Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can't wrap my head around seapony popularity

ManaMinori

I just can't make sense of why the seaponies are so popular and beloved amongst even fans of g4. They only really have a significant role, a very brief one at that, in g1's premier with saving Megan and her pony friend from drowning. Whereas the Flutterponies have 2 movies and an episode that they're in, the songs they sing are unique each time they appear (unlike the seaponies, who shop-be-doo every time they're on-screen), and they have had a hoof in defeating some threatening villains- The witches, the Smooze, Zeb and Omnibus, and Bumble and her swarm.

So why are seaponies more beloved than Flutterponies?

I'm not quite certain either. I've only read one decent fan fiction about them. It's called the one that got away.

It's got this whimsical vibe and this really nice writing style that reminds me of a children's tale from the victorian era.

What I suppose that's aside from the point.

Maybe people feel like ponies should have a mermaid version? It would certainly add to the world building to have a whole other nations or nations under water. And the relationships between water and land could make for the really interesting story.

But since I haven't really run into that many decent fan fiction for it... It might just be fan art fodder.  

Because SHOO BE DOO.

Also, maybe it's just because of some fascination with underwater creatures and settings? I know I always love underwater settings in media, there's something just mysterious and beautiful about the ocean, and the idea of an entire civilization living down there is interesting. The thought of a G4 FIM episode where say, the Mane Six get to go underwater and explore a city down below and make Seapony friends sounds like a lot of fun.

• Brohoof 3

I've got a feeling that the Dazzlings may have something to do with it. Their true forms are that of hippocampi which bear a resemblance to the seaponies that have been synonymous with MLP since generation one, and the Dazzlings have proven themselves to be incredibly popular.

• Brohoof 1

Because some species are more popular then others. Besides it's not as if flutter ponies are unpopular.

Sea ponies help out too. Just because they're more limited to their environment doesn't mean that they don't do anything. They helped out in Rescue at Midnight Castle, they stopped Reeka and Draggle from casting a spell and they helped lead Megan, Galaxy and the crew to King Charlatan.

Why aren't wingers more popular then flutters? Their wings are sturdier and prettier.

Why are unicorns and pegasus more popular then earth ponies, despite being outnumbered?

I'm not quite certain either. I've only read one decent fan fiction about them. It's called the one that got away.

It's got this whimsical vibe and this really nice writing style that reminds me of a children's tale from the victorian era.

What I suppose that's aside from the point.

Maybe people feel like ponies should have a mermaid version? It would certainly add to the world building to have a whole other nations or nations under water. And the relationships between water and land could make for the really interesting story.

But since I haven't really run into that many decent fan fiction for it... It might just be fan art fodder.

I love The One That Got Away, it is such a peaceful, beautiful story. Edited by Leave a Whisper