Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Music for My Paper Pony

compro51

Use a plucked lead of some sort. Synth bass may work. But do you mind if you hold on until later? I'm working on a battle theme for you.

Oh. You don't have to respond right away. I'm just posting my revision and plans for upcoming music pieces. Take your time. Don't stay up too late like what I'm doing right now.  :lol:

Oh. You don't have to respond right away. I'm just posting my revision and plans for upcoming music pieces. Take your time. Don't stay up too late like what I'm doing right now.  :lol:

All my stuff is shut off and I'm just up in bed...but I'll have my version to ya soon.

Doesn't have to be long, but a minimum of 30 seconds (I know, it can be quite short, but the original Paper Mario battle theme is pretty short itself).

Alright, here you go. Hope you like it. 

My Paper Pony Trixie Battle Theme.wav

All my stuff is shut off and I'm just up in bed...but I'll have my version to ya soon.

Alright, here you go. Hope you like it. 

attachicon.gifMy Paper Pony Trixie Battle Theme.wav

It is a nice tune and has interesting choice of synth instruments. The percussion is good. The problem is that it sounds way too sinister, especially if it is about Trixie who really isn't sinister. In addition, it doesn't get me into the battle zone; it's not catchy and upbeat enough. Otherwise, it is a decent battle theme and I may use it in the game in a different environment and context.

For this game's music in general, I want them to be more towards realistic instruments than synthesizers (synthesized instruments may be okay). There is nothing wrong with synthesizers, but it doesn't fit the style and context of the game. The entire game is main happy and upbeat, nothing dramatic (except for a few occasions in the story but there isn't a lot). Thus, the music should fit that style. There may be a few occasions that synthesizers may work in the game, but for now, realistic instruments is the way to go.

I like to thank you, C. Thunder Dash, for helping me with my version of Trixie's Battle Theme and presenting your own version. I am still looking forward to hearing the normal battle theme. If that is also completely synthesized, . . . well . . . let me hear it first before I make a decision. Otherwise, thanks a bunch.  :D

It is a nice tune and has interesting choice of synth instruments. The percussion is good. The problem is that it sounds way too sinister, especially if it is about Trixie who really isn't sinister. In addition, it doesn't get me into the battle zone; it's not catchy and upbeat enough. Otherwise, it is a decent battle theme and I may use it in the game in a different environment and context.

For this game's music in general, I want them to be more towards realistic instruments than synthesizers (synthesized instruments may be okay). There is nothing wrong with synthesizers, but it doesn't fit the style and context of the game. The entire game is main happy and upbeat, nothing dramatic (except for a few occasions in the story but there isn't a lot). Thus, the music should fit that style. There may be a few occasions that synthesizers may work in the game, but for now, realistic instruments is the way to go.

I like to thank you, C. Thunder Dash, for helping me with my version of Trixie's Battle Theme and presenting your own version. I am still looking forward to hearing the normal battle theme. If that is also completely synthesized, . . . well . . . let me hear it first before I make a decision. Otherwise, thanks a bunch.  :D

Realistic instruments you say? Well you're in for a major surprise. My workstation's got the top-of-the-line state of the art sound engines that make things as real as it gets. What themes would you like me to do now?

Realistic instruments you say? Well you're in for a major surprise. My workstation's got the top-of-the-line state of the art sound engines that make things as real as it gets. What themes would you like me to do now?

Alright. There is a theme that is needed in the game that gets played in an area called "Road to Canterlot". This area acts as a tutorial level that teaches the gamer some of the mechanics of the game. I want the music in this area to be casual. It should be more upbeat than easy listening. It doesn't have to be catchy or complex. It should be something nice to listen too but gets you going and makes you happy.

Please read the spoiler section to get the context of the area.

Twilight, Spike, Rarity, and the OC partner needed to see Princess Celestia so they travel on hoove from Ponyville to Canterlot (the train and carriage are under maintenance). Twilight and the OC unicorn needed to see Princess Celestia while Rarity just wanted to find new materials in Canterlot. Spike came along as an assistant. It is a nice day out. They face several obstacles and easy enemies such as parasprites, but everything else is fine. They travel through a valley and along the canyon side to reach Canterlot.

Keep the context and style of the game in mind as you compose the background music for the area.

Listening back on the Paper Mario soundtrack (especially the N64 version), the music does use synthesized instruments. :ooh:  But, with technology back then, they have to come up with something to sound close to real instruments.  For this Paper-style game, I still want the main instruments to be realistic, but if it is needed, you can add synthesized sounds and instruments to compliment the main instruments. I recommend listening to the Paper Mario soundtrack and the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door soundtrack to get some ideas and inspiration.

Let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing it. Thanks again.  :fluttershy:

Alright. There is a theme that is needed in the game that gets played in an area called "Road to Canterlot". This area acts as a tutorial level that teaches the gamer some of the mechanics of the game. I want the music in this area to be casual. It should be more upbeat than easy listening. It doesn't have to be catchy or complex. It should be something nice to listen too but gets you going and makes you happy.

Please read the spoiler section to get the context of the area.

Twilight, Spike, Rarity, and the OC partner needed to see Princess Celestia so they travel on hoove from Ponyville to Canterlot (the train and carriage are under maintenance). Twilight and the OC unicorn needed to see Princess Celestia while Rarity just wanted to find new materials in Canterlot. Spike came along as an assistant. It is a nice day out. They face several obstacles and easy enemies such as parasprites, but everything else is fine. They travel through a valley and along the canyon side to reach Canterlot.

Keep the context and style of the game in mind as you compose the background music for the area.

Listening back on the Paper Mario soundtrack (especially the N64 version), the music does use synthesized instruments. :ooh:  But, with technology back then, they have to come up with something to sound close to real instruments.  For this Paper-style game, I still want the main instruments to be realistic, but if it is needed, you can add synthesized sounds and instruments to compliment the main instruments. I recommend listening to the Paper Mario soundtrack and the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door soundtrack to get some ideas and inspiration.

Let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing it. Thanks again.  :fluttershy:

Here's what I did for the track. Hope you like it!

My Paper Pony Tutorial.wav

Here's what I did for the track. Hope you like it!

attachicon.gifMy Paper Pony Tutorial.wav

I like it!  :)

It is more upbeat than easy listening and fits well with the area. It does have that melody that says, "You are in a tutorial." The use of the strings is good. I think adding one or two more complimentary instruments may help it be more interesting (perhaps percussion), but it is good for now.

I'll let you know if there are other themes that I want you to work on.

• 1 month later...

In my spare time, I went ahead and revised "Trixie's Theme". I completely removed the harpsichord since I think it sounds poor and I changed it to be more simple and "mischievous" in feeling, something that makes you say "Oh boy. It's her again". I hope you like it!

https://pony.fm/tracks/24375-my-paper-pony-trixies-theme

Edited by compro51

Ok. 

It's a decent retake. However, I'd get rid of the swing. Your percussion overpowers almost everything, and you limited yourself to the i and the VII knowing this piece is in the key of e minor. It is still not in the Trixie form. It is now a tip/trick/tutorial tune outside of battle or a special shop area. A Trixie Theme is more of a straight Smooth Jazz theme. Here, I can give you my take on her theme this time if you want. Sorry for my long absence from the project, I became extremely busy. 

Ok. 

It's a decent retake. However, I'd get rid of the swing. Your percussion overpowers almost everything, and you limited yourself to the i and the VII knowing this piece is in the key of e minor. It is still not in the Trixie form. It is now a tip/trick/tutorial tune outside of battle or a special shop area. A Trixie Theme is more of a straight Smooth Jazz theme. Here, I can give you my take on her theme this time if you want. Sorry for my long absence from the project, I became extremely busy. 

Thanks for the input. I want to keep the swing, but I see that the percussion is a bit overpowering. The chord progression does contain more than the i and VII in the non-intro phases of the track, but the intro does only contain the i and the VII. Perhaps the intro needs to have at least one more chord? The tune does sound like it could fit in a special shop area, but fitting in a tip/trick/tutorial tune is almost exactly what I want since the battle against Trixie is the very first battle in the game (although Twilight will see her again later in the game).

If you want to take on her theme, go ahead. I would like to hear it! Also, take your time. I haven't focused on my project for a while and just getting back to it.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I want to keep the swing, but I see that the percussion is a bit overpowering. The chord progression does contain more than the i and VII in the non-intro phases of the track, but the intro does only contain the i and the VII. Perhaps the intro needs to have at least one more chord? The tune does sound like it could fit in a special shop area, but fitting in a tip/trick/tutorial tune is almost exactly what I want since the battle against Trixie is the very first battle in the game (although Twilight will see her again later in the game).

If you want to take on her theme, go ahead. I would like to hear it! Also, take your time. I haven't focused on my project for a while and just getting back to it.

Thanks

Alright, I shall work on it as soon as I get the time.