Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you working on getting off an addiction?

cider float

I got a cola/caffeine addiction right now. I've switched to fruit drinks to sort of curb it down. Going to try and keep this up. By making this thread I can officialize (not a word don't care) it to discipline me.

You can't get addicted to caffeine. It's a stimulant and it can create very mild dependence, but no caffeine addiction has ever been documented in humans. If you just feel like drinking several mugs a day, that's not addiction.

Chewing tobacco. Been going to sunflower seeds but it's hard when literally everyone at work is using chewing tobacoo while we're working and when your own supervisor offers it if you have none.

You can have a mental addiction to something.

I have an addiction to cigarettes I've been trying to kick. I'm not making any progress though.

But when people mean addiction, you have to compulsively seek and use a drug despite harmful consequences, enough that it gets in the way of your regular lifestyle. It needs to completely override your basic needs and it functions like a disease. If you just like to drink coffee or eat lots of chocolate, that's not addiction. That's also why the definition for shopping addiction and video game addiction are very debatable. If people just feel like shopping every day, that's not always indicative that they are addicted to it. Edited by Minccino

Well I only drink coke when I dine on fast food so I suppose that'll stay put not a big deal. I don't drink any coffee at all but found some good types of tea to drink. I think I'll put coffee on the backburner for an emergency or something.

But when people mean addiction, you have to compulsively seek and use a drug despite harmful consequences, enough that it gets in the way of your regular lifestyle. It needs to completely override your basic needs and it functions like a disease. If you just like to drink coffee or eat lots of chocolate, that's not addiction. That's also why the definition for shopping addiction and video game addiction are very debatable. If people just feel like shopping every day, that's not always indicative that they are addicted to it.

A mental addiction can be plenty harmful. I agree with your point about coffee and chocolate, but that's not what I'm referring to. A video game addiction is a bit more along the lines of what I'm talking about. Plenty of people are addicted to video games to the point of their real life taking a huge blow. There was a couple addicted to WoW who let their baby starve to death because they were too busy playing. I'd say that's a harmful mental addiction.

I dropped a bad pop habit the middle of this year. I'm so proud of myself! I went from drinking unspeakable amounts of pop a day to not drinking any at all within the range of half a month or so. I don't remember exactly.

Sparkling water did the trick for me. It has the carbonation of pop, but no sugar or anything (some types have sugar or sugar alternatives, but not the type I drink).

However, now I have a sugar cookie addiction... Oops. Although the amount of sugar I've had from those is probably a very small fraction of what I was having when I drank pop like I did.

I dropped a bad pop habit the middle of this year. I'm so proud of myself! I went from drinking unspeakable amounts of pop a day to not drinking any at all within the range of half a month or so. I don't remember exactly.

Sparkling water did the trick for me. It has the carbonation of pop, but no sugar or anything (some types have sugar or sugar alternatives, but not the type I drink).

However, now I have a sugar cookie addiction... Oops. Although the amount of sugar I've had from those is probably a very small fraction of what I was having when I drank pop like I did.

I stopped drinking soda (mostly) myself. Was gaining weight since I go out of control and usually drink too many when I do. For me, I could just drink normal water, and Gatorade. I just wanted some sort of drink with flavor. 

• 2 years later...

I'm trying to get off sugar and caffeine, they are very unhealthy. I'm having a hard time though, and progress is slow. But sugar and especially caffeine are a lot more addicting than people think. You can actually go through withdrawal when drinking a lot of caffeine for a long time and then suddenly stopping, as you get really tired and have severe headaches.

I am.

I was diagnosed with an addition to self harm (cutting) and have bee receiving therapy for years. I have also been on and off a medication that helps with reducing urges called Naltrexone.

Edited by The Wife of Law

I'm not (the only "addiction" I really have is to video games, and last I checked having a hobby wasn't an addiction, WHO :dry:), but I know people who are. I mean I do have a sweet tooth among other things, but nothing worth calling an "addiction."

I'm just going out of my own way to never get into that situation where I would need to. Don't drink, don't smoke, don't do any drugs (of any real kind, unless you count allergy pills and the occasional Ibuprofen). 

Edited by Ayyngel Dust

• 1 year later...

I’ve worked off my alcohol issue I’d been having here for the past few months. It was starting to turn into a bad habit and I had to put an end to it before it became a problem. Not touched one of my throw away vapes in awhile either(gonna end up getting rid of them.I just forget they’re there)I’ve been slowly cutting back on the energy drinks as well. One a day. Really only self harm is the only issue I still have going on.

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-06-06 at 9:15 PM, Blitzo said:

I’ve worked off my alcohol issue I’d been having here for the past few months. It was starting to turn into a bad habit and I had to put an end to it before it became a problem. Not touched one of my throw away vapes in awhile either(gonna end up getting rid of them.I just forget they’re there)I’ve been slowly cutting back on the energy drinks as well. One a day. Really only self harm is the only issue I still have going on.

The fact that you’re working to get off so many of those already is great progress :kindness:

3 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

The fact that you’re working to get off so many of those already is great progress :kindness:

Thank you. I realized with some of the newer bad habits I had started like the vaping and the drinking all stemmed from frustrations with my coworkers and job. I can’t let my job bring me down that way anymore. I’m trying to find better coping mechanisms for myself so I won’t feel the need to turn to those again.

• 1 year later...