Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Music for My Paper Pony

compro51

Hey!

I am working on a MLP RPG called "My Paper Pony" (post found here) and I composed some songs for the game. I decided to share them so that you'll be able to enjoy them.

I have played piano since I was young and listened to a lot of video game-related music. Thus, I tried composing some video game music! I am a beginner, but I feel pretty satisfied of what I composed. Feel free to use them for your projects as long as you give credit.  :D

Hope you enjoy! Feedback is welcome.

Edited by compro51
  • Brohoof 2

Ok.

First and foremost...you really need to invest in better software. I was once in your shoes with terrible sounds like these that totally put a damper on our ideas. Find yourself some great quiality virtual instruments, such as Garritan.

Trixie's Theme: This is an ok theme but your baseline staled out early. Plus your key choice didn't really fit Trixie. A minor is suited towards final bosses and Nightmare levels. A key like D# minor would work perfectly. You can use the sinister feeling of D# minor, while sticking in the bright character of the key of F# Major, since F# Major is the relative major of D# minor.

In terms of your chords and progressions, you stuck to the tonic key of a minor with a moving bass. A steady chord progression would help this piece by giving it a foundation for the development of your melody. Here are some suggestions.

i-VII-VI-V

i-III-iv-V

VI-III-i-VII

iv-VI-VII-V

If you don't know what these symbols mean, you can learn more in this theread here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/136619-chords-progressions-modulations-a-guide-to-composing-music/

In terms of your percussion, you needed fills. Fills give the drums flare and add variance. Without fills, the drums would stake out and will quickly disengage your audience.

Trixie's Battle Theme: For this piece, I would honestly create a new theme with some references to the original theme. F# minor is a perfect ballet theme key. Also, why not use a high-end sawtooth lead with an arpeggiating plucked lead? Polysynth strings would go well with this too. Battle themes are usually between 170-190 beats-per-minute. Again with the fills in the drums. They certainly come in handy with transitions.

Intro: Very nice start with the slow strings. But you hit some wrong notes on that guitar for the hook (unless that was intentional). I see what you were trying to do with the harp. It's why I say you must invest in better instruments. People may like your melodies, but your instruments may turn them off.

Victory Jingle: The one thing this jingle is missing is brass. Put brass as the main instrument, specifically trumpet groups.

All in all, these pieces need quite a bit of development. I'm here if you need any help with anything you don't understand in my critique.

Ok.

First and foremost...you really need to invest in better software. I was once in your shoes with terrible sounds like these that totally put a damper on our ideas. Find yourself some great quiality virtual instruments, such as Garritan.

Trixie's Theme: This is an ok theme but your baseline staled out early. Plus your key choice didn't really fit Trixie. A minor is suited towards final bosses and Nightmare levels. A key like D# minor would work perfectly. You can use the sinister feeling of D# minor, while sticking in the bright character of the key of F# Major, since F# Major is the relative major of D# minor.

In terms of your chords and progressions, you stuck to the tonic key of a minor with a moving bass. A steady chord progression would help this piece by giving it a foundation for the development of your melody. Here are some suggestions.

i-VII-VI-V

i-III-iv-V

VI-III-i-VII

iv-VI-VII-V

If you don't know what these symbols mean, you can learn more in this theread here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/136619-chords-progressions-modulations-a-guide-to-composing-music/

In terms of your percussion, you needed fills. Fills give the drums flare and add variance. Without fills, the drums would stake out and will quickly disengage your audience.

Trixie's Battle Theme: For this piece, I would honestly create a new theme with some references to the original theme. F# minor is a perfect ballet theme key. Also, why not use a high-end sawtooth lead with an arpeggiating plucked lead? Polysynth strings would go well with this too. Battle themes are usually between 170-190 beats-per-minute. Again with the fills in the drums. They certainly come in handy with transitions.

Intro: Very nice start with the slow strings. But you hit some wrong notes on that guitar for the hook (unless that was intentional). I see what you were trying to do with the harp. It's why I say you must invest in better instruments. People may like your melodies, but your instruments may turn them off.

Victory Jingle: The one thing this jingle is missing is brass. Put brass as the main instrument, specifically trumpet groups.

All in all, these pieces need quite a bit of development. I'm here if you need any help with anything you don't understand in my critique.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's true. I am using low-quality instruments since they were free and I wasn't ready to invest. :lie:   I didn't know where I can find good instruments and had to work with the ones I have. :rarity:  Now that you mentioned Garritan, I have something to check out. :idea:  I also plan on getting a better studio for composing music. How about FL Studio?

Based on your suggestions, I can definitely improve on Trixie's normal and battle theme since they are the first themes I composed!  :P I will also see if I can improve on the intro and victory jingle.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I plan on composing Pinkie Pie's Theme/Level-Up song.  :pinkie:

Thanks for the feedback.

It's true. I am using low-quality instruments since they were free and I wasn't ready to invest. :lie:   I didn't know where I can find good instruments and had to work with the ones I have. :rarity:  Now that you mentioned Garritan, I have something to check out. :idea:  I also plan on getting a better studio for composing music. How about FL Studio?

Based on your suggestions, I can definitely improve on Trixie's normal and battle theme since they are the first themes I composed!  :P I will also see if I can improve on the intro and victory jingle.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I plan on composing Pinkie Pie's Theme/Level-Up song.  :pinkie:

Hey, you know what...mind if I work with you on the music? And tbh, FL Studio isn't really the best software because really, you're working with loops and putting them together. If you want to create something from scratch, get yourself a small MIDI keyboard and garritan virtual instruments. You can then work from there. 

Hey, you know what...mind if I work with you on the music? And tbh, FL Studio isn't really the best software because really, you're working with loops and putting them together. If you want to create something from scratch, get yourself a small MIDI keyboard and garritan virtual instruments. You can then work from there. 

Oh. That will be great. Thanks.  :)

No prob. So...what theme do you want me to work on? I have a lot on my schedule since I am participating in the Hearth's Warming/Christmas Music Contest from Pony.fm

Right now, I would like you to work on the battle theme, which gets played during normal battles. Since the battle theme is the most important theme in RPGs and everyone playing the game will always hear/remember it, I postponed composing it until I have better experience or find someone with much better experience.  :fluttershy:

I would like the battle theme not to be epic and dramatic; instead, I would like it to be upbeat, fun, and catchy with some jazz, somewhat similar to Paper Mario's battle theme and Paper Mario's TYD battle theme. The theme doesn't have to be long and it needs to have 3 different starter beats/jingles: one for normal encounter, one for first strike (where the jingle congrats you), and one for enemy first strike (where the jingle shows that you failed).

There is no deadline and you can take your time, but keep me up-to-date.  :) 

Thanks for the help. If you have further questions, let me know. I will love to hear how the theme sounds.  :D

Right now, I would like you to work on the battle theme, which gets played during normal battles. Since the battle theme is the most important theme in RPGs and everyone playing the game will always hear/remember it, I postponed composing it until I have better experience or find someone with much better experience.  :fluttershy:

I would like the battle theme not to be epic and dramatic; instead, I would like it to be upbeat, fun, and catchy with some jazz, somewhat similar to Paper Mario's battle theme and Paper Mario's TYD battle theme. The theme doesn't have to be long and it needs to have 3 different starter beats/jingles: one for normal encounter, one for first strike (where the jingle congrats you), and one for enemy first strike (where the jingle shows that you failed).

There is no deadline and you can take your time, but keep me up-to-date.  :)

Thanks for the help. If you have further questions, let me know. I will love to hear how the theme sounds.  :D

Oh yeah...I've played Paper Mario before and know exactly what you're talking about. I've got a huge project I'm working on, so I can't start them until after December 18th, which is when I plan to have my project done. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I've got a MIDI USB keyboard for Christmas and got myself the Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 and FL Studio. With these along with Thunder Dash's feedback, I am improving the theme songs and jingles for my game. So far, here is Trixie's Theme version 2.

https://soundcloud.com/compro51/mlprpg-trixies-theme-v2

I learned about chord progressions and drum fills to complete this theme. I used the Harpsichord as the main instrument for this theme (and possibly the battle theme). The drum pattern is simple and catchy, IMO. Since this theme is an adaptation of "Tricks Up My Sleeve", I created the chord progression based on the melodies, thanks to this YouTube video.

I am working on the other themes and jingles and will keep you posted. Again, feedback is welcomed. I hope you find this theme to be an improvement. I am learning a lot about music composition and have an appreciation for those who are naturally talented for it!  :)

• Brohoof 1

Hey! I've got a MIDI USB keyboard for Christmas and got myself the Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 and FL Studio. With these along with Thunder Dash's feedback, I am improving the theme songs and jingles for my game. So far, here is Trixie's Theme version 2.

https://soundcloud.com/compro51/mlprpg-trixies-theme-v2

I learned about chord progressions and drum fills to complete this theme. I used the Harpsichord as the main instrument for this theme (and possibly the battle theme). The drum pattern is simple and catchy, IMO. Since this theme is an adaptation of "Tricks Up My Sleeve", I created the chord progression based on the melodies, thanks to this YouTube video.

I am working on the other themes and jingles and will keep you posted. Again, feedback is welcomed. I hope you find this theme to be an improvement. I am learning a lot about music composition and have an appreciation for those who are naturally talented for it!  :)

Ok. Watch your left hand on the harpsichord. It should be flowing continuously with non-repeating 8th or 16th notes. Harpsichord music usually contains a continuous stream of notes in the left hand, especially if it's soloing or the main instrument. Also, some moving strings would work as well. Furthermore, be careful not to return to a chord you played previously in a progression. When yii hit the VII, move to either the iv, VI or VII. Keep at it, you're slowly getting there.

Ok. Watch your left hand on the harpsichord. It should be flowing continuously with non-repeating 8th or 16th notes. Harpsichord music usually contains a continuous stream of notes in the left hand, especially if it's soloing or the main instrument. Also, some moving strings would work as well. Furthermore, be careful not to return to a chord you played previously in a progression. When yii hit the VII, move to either the iv, VI or VII. Keep at it, you're slowly getting there.

Thanks for the feedback.

I do feel more satisfied of the theme. I am focusing on programming my game (and improving my other musical themes) so I will not improve on Trixie's Theme for now. If I do get back to improving this theme, I may consider making the harpsichord flow more continuously and maybe add strings. But, I rather not change the chord progressions since I think they are sufficient.

Again, thanks for your input.  :fluttershy:

• 2 weeks later...

Alright. I'm finished with improving Trixie's Battle Theme, which is a battle remix of the original theme.

https://pony.fm/tracks/24040-my-paper-pony-trixies-battle-theme

I know diddly squat about music theory, besides stuff I remember from elementary school years ago :P:lol: but I could totally see myself enjoying this in the context of the game. Very nice, catchy, and fun :D
  • Brohoof 1

I like it, it's pretty catchy  :P I don't know as much about music theory as the others do in this thread but I listened to all of your versions of the song and I really like your final version a lot!

I know diddly squat about music theory, besides stuff I remember from elementary school years ago :P:lol: but I could totally see myself enjoying this in the context of the game. Very nice, catchy, and fun :D

Thanks! One of my goals is to have the music be catchy! I'm glad you like it.  :D

• Brohoof 1

Alright. I'm finished with improving Trixie's Battle Theme, which is a battle remix of the original theme.

https://pony.fm/tracks/24040-my-paper-pony-trixies-battle-theme

Hate to be a party pooper but I'm going to be honest. Along with the instruments and the structure...this piece sounds very cheesy. The battle theme needs to be faster, around 170bpm even. I see you were trying to go for a build-up effect with that chromatic run but it just did not work out. You'll need a straight chromatic run on a deeper instrument like a fat plucked lead or string bass. In addition, your strings could've been playing small licks in between the melody line. You cannot rely on the harpsichord to drive your piece. You need an instrument like a plucked lead to perform fast runs on the melody since this is a battle theme. Your percussion needs the most help. It is the one part that makes the song cheesy. Also, give the piece some low brass, mainly grouped brass such as low horns and low trombones. Timpani would also work as well.

All in all, this piece needs a ton of work...remember, I'm here if you need any help.

Hate to be a party pooper but I'm going to be honest. Along with the instruments and the structure...this piece sounds very cheesy. The battle theme needs to be faster, around 170bpm even. I see you were trying to go for a build-up effect with that chromatic run but it just did not work out. You'll need a straight chromatic run on a deeper instrument like a fat plucked lead or string bass. In addition, your strings could've been playing small licks in between the melody line. You cannot rely on the harpsichord to drive your piece. You need an instrument like a plucked lead to perform fast runs on the melody since this is a battle theme. Your percussion needs the most help. It is the one part that makes the song cheesy. Also, give the piece some low brass, mainly grouped brass such as low horns and low trombones. Timpani would also work as well.

All in all, this piece needs a ton of work...remember, I'm here if you need any help.

Oh dear. I'm sorry you didn't like this version of the theme. I guess it was more of a downgrade to you than an upgrade.  :-P   If I ever get back to improving this theme, I'll think about it.  ;)

Anyways, when you are able, I would like to hear your normal battle theme for the game. Remember, I don't want it to be dramatic and epic; I want it to be upbeat, catchy, and fun!  :pinkie:

Alright. I improved the introduction.

https://soundcloud.com/compro51/mlprpg-intro-v2

Oh dear. I'm sorry you didn't like this version of the theme. I guess it was more of a downgrade to you than an upgrade.  :-P   If I ever get back to improving this theme, I'll think about it.  ;)

Anyways, when you are able, I would like to hear your normal battle theme for the game. Remember, I don't want it to be dramatic and epic; I want it to be upbeat, catchy, and fun!  :pinkie:

Alright. I improved the introduction.

https://soundcloud.com/compro51/mlprpg-intro-v2

Alright, I shall have the battle theme to you today. How long do you want it?

Alright, I shall have the battle theme to you today. How long do you want it?

Doesn't have to be long, but a minimum of 30 seconds (I know, it can be quite short, but the original Paper Mario battle theme is pretty short itself).

Doesn't have to be long, but a minimum of 30 seconds (I know, it can be quite short, but the original Paper Mario battle theme is pretty short itself).

I'll do about 1 minute or 2...depending on how I make the melody. 

I could also do varying intros for depending if you make the first strike or the foe strikes first

Edited by C. Thunder Dash

Okay. Just so I won't make the mistake in uploading different versions of Trixie's Battle Theme into Soundcloud and Pony.fm, I've attached another version of the theme.

attachicon.gifTrixieBattleThemeV3.wav

@C. Thunder Dash

I hope this was a better improvement.  :kindness:

Ok. 

Still needs work...the problem is now you have too many instruments playing the melody. I see you got the build up and timpani in there. But now, there's too much high-hat, and you still need more fills in there. Here, I'll send you my version of the battle theme in PM. It will be original of course. 

Okay. Here is version 3.1. I removed/changed sequences of few of the instruments that overdone the melody, made the high-hats less frequent, and added a couple of more fills. I'm not too good with percussion so the new fills may not be significant compared to the others.

TrixieBattleThemeV3_1.wav

In other news, from what I heard and read about the harpsichord, it is actually pretty terrible if used improperly and most frequently used by amateur musicians (I guess I am one of them, but I am improving  :kindness: ). Thus, I plan to use a different instrument for Trixie's Theme. What do you suggest I use? I'm thinking an instrument that relates to gypsy, kind of like how Trixie travels around Equestria presenting magic yet we know that the magic are tricks and she thinks that she is all great and powerful. (Trixie is one of my favorite ponies BTW).

Okay. Here is version 3.1. I removed/changed sequences of few of the instruments that overdone the melody, made the high-hats less frequent, and added a couple of more fills. I'm not too good with percussion so the new fills may not be significant compared to the others.

attachicon.gifTrixieBattleThemeV3_1.wav

In other news, from what I heard and read about the harpsichord, it is actually pretty terrible if used improperly and most frequently used by amateur musicians (I guess I am one of them, but I am improving  :kindness: ). Thus, I plan to use a different instrument for Trixie's Theme. What do you suggest I use? I'm thinking an instrument that relates to gypsy, kind of like how Trixie travels around Equestria presenting magic yet we know that the magic are tricks and she thinks that she is all great and powerful. (Trixie is one of my favorite ponies BTW).

Use a plucked lead of some sort. Synth bass may work. But do you mind if you hold on until later? I'm working on a battle theme for you.