Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The most popular Lesser Pony Species?

Leave a Whisper

Which is the most popular of the Lesser Pony Species?  

23 users have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite lesser pony species?

• Sea Ponies (G1) Shoop be doo, shoop shoop be doo!
    • Flutter Ponies (G1) Shift to Utter Flutter!
    • Wingers (G1) Like butterflies in spring.
    • Merponies ( G1, G3.5, G4) Under da sea!
    • Breezies (G3, G4) Breezies know how to make things grow
    • Alicorns (G4) Princess Power!
    • Changelings (G4) Emotional Vampires
    • Bat Ponies (G4) I...am the Batman...

This is one of those.. hard to answer ones, as it shifts around alot.

Changelings and Batponies are pretty close to one another if you're just looking at G4, but I think there's more Batpony fanart and OCs out there than Changelings, especially with the last finale which kinda messed around with Changelings.

Overall between all the generations, I'm going to have to go with Seaponies/Merponies. Mainly because the writers/artists/whatever make the differences between the two types rather fuzzy, and they keep showing up in canon sources. So there's gotta be some kind of following for them, even though there isn't as much fan-art for them as others.

• Brohoof 2

Wow, calling Alicorns "lesser ponies"... That's bold. I approve. I would prefer dragon ponies, but they weren't on the list and aren't technically canon... But if Alicorns are "lesser ponies" I might as well say "draconequus" x3

• Brohoof 3

I decided to go with Seaponies because of that iconic song of theirs way back in generation one, and also because they served as an inspiration of sorts with the designs of the Dazzlings. At least, I think the Dazzlings were inspired by Seaponies--the former are hippocampi after all.

I didn't separate their species for no reason. These pictures are from ponylandpress

I decided to go with Seaponies because of that iconic song of theirs way back in generation one, and also because they served as an inspiration of sorts with the designs of the Dazzlings. At least, I think the Dazzlings were inspired by Seaponies--the former are hippocampi after all.

Sea Pony. They are sea horses essentially.

post-37221-0-21988900-1481676482.jpg

Mermpony. These are closer to the Dazzlings design. As well as to Greek Hippocampi.

post-37221-0-67989600-1481676507.jpg

Edited by Leave a Whisper

If I had to choose one, I'd say Flutter Ponies. I know a lot of folks have been saying the "evolved" Changelings are practically the G4 Flutter Ponies. Except bugs.

Not in the least. Flutters are powerful, fairy-like creatures. Them turning into changelings isn't canon and makes no sense.

Not in the least. Flutters are powerful, fairy-like creatures. Them turning into changelings isn't canon and makes no sense.

G4 obviously has no connection to G1 outside of them reinventing characters to be used in the series. The Smooze was a giant green snot blob in G4, how is that connected to the Smooze from G1?

So in my extremely humble opinion, the "evolved" Changelings could be G4's version of the Flutter Ponies. Either that, or Rarity gaining those butterfly wings is how you get turned into a Flutter Pony.

G4 obviously has no connection to G1 outside of them reinventing characters to be used in the series. The Smooze was a giant green snot blob in G4, how is that connected to the Smooze from G1?

So in my extremely humble opinion, the "evolved" Changelings could be G4's version of the Flutter Ponies. Either that, or Rarity gaining those butterfly wings is how you get turned into a Flutter Pony.

That's fanon purely, based off a very good story I might add. But fanon all the same. They are separate species. Changelings are more like psychic vampires who feed off emotions. Parasites.

Flutter ponies are allies, they can eat normal food like any other pony in ponyland. They don't need to feed on others.

There's no reason to mash them into each other and claim it as fact.

That's fanon purely, based off a very good story I might add. But fanon all the same. They are separate species.

I don't read fan stories so I'm not aware of it. Regardless, the "evolved" Changelings count as Flutter Ponies in my book until further notice. Just like how the Sirens count as Sea Ponies and the Diamond Dogs count as Crunch the Rock Dog's descendants.

I don't read fan stories so I'm not aware of it. Regardless, the "evolved" Changelings count as Flutter Ponies in my book until further notice. Just like how the Sirens count as Sea Ponies and the Diamond Dogs count as Crunch the Rock Dog's descendants.

Show me a Changeling that can use utter flutter then. You may as well be comparing a dragonfly to a mosquito. And as for sirens who are actually carnivorous mermaids in Greek myth, I've shown you two toys of a sea pony and a merpony.

Clearly your just here to assert your head canon.

The pony gens Are Very Different from each other and some of them have their own unique species. Please don't go confusing others and changing established canon because your unable and unwilling to differentiate.

Show me a Changeling that can use utter flutter then. You may as well be comparing a dragonfly to a mosquito.

The Changelings just evolved into Flutter Ponies and we haven't gotten a chance to see their new abilities. Wait a few episodes for them to appear again and I can show you, bro.

Trust me.

The Changelings just evolved into Flutter Ponies and we haven't gotten a chance to see their new abilities. Wait a few episodes for them to appear again and I can show you, bro.

Trust me.

No. They are not. And I'm tired of explaining to someone who won't listen and who frankly speaking, doesn't know squat.

Don't call me bro either. I'm a chick.

No. They are not. And I'm tired of explaining to someone who won't listen and who frankly speaking, doesn't know squat.

I'm listening to you just fine, bro, I just disagree. The Flutter Ponies have returned with their new King Thorax. They are the G4 version of Flutter Ponies.

I didn't separate their species for no reason. These pictures are from ponylandpress

attachicon.gifsea-seamist.jpg

Mermpony. These are closer to the Dazzlings design. As well as to Greek Hippocampi.

So the Merpony are closer to the Dazzlings then. Thanks for pointing that out for me. I was really having trouble figuring out which one was connected to them. Time for me to change my vote.

• Brohoof 2

No problem @Ganondorf8. I honestly never realized merponies existed until several years ago.

Wow, calling Alicorns "lesser ponies"... That's bold. I approve. I would prefer dragon ponies, but they weren't on the list and aren't technically canon... But if Alicorns are "lesser ponies" I might as well say "draconequus" x3

Sorry. I never heard of them. I love your eye avatar. Did you draw that? Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1

It is a rather interesting question, but you seem to have left out one type. A type that most would have voted for from my perspective. The draconequus. (Discord's species) Other than that, it would be interesting to see the life of the Bat Ponies throughout their night to night lives, along with how they worship Luna.

• Brohoof 2

It is a rather interesting question, but you seem to have left out one type. A type that most would have voted for from my perspective. The draconequus. (Discord's species) Other than that, it would be interesting to see the life of the Bat Ponies throughout their night to night lives, along with how they worship Luna.

Oops! I always thought he was an Asian dragon, with his long body, goat horns and short limbs. Xo I would love to learn more about bat ponies.

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately there's not a lot to learn about Batponies. They appeared in FiM cartoon twice, three times if you count Flutterbat, have no official toys and have a passing mention in the G.M. Berrow's Luna book. That's it for their official appearances. And there's no precedent in any of the proceeding generations. And unfortunately in that second appearance in the cartoon, the batpony look seems to be due to the enchanted armor Rainbow Dash and the others were wearing, because when she took the helm off, her eyes went from slitted back to normal.

Flutterponies have a weird secondary appearance in G3.5, because all the pegasi characters suddenly switched to flutterpony-look-alikes in the G3.5 animations. Not the toys, just the animations. I haven't been able to dig up any explanation for that.

attachicon.gifsea-seamist.jpg

Yes, but as I said, the various writers/artists doing the animations and comics seemed to be a bit fuzzy as to the difference, drawing/writing them as interchangeable. The toys are distinct, but the other sources seem to be a bit confused. :)

Well actually Fhaolan there is a bat pony pulling a chariot in the nightmare night set at Toys r Us. My kid has one and I intend to pick him up for myself if there are any left. Cute little guy.

Really? I hadn't seen that one yet ... searching ...

Oh, cool. Moonlight Chariot Set. I had completely missed that one. Neverthemindthen.... :)

• Brohoof 1

I wonder, should windigos and sirens be considered candidates too? They look very horse-like, no?

@@Leave a Whisper,

Indeed, I drew the eye myself ^_^

Very cool I like it and yes, yes they should.

Really? I hadn't seen that one yet ... searching ...

Oh, cool. Moonlight Chariot Set. I had completely missed that one. Neverthemindthen.... :)

I call that one the Eye of Sauron Chariot. :P

• Brohoof 1

Formost popular... not sure.. I don't keep up with anything pre-G4, but the way so many talk i would imagine the sea and merponies are the most popular, even more so since they are making them a part of the upcoming movie.

My favorite as far as the show goes would be the alicorns since i am very curious about their history and that of Celestia and Luna. I like bat ponies as well... but as far as the show goes, i don't think they are necessarily anything that will be explored much further if at all. To my knowledge despite everything else they are just classified as a type of Pegasus as far as the official sources go.

• Brohoof 1