Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Which Subject In School Did/Do You Struggle With The Most?

Venomous

Which class(es) did/do you struggle with the most in school? Whether it be middle school, high school, college, etc.

• Brohoof 1

OMG MATH!

In elementary school and middle school it was pretty easy I was like top of the class n stuff.

Then high school came and I was just left behind in the dirt. To make matters worse my goddamn teachers would assign 5-6 page packets as HW almost every day. It took me like 30 mins to solve one problem. It really destroyed my self-esteem. I ended up not doing them at all and turning them in blank so I wouldn't get a missing homework detention.

Senior year we had 6 different teachers (they could never find someone qualified enough) for per-calculus and that class tore me up and physics, don't even get me started.

But I passed all those class, and then college pre-calc happened. Failed terribly, or should I say barely passed with a 60% ahahaha

Right now I'm taking a statistics class and Idk I try hard to learn and I was doing hella good for a most of it but I just can't keep the material inside my head.

So yea...........math sucks XD

• Brohoof 2

I always had trouble with Math. No matter how hard I tried, it was a subject that just didn't settle well with me, and I really didn't like it when the instructors said that you couldn't use calculators to solve problems.

• Brohoof 2

Anything regarding math... My senior year involved a lot of algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and economics. I had to drop trigonometry entirely because I didn't understand it, and replaced it with economics. Economics I understood the most cause I also took anthropology which went over a bit of economics, and a personal finance class prior to it. As for algebra, and geometry I took two classes in person, during the same year then did one course of both over computer.

All that math they force fed me... I already forgot majority of it... those were some of my most stressful times in life.

All these math entries. I mean, yeah, I hate math because anything beyond basic math is pretty much useless out of math intensive fields like engineering or the sciences. I never really struggled with it, though, nor with any academic subject, really. My worst subjects were always the ones in which I was required to exercise, because I was diagnosed with a condition that led to me leading a very sedentary lifestyle when I was seven years old. Undue physical stress will cause this illness to flare up uncontrollably, and will inevitably land me in the hospital for several days.

As far as any subjects I actually did poorly in (outside of just being lazy sometimes and outright neglecting my work out of apathy)... um... can't say I ever really struggled with anything.

Id say maths but I didn't even try so there was no struggle.. I'd have to say it was geography.. I loved learning about other places around the world but I couldn't seem to retain any skills needed for the tests DX

• Brohoof 1

Some classes I always struggled with in school were math and history. They were both a struggle throughout my school years. When listening to the teacher's lecture, I could understand it to a certain degree. When it came time to remember and/or take a test, I couldn't seem to remember certain things. I couldn't remember certain things like dates and important events when it came to history. I also couldn't understand some math formulas and certain problems when it came to math.

History and Religion.. Hated to read those stupid long texts. I really don't like to read, it makes me sleepy. Especially when it's about religion which I have 0 interest for.

first one to not say maths, c-combobreaker!

I really don't go well with math. It's just so daunting and all those things you learn in math will only be apply very little in life. If High School wanted math to really benefit you, how about teaching finances or money management because those two are a lot more viable as far as math goes. I'll gladly give up one or two math classes for one of those instead!

I have a hard time with math. No matter how hard I pay attention I can't seem to pay attention.

Though oddly enough, I do tend to use stuff like ratios and geometric math often. As in I actually use and measure out these things when I do art. But most everything else it passes through on ear or out the other or I have a hard time in general.

History and Religion.. Hated to read those stupid long texts. I really don't like to read, it makes me sleepy. Especially when it's about religion which I have 0 interest for.

first one to not say maths, c-combobreaker!

Out of passing curiosity, have you thought to try a Sarah Vowell book? If anything you could try to get a hold of an audio-book, which is what I do a lot.

She approaches history and its telling with a sort of humor. Some have criticized her as being a little "cute" in her telling. But she likes to draw parables between then and now and by her own admittance in one of her books tackles history less from the dusty realm of transcribing letters and diaries but from the visual front as well. Comparing what a place would have looked like then, to what it's like now.

Here's some snippits from her reading her own books. First from her book on the modern history of Hawaii as it applies to the arrival of US missionaries on the Hawaiian islands shortly after their brutal unification by King Kamehameha and its ultimate annexation by the US at the turn of the century:

If you're tackling the subject of learning history at the school level then that there might be your problem. For the sake of convenience - or even nationalist ideas - a lot of really great content is cut or stripped of anything but the very core framework that establishes a few basic principles. For example, if you're from the US: British Puritan pilgrams settled the US and landed at what they called Plymoth rock, suffered through a winter or two, got helped by natives, had big mythical feast. Later sons of the Puritans spread out over the 13 colonies with no mention made of the Seneca and local tribes of the area and then fought a war with Great Britain, during which an almost god-like and unchallenged George Washington lead the Patriots to victory, they had independence, and then in 1860 we fought a civil war for [enter context based on region here and then "reee" when someone says otherwise]. And then America was great.

Sorta misses out on the juicy shit like how before Washington became Washington he effectively kicked off the war that was the root of colonial grumblings at the British,  that the entire ride as the top military commander in the Continental Army was mired by almost Game of Thrones tier politics (including a French volunteer commander trying to usurp Washington's office, Benedict Arnold's wife flashing her tits at Washington in a plead to convince him she didn't know anything about her husbands betrayal). Neither do they really do much to put into perspective how much a cluster fuck the Civil War was for a while and no one ever says anything (at least to me) how the Battle of Pitsburgh Landing was a long string of "How the hell do you let this happen?"

And then we skip over the Indians, the Gold Rush is glossed over as well as the economic crash caused by so much gold, and of course Hawaii is just "there" in comparison to the few words said for the purchase of Alaska from Russia.

Really, just give it a shot. Outside the text books history is more anime than anime.

@@AaronMk, I just didn't like to read and history meant lots of reading. Even now after I've finished school I still don't like to read and I'm not really into history either but thanks anyway.

@@AaronMk, I just didn't like to read and history meant lots of reading. Even now after I've finished school I still don't like to read and I'm not really into history either but thanks anyway.

There's always the musical Hamilton.

All of them? In High School at least, I pretty much had issues with every single subject in one way or another. Most of all, math. Specifically Algebra. I must be an idiot too because most people seemed to be able to get the hang of that. I barely could and now, I don't even remember any of it.

maths and chemistry.

My head just cant get around numbers and equations at all. I had extra help and one to one sessions with teachers just to get me through my basic GCSEs.

Words im fine with. I love to write in my spare time, but back when i was in school and college I struggled with essay writing. My brain fails to analyse into instructions, which is why im a bad teacher. I cant really explain how I do things (eg: art tutorials) I just do it. It held me back in A Level (college) art as I barely wrote down my development and analysis workings. I Hate having to stop when im working on something. 

These days (8 years later) I could very well do essay work and I utterly regret not continuing History. I now work in a job with my Dad that deals with Historic buildings and houses and my Mum is Historian, so you'd think it would be the natural thing to go into further History, but no, I think at that point in my life all I wanted to do was be an artist, which I am freelance and as a hobby but its not a means to live off. I also have a general interest in history and am always looking for it when im out anywhere. So argh.

High school chemistry and science in general were probably my worst subjects. I already wasn't great at math at the time, but chemistry had a few extra areas I could get lost, such as labs with questions covering content and properties we never covered in class and the weird properties of matter. I didnt give a shit about paraffin wax back then and I give even less of a shit about it today.

Physics was pretty bad too because of the sheer amount of equation memorization. A bit of a shame really because I like physics; a lot of it is legitimately practical math. Ive grown to like this field of science even more as my prowess in math has increased.

English and Math were quite difficult for me.  With math I used to get stuck on problems and spend hours staring at the page trying to figure out what to do.   I hated all those tinny little rules and those questions that required you to put stuff together from past units which I never seemed to understand.  Thankfully I took lower level math then redid some courses at University level which helped a lot and made it doable for me.  With English I started off in lower level then switched to University level as well which helped a lot.  Taking history courses (which I loved) helped since it gave me extra practice for writing essays.

Pre highshcool though English was hell.  Since nothing was done on a computer I had to hand write everything which highlighted my awful spelling and sloppy writing.  Before I had computers to work with I literally failed English because my hand writing and spelling was so bad.  Even now I misspell stuff all the time and my classmates comment on how bad my handwriting is.  Thank goodness for computers is all I can say.

The absolute worst though was French.  First off I started French when I was in grade 5 and I moved school boards to a place were students started in grade 2 so I was automatically 3 years behind.  By that time I was not supposed to lose marks for spelling but for some reason the teachers were fine to take marks off for spelling mistakes in French.  French class was so confusing when I first started that I barely even did any work the first year because I had no idea what was going on.  The final year was not as bad though as I started to understand what was going on.  In highschool I was except from French altogether thankfully.

Math. This is actually a surprise, as later I started pursuing a bachelor's in computer science and it turned out I'm actually really good in maths.

This should show you two things; sometimes you won't know how good you really are in something until you change your perception a bit. And also, sometimes you just need to be taught differently.

Perhaps because of my college lecturer's passion and his excellent teaching style I ended up learning high mathematics with relative ease, something I couldn't fathom the basics of in highschool.

• Brohoof 1

Languages. I have an odd mental glitch. I can do vocabulary just fine for isolated words, but for some reason when I'm doing conversations in other languages my mind switches over to that language and I lose the ability to understand anything else. One time when I was young my family was driving through Quebec to get to Nova Scotia for some reason, and I had primed myself for Quebecois French. When someone asked me "Is that your dog?" in *English*, I couldn't understand what he was saying. It was just garbled nonsense to me.

And because it took time and effort to do the switch, and classes in school at that time were an hour to two hours long, doing any non-English languages at school meant all my other subjects went into the toilet because I couldn't understand the teachers unless they also were speaking in whatever language I was trying to learn at the time.

So I had to drop out of the language courses. Which according to my parents upset the language teachers as I was 'one of their best students'... yeah, because I couldn't do anything *else*. :/

I suppose now-a-days that would be diagnosed as some form of autism or dysphasia, but I predate those diagnostics. They didn't even have ADHD or their likes on the books back then. ;)

• Brohoof 1