With Wishiwashi, you just have to remember that it becomes its weaker form when its HP is less than 25% and since its speed isn't the best thing in the world, you really do need to invest in its HP and the appropriate defence stat if you want it to survive.

I've got a generation seven team brewing in my mind but in order to make it happen, I need the Pokémon Bank update to occur, but that won't be until January.

The only catch with Z-Moves is that you can only use one per battle period. This was obviously done as a means of balancing out what would otherwise be an overpowered game mechanic. Then again, Mega Rayquaza can abuse Z-Moves due to not needing a Mega Stone to Mega Evolve. Just thinking about that will guarantee it never being allowed in competitive play in the Uber tier since it's absurd all because of that one little gimmick.

With Wishiwashi, you just have to remember that it becomes its weaker form when its HP is less than 25% and since its speed isn't the best thing in the world, you really do need to invest in its HP and the appropriate defence stat if you want it to survive.

I've got a generation seven team brewing in my mind but in order to make it happen, I need the Pokémon Bank update to occur, but that won't be until January.

I had forgotten that Rayquaza didn't need no stone... And yet, perfect IV Mega Rayquaza with Choice Band using Dragon Ascent only has 6.3% chance to OHKO a perfect IV Wishiwashi with EVs on HP and DEF and a DEF boosting nature. And Wishiwashi has then a guaranteed OHKO with Z Ice Beam. I still dislike the absurd OP-ness of Mega Rayquaza.

Anyway you're right, Wishiwashi does become much weaker when low on health but only after the turn is over. That means it'll still be able to deliver one strong attack in the worst case, as it's quite hard to OHKO it. In the story, I'm abusing Aqua Ring and Dive to regenerate. Haven't taught it Protect yet, alas. :D

Otherwise what do you think of Lycanroc midday form? It's pure Rock but it has high attack and speed. Think it'll see any use? Since Rock is a rather good offensive type.

• Brohoof 1

Seems like not a great Pokémon, you'd think something that looks like that would have more speed. Might train one post game to see if it can do anything interesting though.

Honestly though, I prefer Tsareena but that's just me. :wacko:

I had forgotten that Rayquaza didn't need no stone... And yet, perfect IV Mega Rayquaza with Choice Band using Dragon Ascent only has 6.3% chance to OHKO a perfect IV Wishiwashi with EVs on HP and DEF and a DEF boosting nature. And Wishiwashi has then a guaranteed OHKO with Z Ice Beam. I still dislike the absurd OP-ness of Mega Rayquaza.

Anyway you're right, Wishiwashi does become much weaker when low on health but only after the turn is over. That means it'll still be able to deliver one strong attack in the worst case, as it's quite hard to OHKO it. In the story, I'm abusing Aqua Ring and Dive to regenerate. Haven't taught it Protect yet, alas. :D

Otherwise what do you think of Lycanroc midday form? It's pure Rock but it has high attack and speed. Think it'll see any use? Since Rock is a rather good offensive type.

Rock is also a bad defensive type with weaknesses to Water, Grass, Fighting, Ground, and Steel. Lycanroc is an interesting Pokémon and I do prefer the midday form given that it's much faster than its alternate form. That difference in speed between the two forms really does make a difference.

Mega Rayquaza happens to be in its own tier when it comes to competitive battling, and the only thing that can take it down would be another one given how powerful it is.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't much care for Lurantis from the moment it was revealed. It has a design which is just so unbelievably bland for a Pokemon that I feel like I've seen it a hundred times before.

If people didn't like it so much (for reasons I do not understand one bit) and talk about it so much I probably would have completely forgotten its existence and then when I saw it appear and was reminded I wouldn't even be able to tell you which generation it was from.

People complain about object Pokemon, but at least they're memorable. This Pokemon is completely and utterly forgettable. It has a design which screams to me that it's been done before.