Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony merch addiction? Are you a victim?

ManaMinori

It's really scary when you start to realize that yeah, you might just be. I have, at times, tried to look at my collection and convince myself that I have SO much- too much, in fact. And I have tried parting with some of what I collected, giving generously to fellow pony friends. But no matter how many times I say that I'm satisfied with the pony merch that I have, I somehow wind up right back, searching store shelves for more, whether I have the needed funds for such frivolity or not, whether I really truly want the next item I buy or not. Whether I have the needed space for the next item or not. Whether or not I tell myself to limit future purchases to strictly Sunset Shimmer related products, in attempt to scrimp on said required space....

And I'm ashamed that so much of my money, time, and effort has been poured into this hobby gone horribly awry. It makes me sick that I'm in this deep- and I really truly think that the addiction stems from the ridiculously crappy combo of depression, desire for escapism into fantasy, and a desperate, yet futile attempt at clinging to my long gone childhood. But still, I don't think I can bear to part with the majority of what I invested do much time searching for, building up, and admiring -though most of it sits on shelves or in storage bins. (Sigh) Pony merch has ruined me, and what once used to be a joy is just a heavy weight on my conscious, heart, shoulders,and wallet.

Is anyone in a similar spot with their own pony collection and spending habits?

• Brohoof 2

No, not really... I pretty much only buy things i am really interested in and ignore the rest... there are other things I tend to obsess over when it comes to collecting.

I am curious though why you feel ashamed and such.... despite what you just said, it sounds like overall it does give you joy to hunt for and collect things....   and I would imagine in a case like this, anything that gives you joy is worth doing. There are some things i collect and sometimes I think I have too much or spent too much on some of it... but in the end, I realize I enjoy it, I enjoy hunting for it, or searching online for good deals, or whatever. A few people have questioned me and why i collect some of it, but I just think it is like a modern day treasure hunt I suppose. Some people get excited about finding new coins.. I get excited finding new figures and collectibles.

If collecting is a burden and not fun anymore, I would advise you to stop. And if you can't, then please seek out some kind of counseling. I'm not trying to be mean of course. But when there's a problem with addiction, it is often better to have someone else on your side.

I like my ponies but it won't get in the way of what's important. It's still a fun hobby of mine and while I have many ponies, I could always have more. I don't have "too many". If you have so many that it's getting in your way, it's definitely a problem.

• Brohoof 1

No, not really... I pretty much only buy things i am really interested in and ignore the rest... there are other things I tend to obsess over when it comes to collecting.

I am curious though why you feel ashamed and such.... despite what you just said, it sounds like overall it does give you joy to hunt for and collect things.... and I would imagine in a case like this, anything that gives you joy is worth doing. There are some things i collect and sometimes I think I have too much or spent too much on some of it... but in the end, I realize I enjoy it, I enjoy hunting for it, or searching online for good deals, or whatever. A few people have questioned me and why i collect some of it, but I just think it is like a modern day treasure hunt I suppose. Some people get excited about finding new coins.. I get excited finding new figures and collectibles.

Therein Lies the problem. You say that you only allow yourself to buy only what interests you and leave the rest, well for me, it feels like that line has been blurred. I get excited when pony hunting, because I don't know what I'll find, (as you said, it's the thrill of treasure hunting) but when I do, I buy it immediately, more often than not, whether I want it or not, because "omg, I found something pony!", And my wallet suffers for it. Do I enjoy pony finds? No doubt. But it's hard for me to leave it at the store, when I do, and I could be putting my money to more useful things, especially since I'm already on low income, and I've already handed Hasbro hundreds of dollars on pony things. That's why I'm ashamed.

I bought a 120$ wall poster commission from aurelleah of a romantic picture of twilight and rainbow dash, does that count? Maybe ill buy some figurines or something though, what do you buy nightmare? It sounds kind of cool to start collecting them like that

Somehow reading this thread REALLLLY makes me want to start collecting... thanks a lot nightmare muffin :3

Edited by trademark2

The only merchandise I get are the IDW comics--the ones that appeal to me--and the MLP CCG--I'm collecting the Super and Ultra Rare cards--so I'd say I'm not addicted.

Yes, I have become a victim to such . . . luxuries. Though, I think the only times I regret overindulging would be when I count up how much I've spent and what else I could've done with that money. I think I've spent over 300 dollars in my first year of being a brony. Curses. 

yup, its more that the impulse to buy pony and want to collect makes me happier I did it with pokemon stuff too. Every now and then I cull the collection by selling off whatever generic things I have and stick to buying certain characters only

• Brohoof 1

I do not buy any of the merchandise (Which I may have stated a lot over the time I have been on this forum). So if I don't buy anything I can't be addicted. 

We will lure you into temptation. You will feel the joy of owning ponies!

• Brohoof 1

New art new toys new music new new new. Then we get new acquired tastes and find 'new' old things. Its almost inevitable that we desire more unless we find a daily use for each then we would run out of time to spend enjoying each, so settle with a few extra cherished things. Especially if you already have a hobby that costs money.

• Brohoof 1

I do have plenty of pony merch. I think strangers can easily realise I like MLP by just looking at me in the street. The only problem is: I'm running out of space for it DX.

• Brohoof 1

uhm...well...i...nope!
several pins and necklaces, Funko and other figures, 20+ minifigures, plushie, bed coverings, 2 posters (1 more in the works), wallet, stickers, 2 tee's (1 coming hopefully soon), a bag...nope.
not addicted at all, because it's not enough!

My interest within my collection is my generation 1 and 2 collection the moment I look on ebay at times I just can't help, but add another one I do also collect generation 3 ponies so time to time if I find one for a good price I will purchase it as for generation 4 I do collect the figures, but I'm not to big on them so I can easily bypass a gen 4 figure, but as I said for the older generation I'm guilty I can't help , but add another one to my collection.

• Brohoof 1

My interest within my collection is my generation 1 and 2 collection the moment I look on ebay at times I just can't help, but add another one I do also collect generation 3 ponies so time to time if I find one for a good price I will purchase it as for generation 4 I do collect the figures, but I'm not to big on them so I can easily bypass a gen 4 figure, but as I said for the older generation I'm guilty I can't help , but add another one to my collection.

was Rainbow Dash in the older generations??

Edited by trademark2