Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you plan on getting married?

Member Berry

People keep asking me if me and my boyfriend are getting married soon. We've been together four years and people keep saying we should get engaged.

I seriously don't see the point. We're both Atheists so it's not like we'd be doing it for God or anything. Obviously, we could just have a non-religious wedding but I still don't see the point. I don't see why we should spend a crap load of money for a piece of paper and a party :/ 

Am I just being really miserable? LOL.

• Brohoof 9

People keep asking me if me and my boyfriend are getting married soon. We've been together four years and people keep saying we should get engaged.

I seriously don't see the point. We're both Atheists so it's not like we'd be doing it for God or anything. Obviously, we could just have a non-religious wedding but I still don't see the point. I don't see why we should spend a crap load of money for a piece of paper and a party :/ 

Am I just being really miserable? LOL.

As far as I know, you should get married by now for some tax reductions or something :huh:.... I don't know exactly the benefits, but I've "herd" you get benefits by law for it  :-P . If you decide to marry for it, you don't need to make that big ceremony, I think you can go to whatever place can legalize your marriage or stuff :huh:

Sorry for my half-assed explanation, as I don't plan to get married  :adorkable:

As far as I know, you should get married by now for some tax reductions or something :huh:.... I don't know exactly the benefits, but I've "herd" you get benefits by law for it  :-P . If you decide to marry for it, you don't need to make that big ceremony, I think you can go to whatever place can legalize your marriage or stuff :huh:

Sorry for my half-assed explanation, as I don't plan to get married  :adorkable:

The biggest advantages in Britain of getting married is passing on your assets after you die without incurring inheritance tax. I'm 24 and my boyfriend is 25 so it's not a big concern right now for obvious reasons :P 

My grandmother did marry my step-grandfather a few months before he died for that reason (we all knew he was dying) 

I guess we could get married when we're old for this reason.

Ask me this a few years ago, and I would be saying hell to the no. Now though? It is something I hope I can do. Getting married to my boyfriend is something I absolutely want to do eventually. I know a lot of people see marriage as pointless and something very artificial but I have always seen something special to it.

• Brohoof 4

Been married for almost 15 years now. There's all sorts of advantages to it on a legal level. One, there's no arguments about visiting rights in hospitals and the like. My employment health insurance covers her when she's not working, and hers will cover me when I'm not working. There's tax stuff, though that's less impactful now as it used to be. My Canadian citizenship would help her if we emigrated to Canada, in the same way her American citizenship sped up my American citizenship application when I got tired of the green card process. So on and so forth.

• Brohoof 10

I think in modern society marriage is an anachronism. It’s even a bit creepy if you think about it. As some guy on Facebook said: “I love you so much. Let’s get the government involved, so it will be harder for us to break up."

Of course, if there are considerable legal benefits that come with marriage in your country, you should consider it. 

As for me, I'll most certainly won't get married or even involved in relationships, but that's just my individual case.

The biggest advantages in Britain of getting married is passing on your assets after you die without incurring inheritance tax. I'm 24 and my boyfriend is 25 so it's not a big concern right now for obvious reasons :P

My grandmother did marry my step-grandfather a few months before he died for that reason (we all knew he was dying) 

I guess we could get married when we're old for this reason.

Oh, OK. I'm not sure the benefits of marriage in Britain, but sure; marriage is not mandatory in my opinion, bond is

@@Member Berry,

Marriage doesn't have to be expensive. That's called a wedding. Marriage is just a legally binding contract. You two get married and you get to reap the benefits, like tax deduction and hospital visitation rights. Those are the only reasons I'd do it. If I had anybody. Which I don't plan on having. If anything I'd like to distance myself from people in general. Live totally alone for a while. See what it's like to actually miss human contact for once. 

• Brohoof 5

Nope, I don't even plan on ever dating, don't see the point in it.

You have the exact same mindset that I do regarding this subject.

• Brohoof 3

If I ever found somebody who I could maintain a long term relationship with I would like to get married and start a family.  But as of yet I have never maintained a relationship anywhere close to that long.

Edited by Twilight Dirac

hopefully, i know its a bit too young for my tho think about marrige, but not dating ... I hate being single, but its all I can do and afford (being that im already struggling finachally) but if I get the job i want, and meet the girl of my dreams then maybe I would love to settle down and have a family of my own

As far as I know, you should get married by now for some tax reductions or something

Depends on the situation. If you have dependents and are within the range to get the EITC then it absolutely benefits you to be married. Otherwise, it is usually a penalty, especially if one of you owes child support or student loans.

Been married 18 years. The wedding planning and reception afterward was ridiculous and neither of us wanted to have it. We almost just went to the County Clerk of Courts to get that taken care of. Years later we had a ceremony we both would have preferred. So I agree am with those that thing that a ceremony is unnecessary. Even if you are religious and wanted a ceremony like a church wedding, you could still do that with relatively minimal cost. It is all the other 'add-ons' that kill you. I would have rather had that money in our account than spending it on a moment. There are legal benefits that automatically come with a marriage license. Some of these can be replicated in another relationship, but depending on your situation it gets convoluted.  One thing that may be different is in explaining to people that you are not married and why, since I guess it still makes people raise their eyebrows. If you have kids, sometimes the explanation will be asked for.   

Beyond the pomp and legalities, being married is really no different from any other long term relationship in which you commit. 

• Brohoof 2

You have the exact same mindset that I do regarding this subject.

same here, I am staying out of the whole game, it is just to big of a headache to mess with and to much drama and money i am expected to spend.

Edited by simba86

I too much like to be alone to want to get married. As weeaboo as this sounds, I like fictional characters more as a romantic partner, which will obviously not work out very well.

Edited by gamecubeguy214
  • Brohoof 1

Marriage is just about the furthest thing from my mind right now. I'm more interested in completing graduate studies and getting my career going at this point. I'm not saying I'll never be interested in marriage, but it's definitely not something that will be happening in the near future. :P 

• Brohoof 4