Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Spike ever get another song?

Tilgoreth

Dragons age differently? Where did they say that?

I don't think we know how dragons age. Spike got bigger when he started hoarding stuff from ponyville. But he lost his personality. He's also bigger than when he first hatched so he obviously aged. But Dragon aging is still pretty vague.

I am NOT Anit Spike. In fact, I really like the little fellow. 

I just don't think the song or the singing for that matter, were very good. 

In fact, it was kinda cringe-worthy.

Well I actually think it was one of the best songs in the show. But I have my reasons for that.

Give him an episode, but another song? Who's next? Coco Pommel? Granny Smith??? They already cheated with Luna by using a entirely different voice in this Christmas episode, because her true voice doesn't sound that good. Spike is even worse.

Wait you don't think Cathy sound good?

It doesn't have to be said. Twilight Sparkle hatched Spike when she was very young, yet in present time, Twilight is an adult and Spike is very young. That means dragons age differently than ponies and spend more time as babies.

In human years Spike would be a teenager. But in dragon years he is probably just a little kid. I think they might age similarly to vampires. Like a vampire who is 120 might be considers just a young adult still. And a vampire who is 800 would be the equivalent of someone who was 80. But dragon aging is never explained in the show. There's also no confirmation on immortality. Technically Discord, Celestia, and Luna could all just have very long life spans.

It doesn't have to be said. Twilight Sparkle hatched Spike when she was very young, yet in present time, Twilight is an adult and Spike is very young. That means dragons age differently than ponies and spend more time as babies.

Uhhh once again how do you know? Spike would probably be 16 years old he does hang out with the teenage dragons after all.

• Brohoof 1

Uhhh once again how do you know? Spike would probably be 16 years old he does hang out with the teenage dragons after all.

He's getting based on what we've seen.

Only as Spike's singing voice. Not terrible, but not good enough for another turn imo.

Well in my opinion I thought her voice was great.

They've been calling him a baby dragon the whole show. That's how I know. I trust the ponies he's best friends with on this subject matter, bro.

• Brohoof 1

They've been calling him a baby dragon the whole show. That's how I know. I trust the ponies he's best friends with on this subject matter, bro.

Older people call teenagers babies a lot of times. Heck even older brothers and sisters just 2 years older would call their younger siblings babies. Many times the baby word is used as an endearing way and it's usually used almost only by Rarity who does have different affection than the other ponies. Also he hangs out with the teenage dragons as he described... and the teenage dragons hung out with him, would be weird if teenagers hang out with a baby.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Older people call teenagers babies a lot of times. Heck even older brothers and sisters just 2 years older would call their younger siblings babies. Many times the baby word is used as an endearing way and it's usually used almost only by Rarity who does have different affection than the other ponies.

That seems like a cop-out to me. Spike is definitely a baby dragon. They say it in the show, the merchandise, and the wiki identifies him as such. At most he might be a toddler in dragon years. Unless you think dragons age the same way ponies do, even though in most stories dragons live for a very long time and age slowly.

• Brohoof 1

That seems like a cop-out to me. Spike is definitely a baby dragon. They say it in the show, the merchandise, and the wiki identifies him as such. At most he might be a toddler in dragon years. Unless you think dragons age the same way ponies do, even though in most stories dragons live for a very long time and age slowly.

Well just keep thinking it's a cop out plenty of evidence indicating he is in teenage years. You should know the merchandise isn't reliable at all in relation to the show and the wiki isn't either in fact the merchandise has a way of babifying everything making everything seem more pleasing to children. He could merely be a runt as the teenagers tell him. I mean why would teenage dragons hang out with a baby? Since the show was made by us humans in relation to how human teenagers and babies go you ever think it makes sense teenagers hanging out with a baby? There's also the fact his way of talking is much more older than the CMC and the CMC are even older than babies. And the final piece of evidence is that he's Twilight's assistant aka her intern. The youngest interns can be is 16 years old, the fact that Twilight doesn't treat him like a baby but almost like someone she could rely on says much about his age.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Well just keep thinking it's a cop out plenty of evidence indicating he is in teenage years. You should know the merchandise isn't reliable at all in relation to the show and the wiki isn't either. He could merely be a runt as the teenagers tell him. I mean why would teenage dragons hang out with a baby? Since the show was made by us humans in relation to how human teenagers and babies go you ever think it makes sense teenagers hanging out with a baby?

Spike is a talking baby dragon, I don't see what's so strange about him hanging out with adults, teenagers, or kids. You have no evidence he's in his teenage years and there's far more evidence to the contrary. As I said, the show says it, as well as the merchandise and all related material. If you want to believe he's a teenager, go ahead, bro. I won't stop you. A lot of people, including myself, will disagree with you though.

• Brohoof 1

Spike is a talking baby dragon, I don't see what's so strange about him hanging out with adults, teenagers, or kids. You have no evidence he's in his teenage years and there's far more evidence to the contrary. As I said, the show says it, as well as the merchandise and all related material. If you want to believe he's a teenager, go ahead, bro. I won't stop you. A lot of people, including myself, will disagree with you though.

Well just keep thinking it's a cop out plenty of evidence indicating he is in teenage years. You should know the merchandise isn't reliable at all in relation to the show and the wiki isn't either in fact the merchandise has a way of babifying everything making everything seem more pleasing to children. He could merely be a runt as the teenagers tell him. I mean why would teenage dragons hang out with a baby? Since the show was made by us humans in relation to how human teenagers and babies go you ever think it makes sense teenagers hanging out with a baby? There's also the fact his way of talking is much more older than the CMC and the CMC are even older than babies. And the final piece of evidence is that he's Twilight's assistant aka her intern. The youngest interns can be is 16 years old, the fact that Twilight doesn't treat him like a baby but almost like someone she could rely on says much about his age.

I mean if you think he's a baby... then I suppose you see it normal for teenagers to accept and hang out with babies... as well as babies being used for intern work.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Dragons age differently. I've said that every post. Let's assume dragons live for one thousand years. If Spike is about sixteen years old, then compared to his one thousand year lifespan, he's still a baby, and the characters call him a baby.

That stuff about assistants and interns is bunk, by the way. Spike is Twilight's assistant because she hatched him and they grew up together. He's not an intern. Not to mention this is a completely different world than Earth and we don't know the age ranges at jobs for all. As far as we can tell, you can start working as soon as you want to in Equestria.

Just because they don't always treat Spike like a baby doesn't mean he's not a baby. He's a baby dragon, not a baby pony. They age differently, learn differently, and thus are treated differently.

• Brohoof 1

Dragons age differently. I've said that every post. Let's assume dragons live for one thousand years. If Spike is about sixteen years old, then compared to his one thousand year lifespan, he's still a baby, and the characters call him a baby.

That stuff about assistants and interns is bunk, by the way. Spike is Twilight's assistant because she hatched him and they grew up together. He's not an intern. Not to mention this is a completely different world than Earth and we don't know the age ranges at jobs for all. As far as we can tell, you can start working as soon as you want to in Equestria.

Just because they don't always treat Spike like a baby doesn't mean he's not a baby. He's a baby dragon, not a baby pony. They age differently, learn differently, and thus are treated differently.

Dragons age differently? Honest question, where is this implied?

Babies are not given the same duties as an intern heck he's actually more of an assistant which in the service sector is usually given to people around the teenage years as well. Uhhh yes babies are treated in a whole different aspect than those that aren't babies and Spike wasn't treated like a baby in a crib.

Also the teenage dragons hung out with him. Once again why in the world would human adult writers write about teenagers hanging out with babies? They are the same species right?

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Babies are not given the same duties as an intern heck he's actually more of an assistant which in the service sector is usually given to people around the teenage years as well. Uhhh yes babies are treated in a whole different aspect than those that aren't babies and Spike wasn't treated like a baby in a crib.

The fact that sixteen years into Spike's life and everyone still calls him a baby dragon is what shows that dragons age differently. It's not implied, it's strictly stated by the show and all related material. Not to mention that in general dragons are shown to age differently in all other fantasy worlds: Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Elder Scrolls, you name it. Dragons can usually live for hundreds to thousands of years, thus each stage of their life (baby, toddler, kid, teenager, adult) lasts far longer than other species.

You're comparing Earth to Equestria. Spike is a baby dragon not a baby pony, thus he is given more duties. He might be a baby, but he is a sixteen year old baby that can do more than a baby pony can.

• Brohoof 1

The fact that sixteen years into Spike's life and everyone still calls him a baby dragon is what shows that dragons age differently. It's not implied, it's strictly stated by the show and all related material. Not to mention that in general dragons are shown to age differently in all other fantasy worlds: Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Elder Scrolls, you name it. Dragons can usually live for hundreds to thousands of years, thus each stage of their life (baby, toddler, kid, teenager, adult) lasts far longer than other species.

You're comparing Earth to Equestria. Spike is a baby dragon not a baby pony, thus he is given more duties. He might be a baby, but he is a sixteen year old baby that can do more than a baby pony can.

Uh huh... that's why 

The teenage dragons hung out with him. Once again why in the world would human adult writers write about teenagers hanging out with babies? They are the same species right?

And the dragons let a baby dragon participate in the trial for the sceptor. Garble doesn't treat him like a baby at all. Ember doesn't treat him like a baby as well. Makes a lot of sense. That would also mean it would be weird for people to ship Spike with Ember because obviously her father didn't tell her off because she's a baby but that she was too small so that indicates Ember is much older I would wager around teenage years which Spike would be around as well that's why the pairing happened.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Uh huh... that's why 

The teenage dragons hung out with him. Once again why in the world would human adult writers write about teenagers hanging out with babies? They are the same species right?

And the dragons let a baby dragon participate in the trial for the sceptor. Makes a lot of sense. That would also mean it would be weird for people to ship Spike with Ember because obviously her father didn't tell her off because she's a baby but that she was too small so that indicates Ember is much older I would wager around teenage years which Spike would be around as well that's why the pairing happened.

You're reaching pretty hard there, bro. We have adults hanging out with Spike as well all the time. Spike also hangs out with kids. I don't see what's so strange about teenage dragons hanging out with him. In fact, why is it that Twilight and the others call Spike a baby but call Garble and his gang teenagers? It's because Spike is not a teenager like them. He's a baby.

Spike and Ember didn't have a romantic relationship in the show, so that's not evidence of anything. There is no pairing in canon. That's all fanwank. As for allowing a pony to compete in a trial for the scepter, as I said before, the dragons are a different species than ponies and have different rules.

• Brohoof 1

You're reaching pretty hard there, bro. We have adults hanging out with Spike as well all the time. Spike also hangs out with kids. I don't see what's so strange about teenage dragons hanging out with him. In fact, why is it that Twilight and the others call Spike a baby but call Garble and his gang teenagers? It's because Spike is not a teenager like them. He's a baby.

Spike and Ember didn't have a romantic relationship in the show, so that's not evidence of anything. There is no pairing in canon. That's all fanwank. As for allowing a pony to compete in a trial for the scepter, as I said before, the dragons are a different species than ponies and have different rules.

Spike does not hang out with kids in the way they are equals. But if you still insist on that that would make Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Applejack the same ages as the CMC when they come to oversea them. I'm reaching hard? Looks more like you are actually. So yeah you admit you don't think it's weird for teenage dragons hanging out with a baby. Which is weird to me that you think so. In a cartoon where things are set very obvious to our world's standards, teenagers hanging out and keeping a baby in their circle big NO, second a baby participating in the trial of the sceptor makes no sense.

Besides I would say what you said was a cop out about the ponies not treating him like a baby is because he's a dragon baby? I highly doubt if dragons did live several thousands of years they would still be babies after say 3 years you know why? Because they would of matured by then. The lifespan of a creature or human in which they are called baby is when their species population on average on where they stop being the typical baby that suckles and can't talk is the years of being a baby, so how do you know dragons don't stop being babies at the age of 3? If he stopped being a baby after the age of 3 he's no longer a baby no matter how many years his species live.

Besides you still failed to show me where dragons live thousands of years.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Spike does not hang out with kids in the way they are equals. I'm reaching hard? Looks more like you are actually. So yeah you admit you don't think it's weird for teenage dragons hanging out with a baby. Which is weird to me that you think so. In a cartoon where things are set very obvious to our world's standards, teenagers hanging out and keeping a baby in their circle big NO, second a baby participating in the trial of the sceptor makes no sense.

Besides I would say what you said was a cop out about the ponies not treating him like a baby is because he's a dragon baby? I highly doubt if dragons did live several thousands of years they would still be babies after say 3 years you know why? Because they would of matured by then. The lifespan of a creature or human in which they are called baby is when their species population on average on where they stop being the typical baby that suckles and can't talk is the years of being a baby, so how do you know dragons don't stop being babies at the age of 3? If he stopped being a baby after the age of 3 he's no longer a baby no matter how many years his species live.

He's a baby, bro. You can't turn "reaching" around on me when everyone except you agrees that he's a baby. How many other fans out there think he's a teenager? There are plenty of moments in plenty of cartoons where weird age ranges hang out with each other. In fact, in most cartoons, kids act way too mature for their age. And as a baby dragon, Spike is going to act differently than other babies since that stage of his life lasts longer.

Because the characters call him a baby dragon. That's how I know he's a baby. And how do you know how long a dragon's baby stage lasts? You have less evidence to support your position than I do and you're reaching for "internships" and Spike hanging around with teenagers to prove he's not a baby but neither of those things are hard evidence.

• Brohoof 1

He's a baby, bro. You can't turn "reaching" around on me when everyone except you agrees that he's a baby. How many other fans out there think he's a teenager? There are plenty of moments in plenty of cartoons where weird age ranges hang out with each other. In fact, in most cartoons, kids act way too mature for their age. And as a baby dragon, Spike is going to act differently than other babies since that stage of his life lasts longer.

Because the characters call him a baby dragon. That's how I know he's a baby. And how do you know how long a dragon's baby stage lasts? You have less evidence to support your position than I do and you're reaching for "internships" and Spike hanging around with teenagers to prove he's not a baby but neither of those things are hard evidence.

Who is everyone? Also even if everyone but me says that where's the evidence? Because then everyone is wrong when they cannot present the evidence.  Once again you failed to provide information where it said dragons age differently in MLP, you can't explain why the writers would put teenagers hanging out with a baby like an equal age, and the trial of sceptor making any sense to be allowed to be given to a baby and having Ember allying with a baby like another equal aged individual. Kids acting mature for their age in cartoons is more or less is created in cartoons as a "we know everything" mentality that kids have when they don't really know much which shows when they learn moral lessons in the shows plus they still hang out with kids closer to their ages. They don't go hanging out with babies in their cribs and diapers. Seriously you are really the one reaching here with this.

Bring up the evidence, where's the dragon's age? And even if they live thousands of years there isn't indication of when they stop being classed as babies because that could be the same age as human or pony years when they stop being a baby like 2 years so even if they live millions of years if they stop suckling and wearing diapers in 2 years those 2 years are classed as their baby years. Even 2 years is long for a baby. And for the last time why would it make sense for teenage dragons to hang out with a baby dragon and consider him an age equal? The Spike fitting in with the teenage dragons is a tried trope in which a teenager tries to fit with the popular teenager group. Then there's the way Ember treats him, she treats him like a runt not like a baby. There's a difference. A runt is one that they treat as the same age but they don't give any kind of nurturing care for them.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Who is everyone? Also even if everyone but me says that where's the evidence? Once again you failed to provide information where it said dragons age differently in MLP, you can't explain why the writers would put teenagers hanging out with a baby like an equal age, and the trial of sceptor making any sense to be allowed to be given to a baby and having Ember allying with a baby like another equal aged individual. Kids acting mature for their age in cartoons is more or less is created in cartoons as a "we know everything" mentality that kids have when they don't really know much which shows when they learn moral lessons in the shows plus they still hang out with kids closer to their ages. They don't go hanging out with babies in their cribs and diapers. Seriously you are really the one reaching here with this.

Bring up the evidence, where's the dragon's age? And even if they live thousands of years there isn't indication of when they stop being classed as babies because that could be the same age as human or pony years when they stop being a baby like 2 years so even if they live millions of years if they stop suckling and wearing diapers in 2 years those 2 years are classed as their baby years. Even 2 years is long for a baby. And for the last time why would it make sense for teenage dragons to hang out with a baby dragon and consider him an age equal? The Spike fitting in with the teenage dragons is a tried trope in which a teenager tries to fit with the popular teenager group. Then there's the way Ember treats him, she treats him like a runt not like a baby. There's a difference. A runt is one that they treat as the same age but they don't give any kind of nurturing care for them.

We're arguing over something that has been accepted in the fandom for some time. I haven't seen legions of fans saying Spike is a teenager, especially when all evidence points to him being a baby.

Essentially, you are arguing from a standpoint of something that has never been said. I have the stronger evidence but you refuse to see it. He has been explicitly called a baby on the show while you're relying on implications. Explicit statements are going to trump all of your implied arguments. Here are a few of your arguments:

- Spike hung out with teenagers and was allowed to compete for the scepter alongside Ember.

- Spike is not treated solely as a baby or child by everyone.

- Spike is essentially an intern for Twilight Sparkle.

- We don't know how dragons age.

Those are all well and good, but it has been explicitly stated in the show and all related materials that Spike is a male baby dragon. That automatically trumps everything you're throwing at me. That's why I came to the conclusion that dragons must age differently, because for Spike to be a baby, they have to age differently.

In the end, bro, we're going to have to agree to disagree. It'd be different if they never called him a baby dragon, but it's been said by characters on the show and in merchandise. If you think he's not a baby, you're going to have to argue with explicit evidence and that's not going to work.

Edited by Rainblow H. Ash
  • Brohoof 1

We're arguing over something that has been accepted in the fandom for some time. I haven't seen legions of fans saying Spike is a teenager, especially when all evidence points to him being a baby.

Essentially, you are arguing from a standpoint of something that has never been said. I have the stronger evidence but you refuse to see it. He has been explicitly called a baby on the show while you're relying on implications. Explicit statements are going to trump all of your implied arguments. Here are a few of your arguments:

- Spike hung out with teenagers and was allowed to compete for the scepter alongside Ember.

Those are all well and good, but it has been explicitly stated in the show and all related materials that Spike is a male baby dragon. That automatically trumps everything you're throwing at me. That's why I came to the conclusion that dragons must age differently, because for Spike to be a baby, they have to age differently.

In the end, bro, we're going to have to agree to disagree. It'd be different if they never called him a baby dragon, but it's been said by characters on the show and in merchandise. If you think he's not a baby, you're going to have to argue with explicit evidence and that's not going to work.

How can you say you have stronger evidence when you don't even have any at all? You see all my points, you cannot refute any of them that means you have nothing to say on the case all you have to say is that you think he's a baby dragon and got nothing else to say on the case.

A lot of things are accepted by the fandom pal that doesn't mean they're right. You know like all the shippings in the fandom? The way they like to portray ponies sexually as well? I suppose all that is "evidence" to you right? Are you going to sit and tell me what is accepted in the fandom is your evidence? That means in your mind right now Rainbow Dash and Applejack are a married couple I suppose and that is the truth in your mind? I'm really not surprised if that is the case.

And all in all stop trying to put the fandom into this, that's a serious cop out pal, stop trying to get a group to look silly on your behalf. Far as I'm concerned a fandom is not truth it's just people just having fun.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

[quwould probably be a baby in Dragon years.te name=Rainblow H. Ash" post="4762511" timestamp="1481493432]They've been calling him a baby dragon the whole show. That's how I know. I trust the ponies he's best friends with on this subject matter, bro.He w

He would be a baby in Dragon years.

Older people call teenagers babies a lot of times. Heck even older brothers and sisters just 2 years older would call their younger siblings babies. Many times the baby word is used as an endearing way and it's usually used almost only by Rarity who does have different affection than the other ponies. Also he hangs out with the teenage dragons as he described... and the teenage dragons hung out with him, would be weird if teenagers hang out with a baby.

I think he would be a baby in Dragon years.

Just think of dragon aging the same way as vampire aging.

In human years he would be a teenager. But in dragon years he would be a baby.

He would be a teenager in human years. A baby in dragon years.

I mean if you think he's a baby... then I suppose you see it normal for teenagers to accept and hang out with babies... as well as babies being used for intern work.

Spike is a teenager in human years. In dragon years he is a baby.

While also being Twilight' s assistant he is also her best friend. So his obligation isn't just a a financial one. Though Spike doesn't get paid.

Also the teenage dragons hung out with him. Once again why in the world would human adult writers write about teenagers hanging out with babies? They are the same species right?

He's inferring because the show never explains how dragons age. We know they get bigger by hoarding and greed. But Spike and the other dragons age by normal means also.

Exactly dragons he differently than ponies.

Uh huh... that's why 

And the dragons let a baby dragon participate in the trial for the sceptor. Garble doesn't treat him like a baby at all. Ember doesn't treat him like a baby as well. Makes a lot of sense. That would also mean it would be weird for people to ship Spike with Ember because obviously her father didn't tell her off because she's a baby but that she was too small so that indicates Ember is much older I would wager around teenage years which Spike would be around as well that's why the pairing happened.

Technically Ember and Spike could be different dragon breeds and age differently.

A good example is how Big Mac hangs out with Spike. Big Mac is probably close to 24 and the Mane Six are only slightly younger.

Spike does not hang out with kids in the way they are equals. But if you still insist on that that would make Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Applejack the same ages as the CMC when they come to oversea them. I'm reaching hard? Looks more like you are actually. So yeah you admit you don't think it's weird for teenage dragons hanging out with a baby. Which is weird to me that you think so. In a cartoon where things are set very obvious to our world's standards, teenagers hanging out and keeping a baby in their circle big NO, second a baby participating in the trial of the sceptor makes no sense.

Besides you still failed to show me where dragons live thousands of years.

He's inferring about dragon life spans I'm other fantasy worlds. We also do know that long life spans to exist in Equstria. As evidence by Celestia, Luna, and Discord.

The easiest argument is to just say he's a cartoon character. I remember Lauren Faust said something along the lines that the mane six are old enough to be independent but young enough to deal with the storylines that they do. She also said that cartoon ages don't mean much. For example Sponge Bob is at least in is twenties or thirties. But most times he has the maturity of a child. My point is that it doesn't matter how old Spike is. Is it normal that a bunch of twenty year old women would hang out with a teeange boy? No. But it's a cartoon so who cares.

Who is everyone? Also even if everyone but me says that where's the evidence? Because then everyone is wrong when they cannot present the evidence.  Once again you failed to provide information where it said dragons age differently in MLP, you can't explain why the writers would put teenagers hanging out with a baby like an equal age, and the trial of sceptor making any sense to be allowed to be given to a baby and having Ember allying with a baby like another equal aged individual. Kids acting mature for their age in cartoons is more or less is created in cartoons as a "we know everything" mentality that kids have when they don't really know much which shows when they learn moral lessons in the shows plus they still hang out with kids closer to their ages. They don't go hanging out with babies in their cribs and diapers. Seriously you are really the one reaching here with this.

He's making an inference based on the limited information in the show and other fantasy worlds.

They probably age similarly to vampires.

How can you say you have stronger evidence when you don't even have any at all? You see all my points, you cannot refute any of them that means you have nothing to say on the case all you have to say is that you think he's a baby dragon and got nothing else to say on the case.

A lot of things are accepted by the fandom pal that doesn't mean they're right. You know like all the shippings in the fandom? The way they like to portray ponies sexually as well? I suppose all that is "evidence" to you right? Are you going to sit and tell me what is accepted in the fandom is your evidence? That means in your mind right now Rainbow Dash and Applejack are a married couple I suppose and that is the truth in your mind? I'm really not surprised if that is the case.

And all in all stop trying to put the fandom into this, that's a serious cop out pal, stop trying to get a group to look silly on your behalf. Far as I'm concerned a fandom is not truth it's just people just having fun.

He said Spike was a baby in Dragon years. But in pony/human years he is a teenager. Either that or the writers just don't care about continuity.
  • Brohoof 1

@@TheImmortalLegendG,

As a side note, as far as I know, Vampires don't age in most fiction. They stay the same age as when they were bitten. Do you have a reference for Vampire aging in some pieces of fiction?

In the Cirque De Freak book series they exempt lain vampire aging. Basically for every ten years vampires age only one year. So buy the time they are 800 they have only see 80 years.
  • Brohoof 1