Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Chrysalis be reformed or not?

Props Valroa

No way, if she did, then it means that the show does not want to come up with new ideas and just want to be more predictable if they come up with that, that would draw fans away from the series if they keep reforming villains in the show.

• Brohoof 2

I say no. I couldn't see her as a good character. She also comes out in the comics so I kinda had enough of her. I say lock her up and throw away the key. Focus on Starlight and Trixie's character and the others and not bring in a new character and poorly develop her. Like honestly More good characters means more need for development and less time to do so resulting in poor development.

She should stay bad but once she is defeated never appear again just like, hopefully, Tirek and the Sirens. Besides their background stories of course in the comics.

• Brohoof 2

In an ideal world, all villains would be reformed. So, if it was a case where I wanted Equestria to be a better place, I'd say yes. However, her nature and view just doesn't work to be able to be reformed. If she was reformed, she probably would become that new form but now all the changelings are pretty much against her and Thorax is the new ruler. If she was reformed, there really wouldn't be anything for her to do.

• Brohoof 1

I actually think villain reformations are a good thing, and I believe Chrysalis's reformation would be good to see, but only if done gradually and skillfully. I'm glad she wasn't reformed at the end of To Where and Back Again, as I want it to be done intelligently and I don't think her reformation would have made too much sense then.

• Brohoof 1

If you asked a while back, you may have gotten a "No" or "Maybe" out of me, but...yeah, I'd prefer her to be reformed. She's a great character and I'd love to see more of her, and I think she has real potential as a reformed character too. That said, I think they should take their time with it, if she's back in season 7 then I think she shouldn't be reformed until the end, and should have build up to it. Hay, they can take 2 seasons for it if they want, she's still got some potential as a villain, no need to get rid of that just yet.

Villain reformations fit the tone and themes of the show best. Sure, not every villain "Needs" to be reformed, but I don't see the harm in continuing the trend. Most other shows that I know of tend to just kill off or trap their villains or just let them roam free forever, nobody seems to get tired of that, even when it's basically just repeats.

• Brohoof 1

I think that Chrysalis as a antagonistic character is better off as a villain to the show. Sure redemptions are good and teaches how friends can change whom you are but Chrysalis herself is far too wicked for any redeemable qualities. I think this is when there's a certain threshold among what "The Magic of Friendship" can really do and Chrysalis is beyond that threshold. Her heart is darken, her mind is set only to destroy and seeing that her very own kind was blinded by her evil ways only amounts to whom she really is.

Seriously with reformed characters there's not much to expect. It's just going to be another Sunset Shimmer or Luna gagging episode after episode of "Oh I feel so bad for what I did..."

With Chrysalis smacking Starlight's hoof away I'm really looking forward to what she will do later. But then again... sigh the writers suck so much now they can't do that right either the way they made Starlight Glimmer like that.

Honestly, it's a bit of a tricky question. Chrysalis, as a character, has mainly been an enigma until now, and there's been only a handful of insights into what drives her. From what I can tell from the last episode {and I may need to rewatch it}, her primary driver seems to be her hive - and the question is whether she considers her hive as a platform for power and authority, or if she sees the hive more literally as her children, and felt that their transformation against her command was a betrayal of her "mother knows best" worldview.

I suspect that, long before Chrysalis is slated for recurring villainy or redemption, we'll end up seeing a lot more of what makes her tick.

I sincerely hope not. We've had more than enough reformations and I'd like it if the show pointed out that not everyone can be reformed no matter how hard you try. It's just a fact of life, and even MLP doesn't have to shy away from something like that. They had no problem obliterating Sombra or sending Tirek back to Tartarus, so an explicit verdict of 'You can't be reformed, off to Tartarus with ye' would be very nice.

• Brohoof 2

No, she shouldn't.  @KatonRyu put it quite nicely.  In the real world, evil exists, and not everyone can be reformed, and it's more interesting and meaningful if the show reflects this.  As @Corvius pointed out, every villain would be reformed in an ideal world.  Well, actually, in a truly ideal world, there wouldn't be any villains to begin with, would there?  But a perfect world is completely pointless and uninteresting for any story.  Some villains need to stay bad in the show.  I think that Twilight should try to reform Chrysalis and fail, and then Zecora should give Twilight a rhyming version of this speech:

No no no FUCK no

No more redeeming villains. Not everyone can be redeemed and there are just evil people in the world

And before you say "FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC" there's a point where it becomes unbelievable and asinine and they just start pulling bullshit out their asses. Not everything is peace and love and kumbaya

Edited by Reinbow Dash

Why must all these villians be reformed?! I can understand what they did with Gilda, Trixie and Starlight Glimmer and because they were reformed they have had major character development. They were not really villians anyway.

The worst thing they did was reform Discord... He was among one of my favorite villains. His wit and cunning personality could not be touched! He made a mockery of all the characters not like other major villians have. I think the major villians of the show should stay as is. I mean I STILL like Discord. I think you understand where I am getting at.

OT No I don't think Chrysalis should be reformed. Look at how many villians in DBZ "whether you like it or not" almost none of the major villians became good. Only a few of them did. Like Vegeta throughout DBZ was borderline good and bad.

(edited)

Hmm... Alot have said no and some have said yes...

Possibly half reform? Like she won't be all lovy dovy but still have those 'bad' aspects but not be plain evil like she is now, refusing friend ship lessons, etc?

I could see her keeping most of her personality but seeing she can't take over Equestria or whatever, so she is not exactly reformed, but not a villain anymore.

Edited by StarlightTrixie
  • Brohoof 1

The furthest I would want Chrysalis to go into reformation territory would be a nonaggression pact with Equestria. This is unlikely, but that's the furthest I'd like to see her go. Now that she lacks a majority of her forces, and I seriously doubt she'd be able to take the Mane Seven, much less with the support of Discord (who I can almost guarantee would get involved because she messed with Fluttershy in the past), all by herself.

However, as a recurring villain... I'm not too sure about that either. At this point she'd be about as effective as Team Rocket from Pokemon or the Box Ghost from Danny Phantom.

I'd really rather not have Chrysalis turn into this:

tumblr_motuhdr5s11qhjv96o1_250.gif

• Brohoof 2

Chrysalis shouldn't be reformed. This adds a bit of variety and interesting things to the storyline. If Chrysalis isn't reformed and a band of non-reformed Changelings follow her, the next season would be a lot more interesting.