Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Which Subject In School Did/Do You Struggle With The Most?

Venomous

Pretty much all of them?  I would say math but each school I went to made me take the same class over and over again so I pretty much had an easy time with math...  It was not doing homework or doing well on tests/quizzes that kept my grades low.

Mostly just math in general, which is bad, because I want to program eventually, and everyone tells me that math is very important in all computer programming.

Math was always a nightmare for me. It was the best way to make me feel like a failure at life. Because I would somehow mess something up in the process of solving a problem. Math is the bane of my existence.

Musically, aural theory is a struggle for me. I'm just kind of bad at all of it and I got worse over the years. D:

Why does everyone say math is so hard? Algebra is a breeze, Calculus is not that bad, Statistics is pretty fun. I never took Computer Science but I was never interested in learning Java or those other languages.

I only have some issues learning Chemistry and some time ago Biology was painfully difficult. I don't remember most things from my Biology classes, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

Wow, I must be in the minority cause I never had any real trouble with math. What I DID struggle with were Geography and History. Trying to remember all those dates and locations made my head spin all throughout high school. 

Pretty much everything! XD Also because I really hated school and didn't care most of the time but still mangaged to gradutate from high school for some reason. Absolutely hate math but I actually do have to use it at work so I had to get used to it. The only classes I actually did well in school were Automotives, Metalworking/Welding, PE/AM Swim, and Russian. I somehow managed fail Photography even though I actually enjoyed that class. :huh: 

I absolutely hated Geometry and Pre-Algebra. Research Methods in college was also quite bland and confusing the majority of the time.

Math.

Im surprised how many people here all say Math, must be something in common with our psyche.

The only other subjects to ever give me trouble were Physics and Chemistry. But Math was the worst.

Why does everyone say math is so hard? Algebra is a breeze, Calculus is not that bad, Statistics is pretty fun. I never took Computer Science but I was never interested in learning Java or those other languages.

For all that I do believe that everyone is capable of learning mathematics to a decent level, I think that some people do find it harder than others. So far as I can tell, even if you narrow it down to students that study STEM* subjects there is a particular mindset that is needed to really 'get' maths. And I can understand how those who are inclined towards the humanities tend to approach problems in a radically different way and thus don't take too well to maths.

There is an element of what interests you as well. I remember having a conversation in the school common room and getting inordinately excited about the idea that if you have a sock draw with socks that are either red or blue in it, then it doesn't matter what the ratio is - in order to guarantee that you get two socks of the same colour you only need to take out three socks. The division in the room was between those that thought 'that's obvious' (almost everyone else) and those that immediately generalised for the case of n colours of socks (exactly two of us) and got over-excited whilst doing so. At university level, the Intermediate Value Theorem is just as 'obvious,' but if you don't care why then there's no way that you are going to slog through hours of abstract workings to prove that it's true (for the given conditions.)

It should therefore come as no surprise that the subjects I struggled the most with were the humanities. I wasn't bad at them, exactly, I just wasn't as interested in them and it always took that bit more effort to think about the topics in an abstract way. Apart from history, which I liked.

*Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon

Math. And I still do struggle pretty badly with 

it. I have a math tutor and get help at my college campus.

I'm actually very scared for my final to come up because the grade I have right now in Algebra 2 is a 72% 

and I'm trying as hard as I can

For years I told myself Math was hard. That I'd never be able to grasp high level math like Calculus. I thought even that topic was insurmountable because a cartoon character I was familiar with, who seemed incomprehensibly brilliant, was named after it.

Cuthbert-Calculus.jpg

Then I decided "nuts" to the challenge and learnt it. And now I'm most of the way through Mechanical Engineering school.

It goes to show that if you put your mind to it, nothing is impossible to learn.

• Brohoof 1

Why does everyone say math is so hard?

Because for us it *is* hard?

I could say the same thing for Music History. Every college I have been to Music History is hated by almost the entire music program. They find it hard and fail every listening exam and have to take the classes more than once. I don't understand this at all, but instead of being snide about it, I've had to think about why it is they're struggling and I'm not. Certainly they're better performers than I, and probably better at Aural Theory than I am. We all excel at some subjects and struggle major with others. That's just the way it is.

It goes to show that if you put your mind to it, nothing is impossible to learn.

Bah. I don't even like math. I don't even want to learn it. I'm done. So done.

Math. And I still do struggle pretty badly with 

it. I have a math tutor and get help at my college campus.

I'm actually very scared for my final to come up because the grade I have right now in Algebra 2 is a 72% 

and I'm trying as hard as I can

I understand. The only reason I came out of College Algebra alive was because of a major ice storm canceling Finals and a practice exam going in as my final exam score.

May the weather be in your favor, too. lol

• Brohoof 1

I don't really loath math so much as the way it is described or explained sometimes. I do ok in most math classes, but I excel when it is applied to something or I can visualize it. Almost every class from this semester on is heavily math based so I will need to be well prepared. 
 However I will say I do hate Chemistry. High school was manageable, college just wrecked me. It was a combination of being new to college and the way many college classes work and getting on a studying schedule. The classes were also a required course for any engineering major, and it is designed as a weed-out class. Pretty much everyone I knew loathed the class(es).

Then I decided "nuts" to the challenge and learnt it. And now I'm most of the way through Mechanical Engineering school.

From what I have heard and my own experience thus far, engineering is less about how smart you are and more about how stubborn and determined one is.

• Brohoof 1

Because for us it *is* hard?

Algebra doesn't feel remotely hard at all, which is hard to understand why some people actually find it difficult. The only issue I can see is if you're doing something like trigonometry which is a bit annoying but not that bad with a bit of memorization. 

I'm just a bit annoyed because back in high school the requirements were so low for Math that it was basically laughable. You can easily graduate high school with basically geometry (granted though, if you want to enter university the bar is much higher), which even for jobs not requiring university education is rather low. The United States is terrible at math, at least with the education system we have for it right now. :/ 

Math, and science to a lesser extent.  I've simply never been all that great with keeping up with numbers.  I add this, I subtract that, oh wait was I supposed to multiply?  Wait, what am I supposed to do with this sign and how the hell am I to solve this with a fraction?!  I now take chemistry and it's pretty math-heavy, so both subjects take me hours whereas I can get my other stuff done in a flash.

Algebra doesn't feel remotely hard at all, which is hard to understand why some people actually find it difficult.

History, art, and English don't feel remotely hard at all, which is hard to understand why some people actually find it difficult.  What I do understand is that different things come easier to different people and different things often demand different mindsets.  It's like taking a survivalist in the woods and putting them in a city.  You may be a survivalist, but forests and cities are two different animals.

Edited by Light of Night

Good to know that math is like the number one things people struggle with... I don't feel so alone now xD

I suck at math and its like because there too many numbers so once i get it and do other things I forget the other thing that I literally JUST LEARNED! 

I struggled the most with government and history. I have a difficult time understanding anything social studies. Math, chemistry, Spanish, and anatomy weren't that hard for me- I'd just memorize formulas or vocabulary words and spit answers out without much thought. But to understand specific instances of human interaction and the effects of those instances? I have a hard time wrapping my head around those things.

I mostly blame elementary school. They would briefly mention "yeah we used to own slaves" or "yeah, the Holocaust and world war 2 were related" but that was it. Suddenly, in high school, they went really specific into things on the assumption you already have a bunch of knowledge on it.

All of 'em...

But seriously, my strongest point has always been math. But my weakest was always English. I'm trilingual, so that didn't help my case.

I'm also southern and thus have a pretty bad southern drawl. Though I'm trying to change that.

And that's about all the reasons I can think about to justify my English stupidity...

Edit: as proof, I'm editing my damn post from my many typos

Edited by Kagami-sama

i hated Math Methods (it covers the following  differential calculus, integral calculus, circular functions, probability and CAS a lot of CAS) i needed a Casio Classpad ii the things like $300 i only used it for two years and never touched it again... 

any way i struggled with it because im one of those people that can work stuff out in my head and Math Methods REQUIRES you to show your working out and part of the answer is saying like 8 different steps on how you got to the answer 

i hated the class because the teacher would ask for my answer and i would give it to her but she would say i was wrong and i never knew why until she explained to me the working out is part of the answer 

the other one is chemistry i hate it a lot of it is nonsensical mathematical problems and i could never get the hang of it