Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The series relies too heavily on the tie to Equestria.

Slashy

I don't necessarily mean that the series needs to have boring high school drama as a focus nor do I mean that the tie to Equestria should be gone completely due to how important of a role magic plays in this series, but I do think the series should start introducing conflicts and villains from its own world. We know so little about the EQG world that we don't know much about it besides the fact that it resembles ours and doesn't have magic (or at least not Equestrian magic), so there is so much potential to explore what that world has to offer.

Robots, mutants, crazy lab experiments, aliens, and Pokémon-esque monsters could exist in their world. Relying on the tie to Equestria to provide any interesting conflict only serves to make the EQG world look so dull and prevents it from having more of its own identity.

• Brohoof 3

I don't necessarily mean that the series needs to have boring high school drama as a focus nor do I mean that the tie to Equestria should be gone completely due to how important of a role magic plays in this series, but I do think the series should start introducing conflicts and villains from its own world. We know so little about the EQG world that we don't know much about it besides the fact that it resembles ours and doesn't have magic (or at least not Equestrian magic), so there is so much potential to explore what that world has to offer.

Equestria Girls would never have got off the ground without having the brand recognition of MLP attached to it, and probably still relies on that little MLP label to get people watching.  Although I have no figures to support this I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of people watching EQG are existing (and perhaps former) MLP fans.

If you look at the trend though, they do seem to be trying to put more distance between the two.  (pony) Twilight was the main character in the first film, a more supporting role in the second, little more than a cameo in the third, and completely absent from the fourth.  Of course the upcoming specials and the next film (if there is one, or series maybe?) will show if this trend is going to continue, or if they going to bring the two closer together again.  The sequel hook at the end of LoE left it open to go either way.

• Brohoof 5

I love how people are seeing Twilight solely as the link between Equestrian involvement. Guys, there's Equestrian still heavily tied to the human world. The sirens, for one. The continual leak of Equestrian magic through the portal, Sunset Shimmer, the magical geodes that wouldn't be there, or magical, without Equestrian magic....so yeah, the spin-off still is heavily linked to FiM, even 4 movies in

• Brohoof 1

I love how people are seeing Twilight solely as the link between Equestrian involvement. Guys, there's Equestrian still heavily tied to the human world. The sirens, for one. The continual leak of Equestrian magic through the portal, Sunset Shimmer, the magical geodes that wouldn't be there, or magical, without Equestrian magic....so yeah, the spin-off still is heavily linked to FiM, even 4 movies in

I was going to point out that Sunset Shimmer was the ultimate link to Equestra, but you beat me to it. Can't say I don't agree, though.

Those two will always be linked together. The characters are the same, cutie marks and all, except in human form. But, it would be nice to see new ideas four movies in that is more grounded in the specific human world. Maybe no Equestrian intervention at all? I mean, except for Sunset and she is essentially fully grounded in that world anyway. I think they rejected the idea of highlighting Sunset's Equestrian origins.

I agree to an extent. The tie to Equestria should always be present, it was the series' beginning, but I think they need to start focusing more on the Human world itself and what makes it different from Equestria. I for one really hope they reveal that type Human world DOES have it's own magic, it's just different, and therein lies the draw, it's NOT like Equestria, and that will be interesting to explore. The Everfree forest alone could holds all manner of secrets.

I agree to an extent. The tie to Equestria should always be present, it was the series' beginning, but I think they need to start focusing more on the Human world itself and what makes it different from Equestria. I for one really hope they reveal that type Human world DOES have it's own magic, it's just different, and therein lies the draw, it's NOT like Equestria, and that will be interesting to explore. The Everfree forest alone could holds all manner of secrets.

But the biggest way they can differ the two series is make it more Sci-Fi based rather than constantly relying on magic, I mean technology basically is our equivalent to magic so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

But the biggest way they can differ the two series is make it more Sci-Fi based rather than constantly relying on magic, I mean technology basically is our equivalent to magic so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

But magic was the original, primary premise. Sci-Fi is something I'd like to see, but it shouldn't become the primary focus. It'd be like if MLP become about Dragons.

Because it's based on My Little Pony, and the land of Equestria. So it's doing that right. I'd say it's dependent too much on these competitions to make some kind of movie. We had Fall Formal Princess (similar to Homecoming Queen), music competition and then school olympics. 

To keep uping the ante with the conflicts in each movie, they have to have Equestrian magic involved. Otherwise, what will they be dealing with? Pure high school drama?

I guess to distance Equestria Girls further, the next movie can have Filthy Rich build an army of death bots to attack Canterlot High since they made him into a villain for some reason.

To keep uping the ante with the conflicts in each movie, they have to have Equestrian magic involved. Otherwise, what will they be dealing with? Pure high school drama?

Robots, mutants, crazy lab experiments, aliens, and Pokémon-esque monsters could exist in their world.

I guess you got that already because you were talking about Filthy Rich building death bots.

I guess you got that already because you were talking about Filthy Rich building death bots.

They already made Filthy Rich into more of an asshole than he ever was in My Little Pony. In fact, he's a pretty nice guy when he's a pony. For some reason he's a complete knob in Equestria Girls. Maybe in their universe, Spoiled Rich is the nice one.

Either way, I could see him building an army of murderbots to hunt down the Mane Six. Maybe turn Canterlot High into a sweatshop.

I'm not sure that the human world should have its own fantastical aspects; it's ostensibly meant to resemble ours at least to an extent, and thus far all worldbuilding has established that all magic which appeared in the human world is an aberration brought over from Equestria. With that said, I'd honestly prefer if the series put more focus on its own characters and their own lives, as I really want to know how the mane six's interests in Equestria translate to a non-magical world, and especially how Sunset's adjusting to life away from the reality she grew up in. Still, I wish the series would do a little bit more with Sunset's own connection to Equestria - is she going to make up with Celestia? Does she miss having magic? Stuff like that. Either way, Legend of Everfree's direction of "superheroes fighting alien monsters" has very little appeal to me, and seems like one of the least interesting directions this series could be taken in. 

I'm not sure that the human world should have its own fantastical aspects; it's ostensibly meant to resemble ours at least to an extent, and thus far all worldbuilding has established that all magic which appeared in the human world is an aberration brought over from Equestria. With that said, I'd honestly prefer if the series put more focus on its own characters and their own lives, as I really want to know how the mane six's interests in Equestria translate to a non-magical world, and especially how Sunset's adjusting to life away from the reality she grew up in. Still, I wish the series would do a little bit more with Sunset's own connection to Equestria - is she going to make up with Celestia? Does she miss having magic? Stuff like that. Either way, Legend of Everfree's direction of "superheroes fighting alien monsters" has very little appeal to me, and seems like one of the least interesting directions this series could be taken in.

Robots and advanced AI systems wouldn't be fantastical.

If EQG want to be it own thing, remove "my little pony" from the title and keep Equestria Girls, remove "Lauren Faust" from the credits and just keep "Megahn McCarthy", then we can talk about how to not rely to Equestria. Heh, even pony Twilight is absense completely, what a shame. if you want to stop the connection between human world and Equestria that bad, do what i said above first. "My little pony: Equestria Girls" without even one pony in it? No thanks.

Edited by Lambdadelta

It's pretty sci-fi, and I think that moves away from the "normal" world the EqG movies seem to be going for.

I guess for them, since the EQG world seems to only use technology as a minor characteristic of its setting. It kind of shows that EQG tries too hard to be normal and winds up being a less interesting version of our world.

Oh and in case you think somehow robots would suddenly make their world not resemble ours, please understand that this exists.

But you are right, if the series is moving away from exploring how the mane cast would live in a normal world to another superhero esque series.

Edited by Slashy

I guess for them, since the EQG world seems to only use technology as a minor characteristic of its setting. It kind of shows that EQG tries too hard to be normal and winds up being a less interesting version of our world.

Oh and in case you think somehow robots would suddenly make their world not resemble ours, please understand that this exists.

We see smartphones and such in the films, so as long as it keeps the "mundane" character of the world, I see no issue.

We see smartphones and such in the films, so as long as it keeps the "mundane" character of the world, I see no issue.

Don't you see the world purposefully trying to be mundane as kind of a problem?

Don't you see the world purposefully trying to be mundane as kind of a problem?

I understand why you might see it that way, but I'm honestly pretty fine with it. Putting these characters in a "familiar" environment struck me as part of the series' point from the very start, and I do see some continued potential with that. I've also come to kinda like the whole idea that alien magic has invaded a world which didn't have any magic previously. Of course, that latter point is only really interesting if the series makes a point of the magic either not belonging in the human world or otherwise having a significant impact on it, so perhaps having more exciting things in this world would be preferable if it doesn't go that route. I suppose I'm just concerned that introducing those elements would further distract the series from the elements which I'm personally interested in, but Legend of Everfree already pushed it in that direction, so whatever works, I guess. 

• 4 weeks later...

If Equestria Girls had began as a completely separate entity, than no one would have watched it, they couldn't have the interesting magical conflicts that they've had and, if you've noticed, as each new installment is released, the ties it has from the main series are becoming less major.

In short, they need to keep the series feeling familiar to keep fans of the main series engaged, while introducing enough new content to stand on it's own 2 legs.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

If Equestria Girls had began as a completely separate entity, than no one would have watched it, they couldn't have the interesting magical conflicts that they've had and, if you've noticed, as each new installment is released, the ties it has from the main series are becoming less major.

In short, they need to keep the series feeling familiar to keep fans of the main series engaged, while introducing enough new content to stand on it's own 2 legs.

They can do this by making the exploring the human world and making it interesting in its own way outside of the fantastical elements.