Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fanfic idea

ggg-2

It's Father's Day in Equestria, and Shining Armor......isn't having the best time. First he falls out of bed. Then he drops half his breakfast on the dining room floor and has an unusually stressful day at work. And to top it all off, Cadance is called to attend a princess summit with Celestia Luna and Twilight, leaving him to foalsit Flurry Heart by himself. But he soon gets the best Father's Day gift he could imagine to make it all worthwhile: his daughter's first word.

• 3 weeks later...

If you write it be sure to not spoil the surprise, being his daughter's first word. Also consider foreshadowing to keep people's interest, if it doesn't harm the flow of the story. Unless people like sad or drama, in which case prolly don't need foreshadowing. But I am not a pro writer so take it with a grain of salt.

• 2 months later...

Contrary to muh boy, Pippy above me, I'd say to go the opposite route. Don't have any foreshadowing at all! Mind you, don't think I've ever met foreshadowing I liked. I mean, unless its subtle enough to where you only see it looking back or rereading, the practice is basically spoiling stuff before it happens. No, if you ask me, if, when & do you write it, have it blindsight the audience as much as it does Shining Armor! If anything, really fits the subject matter too. A baby's first words can't be planned or coached, it'll happen when it does, unexpectedly!  Well,most likely, I ain't never had no kid.

And, eh, "Princess Summit" kind of seems almost cliche. Seems to taunt villainry & trouble to have every kingdom leader be called in at the same time away from their perspective kingdoms. There is likely a hundred things that could ask for Cadence's attention since she does hold a higher title & role than her horsey hubby. Shining would likely wind up being the stay-at-home-stallion often mostly because it'd be easier to have somepony stand in for the Captain of the Guard rather than the Princess who is holding the crystal cringdom together. While they are royalty, I do somehow doubt Shining has too many takers to be nanny for Lil' Miss Orbital Friendship Lazer Cannon.

And like I said, I don' know much about raisin' a kid, the words 'Daddy' or 'Mommy" are likely common since that seems to be the words the parents aim for, but it still seems a tad bit cliche there too for that to be her first words. There's a good opportunity there to have it be something entirely random or moderately embarrassing. Usually tends to be the easier, monosyllabic words after all, I think.

Classic "Trading days" Fanfic.

Princess Luna / Princess Celesta trade duties for the day/night for one day.

Luna has to learn what a terrible hassle dealing with all those ponies is.

Celestia has to learn how loanly Luna's night is.