Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP needs more thought-provoking episodes

trademark2

But we already have shows like Steven Universe doing that kind of thing, and in a lot of cases better than FIM.

well, isn't steven universe very popular, in spite of its awful art style? if mlp did it then it would be even better than steven universe

• Brohoof 1

I actually got into this show because well... it was funny without the need to use vulgar R rated things, that in my book is an admirable trait it was never a very serious show with deep meanings it just used humor very well in a clean and lighthearted manner while still tying that down with the main story of the show, pretty good writing. But that seems to wear out and disappear over time as the seasons go by probably because the writers were beginning to suck or they started switching to bad writers while the good writers went off to other things.

Edited by cider float

If this is true, then they should move to online streaming or something. But is there a source for this? 

I think at some panel at a convention, Meghan or Jayson basically explained that the key arc had to be done so that the 5 key episodes between premiere and finale could be played in any order.

The title was changed by a mod, but this thread is supposed to be about my thoughts of what MLP could do better after watching a few episodes of steven universe. edit: In retrospect I think it was a good idea by the mod to change the title

I think MLP needs more thoughtprovoking episodes. With steven universe, the art style is really bad aestetically, but the episodes... You don't know what will happen, and some of the stuff is really funny. I think MLP needs more unpredictability and more humor in the show. More things that make you actually think about stuff. It has music, and cuteness, but thats not enough. I really think season 7 will be the best season yet and address this though. MLP should get some 8 bit tunes as well!

Edit: OK some people have very strong feelings about this. Please note that I dont advocate major violence, real world events, or adult themes. When you read the thread there are some implying that this thread is advocating for these things to be added to the show, and that is not true.

It depends on what you mean by thought provoking. Do you mean complex societal, political, or philosophical themes? Or do you mean adding in a more diverse range of stories to tell. I think mlp already has the latter covered. Episodes range from action/adventure to comedy and slice of life. And mlp is very good at balancing these types of stories. For the former I think mlp already does a little of that. Each episode will have some comment to say about friends or family. While trite I do think these lessons are important. Not even just for kids. Because sometimes these are things that even adults forget. Also I though the season 5 premier was pretty thought provoking. If only because the subject matter wasn't normally something you'd find in a show like mlp. I mean mlp is Legend Of Korra. Kora got away with murder, suicide, and political revolution and anrchy because it's a different how. It's made for an older audience and with different theme s and a much darker tone. My point is that mlp isn't supposed to be dark. It's supposed be light hearted and fun.

Well, as something of an example, in one episode of steven universe, they have to travel to an aquatic world and place a statue to save the area from being destroyed. They face a lot of danger(for a cartoon) in getting there, only to find that stephen left the statue behind on his bed. It was very funny. But, MLP would have a harder time doing something like this. A lot of things get added flavor if there is some danger involved, and this is one example of that. So, I think with some legitimate danger(which is what is represented by turok), the episodes can portray things better. Actually it had started to do this slightly in one season, i remember applebloom trying to get a cart through a haunted wood and being attacked by a chimera. But I think they may be hesitant to do this.

Stephen and mlp are both kids shows, and kids deserve quality entertainment. Some say mlp is aimed at a younger audience, and its true that kids are a large demographic for the show, but that doesn't mean every single solitary thing has to be aimed at the intellectual level of a Y-7 year old. Like the post above me said, the communist village episode was very interesting; they can do more of that, and they can put some danger into some episodes to spice things up. 

The whole world opens up and becomes more realistic if you allow danger to be portrayed. Of course you can do the YA plot thing where everyone is always safe in the end, its the portrayal itself that opens the door

Keep in mind that Legend Of Korra and Star Wars The Clone Wars where both kids shows. But those shows could get very dark sometimes.
  • Brohoof 1