Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you plan on getting married?

Member Berry

Depends on the situation. If you have dependents and are within the range to get the EITC then it absolutely benefits you to be married. Otherwise, it is usually a penalty, especially if one of you owes child support or student loans.

Been married 18 years. The wedding planning and reception afterward was ridiculous and neither of us wanted to have it. We almost just went to the County Clerk of Courts to get that taken care of. Years later we had a ceremony we both would have preferred. So I agree am with those that thing that a ceremony is unnecessary. Even if you are religious and wanted a ceremony like a church wedding, you could still do that with relatively minimal cost. It is all the other 'add-ons' that kill you. I would have rather had that money in our account than spending it on a moment. There are legal benefits that automatically come with a marriage license. Some of these can be replicated in another relationship, but depending on your situation it gets convoluted.  One thing that may be different is in explaining to people that you are not married and why, since I guess it still makes people raise their eyebrows. If you have kids, sometimes the explanation will be asked for.   

Beyond the pomp and legalities, being married is really no different from any other long term relationship in which you commit. 

I've always thought a long-term relationship is the same thing as being married. In the end it's basically the same I guess 

Oh I've had countless fantasies of myself walking down that aisle in a pure white Wedding Dress and saying those two words! :wub: 

But its not for everyone I'm sure. Plus sometimes its not a good idea on a financial level since once your "Married" you have to file your taxes jointly which can royally botch things up. :blush:  

It's hard to say one plans on being married unless the outlook already shows the signs of imminent possibility. Otherwise, it would be hard to assume one would ever come across the right person, let alone get acquainted and fall in love. Nowadays there are so many obstacles that people put up around themselves that the prospects aren't always so rosy. 

But, assuming I had the option, I would definitely get married. It's an important step to human development and a fulfilling one when handled correctly. I can't imagine going through my whole life without a husband and family of my own. It would be far too lonely and unfulfilling for me.  :rarity:  Love is the glue that holds everything together.

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

Not anywhere on my radar right now. At the very least I'd like to get through school and find a job. I'm still pondering grad school directly from undergrad or waiting a few years/working with a company that will more or less pay me to go to grad school. 

• Brohoof 1

To me marriage is only if I find the absolute Mr. Right. I have learned over the past 7 years or so of my life that naivety and distress over love interests is not a good thing for you. I have been in about 4 different relationships in that time, and all of them failed. First failed because it was a MtF transgender that had a blood fetish.... No r63 Dracula for me! Second failed because of insecurities, on his part. To tell the truth, I had them as well. Third failed because of distance (this one lived all the way across the Atlantic from me! A little too long distance...). Fourth failed because I realized he wasn't right for me to date a man that has the sex drive of an r63 version of Ms. Krabappel, and what I felt to be an obsession with my body rather than the real me(LOTS DIFFERENT, TRUST ME). I had to unofficially marry the guy before I realized it wouldn't work. (Those who know me know his name, he treads these forums no more, though he used to).

So yeah, I'm only going to marry Mr. Right. The patience I have is only achievable due to my preference of isolation overcoming a need for a loving man to lean my head on and share my emotions with (I know it sounds like a oxymoron, but that's me for you! Some of my traits do contradict others I have!).

Edited by TwillyFSniper
  • Brohoof 1

It depends on how you see things. I don't know how it works in your place, but in certain countries being married has government perks subsided for newly Wed couples offered by traditionalist offices, so in certain scenarios it might be a good choice.

I'm an atheist too, and me and my girlfriend are engaged and we're having a religious ceremony because we like traditional ceremonies. That's about the gist of it.

Just because it's religious doesn't mean it has to hold a highly religious viewpoint for you.

Finally, getting married isn't something you should do nowadays unless you really want to. It's not a must anymore (though some people might insist otherwise) and In fact, there's a drop in marriages these past years, I think it's going to vanish eventually should this trend continues.

haha we discussed it again last night. he told me a friend of his got married in secret because they didnt want to make a big fuss out of it and just told everyone the next day.

... i wonder if he was hinting something there lol.

Also of all the TV show boxset episodes we have, mainly the simpsons, he's been subconsciously picking out all the marriage related episodes to watch. XP whats happening here? 

• 2 weeks later...

nah I'm not ready and too young, probably not going to for at least a couple decades, and it really depends on if I find that certain special someone, somePONY lol.

id love to get married some day but i need a girlfriend first X'D
it does seem rather pointless i will agree but for whatever reason i think it'd be worth it ^^

Oh yeah, would definitely get married. I'm all for committing to a lifelong partnership with someone. Did it once, made mistakes, lost my partner to another, and they weren't interested in reconciliation. Stayed faithful to the vows for a while, until the divorce came to pass. I only hope I can give it another shot again one day.

@@Member Berry,

Marriage doesn't have to be expensive. That's called a wedding. Marriage is just a legally binding contract. You two get married and you get to reap the benefits, like tax deduction and hospital visitation rights. Those are the only reasons I'd do it. If I had anybody. Which I don't plan on having. If anything I'd like to distance myself from people in general. Live totally alone for a while. See what it's like to actually miss human contact for once.

Hope that dose not mean stop talking to me D.

• Brohoof 1