Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Contemplating writing a horror based fan fiction.

sound_of_fire

If you do horror, don't fall in the traps everyone falls into. You don't need blood and guts everywhere for a scary story. Limit yourself in what you show the reader and the mind fills in the blanks when it's done correctly. Take the famous stabbing scene in Psycho. It would lose a lot of its tension and dread if it was a straight kn shot of someone being stabbed. Same logic applies to writing: sometimes less is more.

(edited)

I comprehend the base ideal of letting the imagination work it's way into the story. I personally dislike writing blood and guts,my preferred means of scaring people is to manipulate their psyche until it's in the darkest dept of humanity bordering insanity then keeping the feeling of tension even though nothing may happen for a while. It's how I learned to write in fourth of fifth grade and I've maintained that slightly psychotic style for all these years. (can't recall which grade it was currently due to lack of sleep.)

Thanks for the advice btw. Also is that a yes or no to me making a fimfiction account?

Edited by sound_of_fire

@@sound_of_fire: I would say yes, normally, given that Fimfiction is essentially the only place where you could post a story and gain any amount of attention, sometimes from well-founded critics, sometimes from fandom celebrities, and sometimes from published writers. (And keep in mind that that is a distinct advantage that the MLP fandom has that almost no other fandom in existence has ever had.) Though only sometimes. It does have what I like to call a skill floor that's higher than many would think, which lends its own advantages and disadvantages. Essentially, what I am saying is that while posting your story to Fimfiction will get you some attention, if it's not "good enough," it won't be a lot, and it may not be the attention you want. Fimfiction is generally pretty good at telling you the true quality of your story, though it will also typically offer you very little in terms of how it went right/wrong.

That's why places like this where you can ask for help can be particularly useful. ;) If you're writing for personal interest and that reason alone, it really doesn't matter where you post it. But if you're looking for some to read your story (as most writers do), or get feedback on it, Fimfiction is the place to do it. Just mind the foliage; it can sting a wee bit.

Why don't you just write an original horror story?  If all you're after is attention (like the above poster went on about), you're potentially beholden to what the fandom wants or expects from you.  But if you create a work that isn't inherently derivative (I mean blatantly and deliberately so), you may ultimately find an audience relying purely on the merits of the original story, characters, and world you created.

@Ziggy+Angel+Rain I have created works of literature before,some happy,some horrifying and some adventurous. The ones that were not based in any fandom held strong as decent stories that made the reader feel like they were a part of the tale,although ones like my pirate themed mlp story on amino got several reads,won me first place in a story writing contest and has the ability to be expanded upon in the future. In all honesty I have no real interest of gaining a mass amount of fans I just want to put my work out there to see how well I do with it and get some criticism on it. I want to improve,but I can't without the help of people's input.

@Taialin Thanks for advice.

Agreed what others said, also to add a scary atmosphere i would suggesting the setting should be place in a old time frame. and while writing suspense, make sure you go in details describing what the person is feeling  when in fear. when you are reaching for a "jumpscare or the suspense moment, this is part where you have to take it slow with the descriptions.Its like Imagine yourself watching horror movie, and think how you are feelings where there is suspense part. and put it in words.

• 2 weeks later...