Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you plan on getting married?

Member Berry

I'm more interested in completing graduate studies

i cannot be more supportive of this attitude 

ive seen way too many people fail their studies and degrees because of relationships and getting distracted

any way as for me i would like to get married at some point but these days im kind of disinterested in dating so i have no idea how that's going to happen i used to think about kids too but what my friends getting married and having kids taught me is that.... kids ruin your life! after they're born that's it no more going out when you want no more traveling fuck that    

I don't. 

If I met somebody who I thought was amazing and they wanted to get married, I'd reconsider. But I don't think marriage is necessary, it's just a legal hassle and makes it harder for two people who have drifted further apart from each other to be able to go their separate ways, should they want to.

That's a horribly depressing answer, sorry.

• Brohoof 1

I would like to get married. Right now, however, I am not in a relationship with anyone. I feel that completing school and settling down with good work is more important at this point in time. I am not very interested in dating right now. If I do end up getting married, I don't want to birth my own children. I would like to adopt a child.

• Brohoof 2

Marriage is not a Christian concept. It literally has nothing to do with Christianity outside of the fact that the wedding ceremonies are associated with churches. Marriage predates Christianity... And marriage - at least in the USA - has legal benefits. I'm not aware of all of them, but I do know that one of them is being able to be with your lover when they're on their death bed (or vice versa). That sounds pretty important to me.

Do *I* plan on getting married? LOL. I once dreamt of that. But it's best I remain single.

Do I plan on getting married in the future? Of course! Right now though, I am enjoying the single life. I am focusing on my career and graduate studies 1st however. Once I have a hold of those, and find the right person to spend the rest of my life with, then we can discuss the topic of marriage.  

With regards to marriage, whatever happens, happens. I'm coming to the end of my college days meaning that this can finally become a real possibility. To be honest though, I think I'll be staying single; from what I've seen, it's much better to remain solo than getting stuck in a toxic relationship. But if I were to get married, it would be much more of a shoeless ceremony held in our field, kind of like Spectre in the Big Fish, rather than a formal church wedding. Having it at a church makes no difference to me and it's a lot cheaper not to. That money could instead go towards a house mortgage.

Edited by Celtore

same here, I am staying out of the whole game, it is just to big of a headache to mess with and to much drama and money i am expected to spend.

I've got my brother and sister to thank for showing me the more problematic aspects of falling in love and getting married.

bunch of miserable butts. 

I cant wait to get married some day. Im 25 and often I feel like I should have started that settled down life by now. I was in a relationship for 7 years and it came close to him hinting he was buying a ring but it never happened then we just drifted away from eachother due to the thrill of that relationship just dying. My second relationship had more planning to get settled down motives, but just got stuck treading on eachothers toes and depression over the winter just made it unbarable in the end. I think it was to make me stay, but one of the things he told me was that he had been shopping around for a ring. So I guess I came close then.

Denz and I actually spoke about this the other night, he's not fussed over weddings, I think he's happy just to go to the registry office and declare marriage there, no song or dance about it. Me though,  ended up going to 3 weddings last year, two as bridesmaids and one as the best man's +1, so kinda get very hyped when I think about wedding plans at all. I promised Denz if it ever happens itll be small, but big enough for a decent reception party.   

It bugs me a lot that my younger sister got married before me, but now I know that my wedding will be nothing like hers. For starters, I want it to be somewhat affordable in the long run. Not hire a castle x.x 

This is what I want; 
Originally I wanted to be married in the same church my parents were, but Im agnostic and dont attend the parish so, thats out. The rule is that you need to be in the parish for at least 2 months before the church can agree to hold the wedding service. So my back up plan is my old school. Its Hogwarts pretty much XD it has its own chapel and some really good sized dining halls and function buildings. Plus im rather roots proud, so it would mean a lot to me to have it there (the school host weddings regularly anyway).

I want to arrive to the Chapel in my Dad's Classic Car, Triumph TR6 (love that car), though I'd have to get driven in a covered car to the school gates, then drive round with my Dad to the Chapel door. My sister very nearly took this idea from me, but he husband insisted on taking the modern car his dad has. 

I also want to theme it subtly to MLP. like custom tasteful pones on the cake, table names are ponies not numbers, theres the pony on the table centre pieces and lots of horse shoes just silly little things like that, as well as music themed stuff as we're both musicians.  For the reception I have a great DJ friend who specializes in cheese and rock music and is fine to throw in some MLP mixes too. I plan to have Love is in Bloom played at some point. 

So yeaaah I have the whole wedding thing planned out, just need to get to that stage. ^^; 

One pointer though because Ive seen it with friends and my own sister >.> You should really live together first before taking this step. It makes such a difference. You dont know what your future wife/husband is going to truley be like until you see them at home.

Edited by StormBlaze
  • Brohoof 2

Why are people miserable butts for not wanting to go through with an outdated and expensive tradition? In my view all the reception , cakes, dresses and the rest of it is superficial. I'm not trying to make an argument I just find it ironic when people who don't want to get married are called miserable :P

I could be a right Pinkie Pie here, but I know the whole planning of it is a bloody pain and stressful, but when the day comes round its one BIG party! Never been to a bad wedding! And I like parties, I like going and I like hosting, so yeah Im being Pinkie here, just dont understand why people would skimp out on a party for them! 

I don't have that kind of plan for the future, but if you asked me now I'd say that I'll probably end up not marrying anyone since I don't even want to be in a relationship. I haven't totally rejected the idea though, I just don't see it happening. 

• Brohoof 1

Considering my terrible luck in even getting a girlfriend (and managing to have a serious, meaningful relationship), no. I do not plan on getting married. I fail to even really see much point in getting a girlfriend in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

Marriage is a symbol of your chose - you do it if you are ready to bound yourself with someone officially.

I don't mind to marry one day when I'll decide to share everything with someone who I love.

By the way I don't see any sense in marriage without true love.  :love:

• Brohoof 1

Hmm I dunno, maybe someday; I'm too young for anything of that sort now. :P Still, I can understand why people think marriage is pointless. It does have its legal benefits, but I think it's mostly done these days because it's a religious thing.

If you do get married, make sure you're making the right choice :wacko:. I think it's a good idea to live with someone before you get married, too.

I'd like to live in Europe; if I could get married to a European then that's a way I could get permanent residency there

Hey guys, I would like to remind you all to keep things on topic and not to attack others due to their beliefs when it comes to this topic. Feel free to debate but keep things civil, do not insult each other. Try your best to get along. and If you can't, then just don't reply and move on.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 4

At this point; no. That's mainly due to the fact that I am single and really haven't found "the one" whom I would want to spend my life, though I have had crushes and still do, so I wouldn't say no at this point. Still there's no point in rushing things, but if I am to remain single, then it is what it is.

As for weddings...I really hope to avoid that. I've been involved in two separate ceremonies and the money & stress involved was not worth the end product. I would just hope to get it done in court so that the fuss can be avoided, and the money can be used for a home, apartment, or even a car. Long-term planning FTW.

I assume most people who've said no haven't had much in the way of a loving relationship in their lives

Or plenty of people find that marriage is a system that encourages growing hate and distrust. Not everyone has the same experience; of course.

• Brohoof 3

Maybe one day, but not until I'm sure. Meaning I would have to date for a while, and then live with that person for over a year before tying the knot so I can be sure that I can stand being around them. I don't want to be one of those people who rush into a marriage only to have it fall apart. Plus I'm too shy to feel such strong feelings of affection for someone in such a short time. 

So yes, I do plan to get married one day.

Edited by Lucky Star
  • Brohoof 1

Someday but not now.

Hopefully whoever future me decides to marry is an interesting and kind person.

Right now though, Present me needs to focus and get my law degree.

• Brohoof 1

Why are people miserable butts for not wanting to go through with an outdated and expensive tradition? In my view all the reception , cakes, dresses and the rest of it is superficial. I'm not trying to make an argument I just find it ironic when people who don't want to get married are called miserable :P

That's a wedding, not a marriage, and even then weddings don't even cost that much, it's all the unnecessary extras that make it so expensive. You can celebrate your marriage with a dinner's night out and a professional photographer, or even a bottle of beer at home with family. Marriages are just there nowadays to provide legal benefits (things like veteran care, Medicaid, or special tax exemption). It sounds a bit morbid but a marriage can help you sue and request protection after your spouse dies.