Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of people who are jobless?

ChikaChan

I can't look down on those without a paying job. People do their best these days to find work for the most part. Many have legitimate problems which makes life harder and no matter how hard people work, there are only so many jobs to compete for with our own personal song and dance (e.g., resumes, interviews). Too many people who are too overqualified trying to compete for a dwindling pool of jobs dictated by those who decide things based off of unscientific opinions and prejudices against including but not limited to (pregnant women, single mothers, drug users, minor law breakers, and of course racial but that's not out in the open). They use silly questionnaires which amount to nothing more than tea leaves and the system demands "connections" more than experience. Even the president of the US can be elected without a shred of experience yet the overqualified can't find a job.

In the end, the problem is that jobs are leaving. Robots are taking over these days. The Amazon corporation is flirting with grocery stores that will allow people to not interact with cashiers. Just pay and go. When even the service industry is being replaced by machines and the internet, we have a problem. How can we have a mainstream society that is against the jobless when most will be jobless? I think that in the future, "working 9 to 5" will be seen as a quaint concept like "child labor" was in the past. Acceptable then but not so much in the future.

It depends on the person's circumstances. I know a guy who will get hired, get angry in two days time, and quit. Then will remain jobless for months at a time. There's others who bust their butt trying to find work, hustle with side jobs, try to create work for themselves, just for some reason aren't getting hired.

Those are two different animals, and you can look at each accordingly.

Here's my example:

If you need to scrap and work "below" you, you certainly can find something. I was a minimum wage janitor over the summer to bring in a little extra cash. I had been a full time teacher a few years ago. I was a stay-at-home dad for several years, but I kept at it doing independent data entry, ebay flipping, and acting to earn some extra income while my wife works full time.

I'm not getting hired at the moment, but I'm trying, adjusting, all while trying to bring in income in other ways.

I'm in a funny situation where I was out of work for years, going into fields I don't have a background in (bach in theatre, master's in education), so there's some hurdles.

Other people don't try and just kind of drift.

If need be, you can find ways to work on your own if you're not gainfully employed. You can always do grindy data entry stuff at home. Find some kind of capacity while you hunt for your main job. Make it happen.

quote-Abraham-Lincoln-things-may-come-to

i feel sorry for them but in my opinion some are too picky or not really too motivated 

There are some jobs that will accept anyone applicable like Army reserve or Transit Police 

i do however have a beef with my countries lack of regulation when it comes to hiring people some jobs will say be sandwich making at a school and they will only ask for people with like 7 years experience and a degree in culinary arts

there was one job where all you had to do was clean toilets in the evening at this office building and they were asking for 5-8 years experience in cleaning... i mean its a joke it really is

i also hate working holiday Visa's because all the entry level jobs are taken up by tourists and locals cant get any work its so bad that a university student committed suicide after 5 years of applying for 20 jobs a day without so much as an interview 

I'm employed, but I know that unemployment isn't fun or glamorous. I know there are people who game the system, and that they'll never totally go away, but I know that's not how most people are, and I'm not gonna give the whole class a detention because of one bad student.

When it comes to joblessness, I try not to judge unless I know for sure. Because yeah, some people really are just unlucky or have challenges preventing them from getting a job. It is certainly a potential area for government program exploitation, but I think the value of humanitarian aid outweighs the people gaming the system. This may become even more of a problem in the future with the impending automation of a lot of human-operated jobs.

As I've stated before, it is basically impossible for me to find any sort of work, with or without help from a job agency.. I'm nearly 30, never worked in my life, have Asperger Syndrome (which is the major thing employers don't like, they see it as a liability), high stress levels (if I get too stressed out, I get sick really easily and sometimes that sickness can last for ages), depression, anxiety and I also cannot drive (I refuse to get behind the wheel because whenever I had gotten behind one, I could never drive straight, no matter how hard I've tried). I had been searching for work on and off for literally half of my life with absolutely no success, and it isn't that I've been looking in the wrong places (well maybe, it depends) as I've looked mostly in entry level places like fast food places and factories, heck even retail stores that say training is provided but yeah...so it isn't that I'm lazy and don't want to work, it's the opposite, I've just given up because I feel like no one will hire me, no matter where it is. And I've even tried the so-called "equal opportunity" places with no luck...

However it is the white trash kind of people who mooch off of the system without even trying to find work and they're most likely to succeed if they just quit their drugs and alcohol abuse and cleaned up, that I tend to judge.. They're also the ones that have high priority with community housing and I've been waiting on the list for nearly ten years now..

I understand why some groups of people can't work (namely the disabled and those who cannot find or hold down a job). For example, I can't hold down a job because of my mental disabilities, I have severe anxiety and are prone to sudden panic attacks and aggression. I also have a hard time concentrating because of my ADHD.

When it comes to people who are just using the welfare system to avoid working, I have a "meh" opinion on that. Somebody once told me that people who are just using the welfare system to avoid working should just be allowed to do their own thing. Why force those who want to be alone to take part in something large like society? There are people who actually believe that they have nothing to offer society and that it'd be better if they drop out and are left to their own devices.

It depends, really. If they're jobless, but putting in a lot of effort to find a job in whatever way possible then I respect them. If they're just lazy bums living off welfare through one or more legal loopholes then I think they're useless trash. That might be a rather black-and-white way of seeing it, and I acknowledge there might be people who fit in both camps to a degree, but on the whole that's my view of it. I don't really judge people for not having a job, only on the way they handle that.

I have a good but hard job but i wish for those who are unemployed to find a beautiful and remunerative job as soon as possible because unemployment is a bad thing. If someone is unemployed, they always have financial dependencies problems to their family or etc. You cant buy what you desire, you cant go to places as you wish and many more. This is valid for who hasnt familial wealth of course. If you are rich, unemployment mustn't be a problem for you,Eh? ;)

• 2 years later...

I won’t go into much detail about how I feel about those who don’t work. However, I will say that I know that everyone's case is different and that I don’t judge immediately.

I think no less of the unemployed. If I did I would be rather hypocritical, since I am unemployed as of now. But considering how hard it can actually be to find a job these days for some people in this country (unemployment rates are... a load of $#!+ really), judging them based on that is not only a d!ck move, but deservedly makes some people VERY upset with you.

As for what I think of the employed, well, I think that it makes no difference to them either way as long as they don't start shilling for the awful corporation they work for or something stupid.

Edited by Ayyngel Dust

It depends on why the person is unemployed and for how long. Basically what I do not particularly like are the "professional unemployed" who do not really want a job and just want to get welfare. 

I do not how this is elsewhere, but here, if you do not have a job, but want one, you sign up with the "job market". The government then gives you welfare for a while and the employees there try to find you a job. When they do, you go to the interview and either get the job or don't.

So, some people go to the interview and say "please sign here that I am unsuitable for your company - I do not want a job, I just want the welfare". 

I think that the USSR had this better - instead of providing welfare to unemployed people, the government gave a job to everyone so there were no unemployed people (IIRC it was illegal for healthy young people to be unemployed, unless you were a student - even if it was legal, only disabled people and retirees received money for free).

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

I won’t go into much detail about how I feel about those who don’t work. However, I will say that I know that everyone's case is different and that I don’t judge immediately.

I will just second this. 

• Brohoof 1

Depends on the situation. My best friend can't work for very specific reasons and that's okay. I will, however, look down on someone who doesn't work because they're genuinely lazy. I get it, working sucks, but put in some effort instead of being a leech.

19 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

So, some people go to the interview and say "please sign here that I am unsuitable for your company - I do not want a job, I just want the welfare". 

Its a huge problem here, and my government love just sending money to people who do fuck-all and dont have a valid reason to not work.

19 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

I think that the USSR had this better - instead of providing welfare to unemployed people, the government gave a job to everyone so there were no unemployed people (IIRC it was illegal for healthy young people to be unemployed, unless you were a student - even if it was legal, only disabled people and retirees received money for free).

The soviet union did do it better,

But it wasnt perfect, it should be unless you have to care for either children under 5, or an elderly relative, retired, student and people on the very end of their lives

• Brohoof 1

Different circumstances can prevent some people from working. Context is important and I don't think it's fair to judge anyone without it.

Edited by Cash In

I have sympathy for those that want to work but can't for whatever reason. I don't hate people who voluntarily choose to never do anything with their lives even though they're able to, although I think it's harder to respect those types of people.

• Brohoof 2