Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if an earth pony wanted to join the Wonderbolts?

cider float

Yep "sorry kid you just don't have what it takes" sounds about right :P

Tanks don't join the blue angels now do they.

They just can't do what they are required so they dont make the cut :/

• Brohoof 3

It's impossible for an earth pony to fly but what if they wanted to become a Wonderbolt? How are they going to reject him? Tell him down by saying, "Sorry you're not a pegasus thus you can't join."

They would stare at him blankly for a few seconds and then say "You have no wings. WTF. Please leave".

Pretty much, yeah, they'd say "you're not a pegasus, you can't join". Its kind of the POINT of being a wonderbolt. Its like asking if an Earth pony or pegasi could enter celestia's school for gifted UNICORNS.

There's a Royal guard office sitting there nicely in canterlot for them to apply to if they just want to distinguish themselves in a military capacity serving their country, but if you just want to fly in a performance group, you NEED to be able to fly.

• Brohoof 2

Yep "sorry kid you just don't have what it takes" sounds about right :P

Tanks don't join the blue angels now do they.

They just can't do what they are required so they dont make the cut :/

No... but tanks are vehicles. The tank driver if he had the expertise could still become a pilot if he had the credentials. 

The Wonderbolts could always create a sub-division within the group dedicated to Earth ponies to fix that problem.

The thing is, there already kind of IS a Sub division for Earth ponies to do that: the royal guard.

There are two things the wonderbolts are about: Serving your country and Flying. If you want to serve your country and earn esteem there, there already IS a division for that, you can go be like shining armor. But if you specifically want to FLY, then you need to be able to fly.

Having a "Non-flying wonderbolt" division is redundant with the royal guard.

I suppose if they really wanted to do something like that they could always give the guards around Celestia a special designation like the "Elite royal guard" or something :P

I wouldn't be surprised if there are military exhibition groups for Earth Ponies and Unicorns. In the same way that the Blue Angels are actually Navy, Thunderbirds are Air Force, and the Golden Knights are Army, the other tribes would have their own recruitment/demo military organizations.

I would like to see that in the comics or show, to be honest. I'm curious to see what they come up with.

Thing is while there would be many positions an earth pony could fill, a lot of the grounds are cloud based, and hence it simply wouldn't work.  A unicorn with cloud walking and the ability to get there easily enough, would have an easier time in fulfilling an administrative, coaching, or support position.

Edited by silvadel

No... but tanks are vehicles. The tank driver if he had the expertise could still become a pilot if he had the credentials.

But a tank it's self can't fly. They made a tank with wings and it worked but it did not perform well because of it's weight. They aren't meant to fly just like an earth pony, magic and practice could fix that tho... Edited by Summer Breeze~

But a tank it selfie can't fly. They made a tank with wings and it worked but it did not perform well becaus eof it's weight. Ther aren't meant to fly just like an earth pony, magic and practice could fix that tho...

That's actually a valid argument. There are known magic artifacts in this world, like the Alicorn Amulet. It is not beyond imagining that an amulet or necklace could be enchanted by a powerful enough unicorn (ie Starlight Glimmer) to gift the wearer flight, perhaps even illusory wings. I know that the spell that gave Rarity wings was... less than perfect, but magic seems to be an evolving science in Equestria. In fact, it seems that magic is constantly going forward instead of being "weaker than it was in the past," a common trope in magical fantasy settings. 

• Brohoof 1

It seems quite race restricted, though it is physocally impossible for them to fly under normal circumstances. That is a bit bothersome in my opinion, but I don't think they would touch that issue.

Pegasi seem to be the most homogeneous, though definitely not xenophobic or discriminatory against other races majorly. Since they are able to live in areas earth ponies and even most unicorns could not live long term. I still think it would be nice if they found a way to at least allow other ponies to go places like that.

The wonderbolts are both trained in pegasi only accessable areas and require flying of course. I don't really know hownone could get past that. I wish it were possible though.

Edited by Namae

1) They don't have wings

and

2) They can't live in Cloudsdale.

Because Rainbow dash lives in cloudsdale. :toldya: I'm not sure why you think living in cloudsdale would be a requirement but I'm pretty sure it's not.  

That being said, it would probably be impossible unless sompony invented the jet. 

Or a unicorn magiced them a pair of fake wings.

Don't they have planes they can ride.

sig-4757928.jet_set_genderswap__radio_fu

Whoa!  :-o Does that mean the Grumpy Cat cutie mark is legit too?

I want Grumpy cat to exist in Equestria. 

Just like how Gabby despite really wanting a cutie mark, they would have to deal with the fact this is something they will never achieve.

Barring a transformation spell (such as the one from It Ain't Easy Being Breezies), of course.

At this point, I don't know why anyone would want to

Of course the show wants us to assume they're fine people so w/e

Equestria seems to be a fairly equal society, I'm sure that Earth ponies are entirely welcome to apply.  Of course when they fail to turn up at Wonderbolt Headquarters for the initial interview (or whatever) then their application will fail.  Even if they manage to get to Wonderbolt Headquarters, then they will promptly fail every practical exam, and thus wash out.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

The tank driver if he had the expertise could still become a pilot if he had the credentials. 

Yes, but that's hardly relevant. I mean, there's nothing that would prevent a tank driver from becoming a pilot ( at least in theory), but it's  literally impossible for an earth pony to fly without the use of either magic or technology, which means that it would be impossible for them to join the wonderbolts.  

• Brohoof 1

When would this happen? When would a pony who can't fly apply for the Wonderbolts, knowing they can't fly? Why would this happen? I don't see a good answer to any of these questions.

If an earth pony REALLY wanted to join the Wonderbolts, they'd need a damn good flying device, and even then I feel there's more likely to be separate organizations for pilots of flying machines.

I also think that an earth pony would probably construct the flying device *before* applying, which of course changes the scenario significantly from what you're thinking of.

Edited by AlexanderThrond