Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do a large number of bronies have a mental illness?

Vlazamal

A lot of people have mental disorders. From memory, my abnormal psychology professor once told our class that 47% of people will develop a mental disorder sometime in their lives. Not a lot of people disclose their disorders

• Brohoof 4

Look at this

post-39706-0-66898700-1480897805_thumb.png

And do you feel better now?

Many of those people are here to find help with the ponies. Many of those people see help and safety in these cute things. It's right when people with mental illnesses are here. Where else can you get such heart healing cuteness and kind people?

• Brohoof 5

A lot of people have mental disorders. From memory, my abnormal psychology professor once told our class that 47% of people will develop a mental disorder sometime in their lives. Not a lot of people disclose their disorders

It seems to be concentrated in this fandom. Seriously.

And do you feel better now?

Many of those people are here to find help with the ponies. Many of those people see help and safety in these cute things. It's right when people with mental illnesses are here. Where else can you get such heart healing cuteness and kind people?

I do, and nowhere. That ones a keeper :3

It seems to be concentrated in this fandom. Seriously.

Bronies get socially destroyed. No 1 likes them. Those with nothing to lose don't have any risks for being known to like the show, or even seeing an episode

(I only have stupid, unresearched/tested personal theories)

• Brohoof 3

Bronies get socially destroyed. No 1 likes them. Those with nothing to lose don't have any risks for being known to like the show, or even seeing an episode

(I only have stupid, unresearched/tested personal theories)

that would explain why high profile people (US senator Ted Cruz for example) would choose to be bronies too

oh dude i was socially destroyed as soon as i entered school. i wasn't told i was autistic until i was 12 -.- 

• Brohoof 1

About 1/3 people have mental disorders so they really are not that uncommon to begin with.  The way I think about it, there are more people with mental disorders on the internet just because it is an easier way to socialize.  It is easier to talk with people over text rather then face to face (at least I find it so) since it is harder to judge on certain things.  The internet can also be less overwhelming if you have social issues and most mental issues affect social skills.

• Brohoof 1

Well, science classifies a lot of things as mental disorders so it's really unavoidable.

That being said, I imagine a show like this is a kind of magnet for people who are looking for positivity in their lives, and if your mental state is flawed, then you will probably be wanting for some positivity.

• Brohoof 2

A lot of mental disorders are made up. I bet anyone could go to a psychiatrist and they would diagnose them with some kind of mental disorder, requiring expensive drugs and treatment. EVERYONE these days has ADHD (made up) or Asperger (nothing). You can disagree with me but I'm entitled to my opinion, and I bet a lot of people agree with me to some extent.

You can disagree with me but I'm entitled to my opinion, and I bet a lot of people agree with me to some extent.

Opinions can be wrong, you know; particularly when there are people in the scientific or psychiatric community who might call your opinion ignorant.  "It is my opinion that the Earth is actually flat."  There you go.  I wouldn't personally say that your opinion is ignorant, though; I think it's more lacking in empathy and devoid of any personal experience that would color it otherwise.  You don't have these conditions you think were "made up" (which, to some extent, is true - the symptoms or behaviors had to be recognized and given a unifying name), so they are therefore nonexistent.

But why, exactly, are you "entitled" to your opinion?  Where, precisely, is said entitlement guaranteed by anyone or anything?  That really sounds like something you just made up to artificially bolster your position.

• Brohoof 3

Just wanted to mention that you (and your professor) are accurate.

To the OP, perhaps some fandoms may somehow appeal or draw in people with mental health disorders or specific personality traits that tend to come across as disorders. One thing to note - the contradiction that the internet both allows easy fabrication, as well as empowers people to more freely share, is something that we should try and factor in.

It is certainly possible, but I think there is more at play that just this specific fandom.

But why, exactly, are you "entitled" to your opinion?  Where, precisely, is said entitlement guaranteed by anyone or anything?  That really sounds like something you just made up to artificially bolster your position.

The First Amendment to the US Constitution? A philosophical question would require a long answer. Basically I just said that because I knew people would jump down my throat for questioning the status quo. It seems to me that it has become fashionable these days to brag about how you have some kind of disorder. Whatever, I'm not afraid to state what I think. If I'm wrong then whatever.

The First Amendment to the US Constitution? A philosophical question would require a long answer. Basically I just said that because I knew people would jump down my throat for questioning the status quo. It seems to me that it has become fashionable these days to brag about how you have some kind of disorder. Whatever, I'm not afraid to state what I think. If I'm wrong then whatever.

You are truly a heroic and unflinching individual.  Standing up for your dis-beliefs in so contentious and dangerous a venue as this; a pony forum.

• Brohoof 2

I've seen a mention of ASD. While that is a disorder that is in the DSM-V, we should be cery careful with tossing that one around with personality traits and personality disorders since ASD is not a personality disorder. It is neurological with a wholly different pathology. Any salient information on why 'x' is attracted to MLP should separate neurological disorders, especially ones that may be congenital.

• Brohoof 1

I guess I could be qualified as having one. While I am autistic, I was just diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder a few days back. So yes, I do have a mental illness and I am a brony.

I do agree with how some can be misdiagnosed, but I don't see it being as "everyone" or "near everyone" being misdiagnosed. Far from it. Though since this isn't the Debate Pit, I'll leave it at that.

or Asperger (nothing).

I know there are people who just spend too much time on a computer and suffer socially, but there are people who actually suffer from that. For example I (note: I do not have Aspergers, just autism, which is similar.) had to learn manually (and am still learning) how use facial expressions, inflect my voice, and understand how to find what others are thinking through their faces. It's taking me a long time, but that's physical. That is only "scratching the surface", I have many more problems that I do not want to disclose. I really want it to be made up, but it's not. There's nothing I can do about that but to keep studying, practicing, and improve on what I'm naturally disadvantaged at.

• Brohoof 1

I don't, but as others have said, it's quite common for people to develop something at some point in their lives.

While misdiagnosis exists, I honestly don't think that most self-diagnose deliberately for attention. Rather, I suspect that most do it to give themselves an explanation for whatever they're going through. Just because you're not clinically ill doesn't mean you can't benefit from talking to a professional about your problems.

• Brohoof 2

A lot of mental disorders are made up. I bet anyone could go to a psychiatrist and they would diagnose them with some kind of mental disorder, requiring expensive drugs and treatment. EVERYONE these days has ADHD (made up) or Asperger (nothing). You can disagree with me but I'm entitled to my opinion, and I bet a lot of people agree with me to some extent.

you're not wrong, a lot of these "mental disorders" seem to be made up to sell drugs. just look at schools where boys are drugged into submission for wanting to rough house and play, I'm sorry but you lock up kids in a school all day and expect them to sit still while they get bored to death you are going to have problems. used to be it was just boys being boys and now a kid wanting to run and play is a "disorder" that requires them to be drugged

• Brohoof 1

A lot of mental disorders are made up.

Of course they are. Since everything in existence is chemical, a quark doesn't care if you call it a quark or if you call it Steve. Unfortunately, humans tend to require nomenclature to categorize aspects of the observable and abstract universe. Whether it is math, medical terminology, or names of characters on a cartoon, our species made up words for observable and empirical behavioral abnormalities. If you mean that people do not display compulsive, narcissistic, or depressive traits to their detriment (a Cliff's Notes definition of disorder) ... well you would be wrong with that assertion.

I bet anyone could go to a psychiatrist and they would diagnose them with some kind of mental disorder, requiring expensive drugs and treatment. EVERYONE these days has ADHD (made up) or Asperger (nothing).

There is a lot to unpack there that is also incorrect. My wife has turned away many many clients who have no mental health disorders, or has continued non specific CBT therapy without any diagnosis. Usually the client and my wife simply end things. Mental health treatment is actually cheap when compared to most other health care. Finally, image scans validate the neurological abnormality of all spectra of ASD, including Aspergers.

I am interested in seeing a peer reviewed article that says otherwise.

• Brohoof 6

I've seen a fair number of them posting both here on these forums and over on the discussion threads of Equestria Daily. Of course, I also have a mental disability so I do count myself in both regards.