Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How to Be a Good DM 101

DwhitetheGamer

(This thread is not aimed at anyone; this is a general tutorial on how to improve your DM skills and/or progress for the newbies.)

Hello, all.  There are those who happen to know about being a good Directional Manager, but I'm here to state these things to those who are starting out, or have poor DMing skills, especially a fighting RP.

To start, when someone is making mistakes and is not doing anything about it, DO NOT JUST STAND AROUND AND LET THOSE MISTAKES PILE UP.  There have been instances where a player has been making these errors, like god-modding or making a character OP in a fight, and the DMs aren't doing anything about it, or adding on to the mistake making.  That's not being good DMs.  The situation is easily fixed by calling for a stoppage, and asking for a middle ground, or to fix those errors before they can move on.  If these situations can't be brought down, then of course you can kick them out.  It's the DM's job to monitor their RP, and if they aren't doing their job correctly, ask them to come to this thread.  If you do not monitor your own creations, they will implode faster than if you are monitoring them.

Another point involves multiple DMs in a big RP.  You will need multiple DMs to run a big RP, and there will be disagreements every once in a while.  The job of the DMs are to reach a middle ground, and when that happens, the RP will run smoothly.  If, however, you can't agree on the issue, and the RP derails, all of you are at fault, because none of you can agree on anything.  This goes for those who can't stand other people, as well.  If you can't stand your fellow DM, compromise and work on an agreement, because it's the only way to do if you're really wanting to RP.

Finally, if you want to remake one of your RPs that had died off, go for it.  If you have any new ideas, or you just want to have a whole new cast of characters in your disposal, what's stopping you?  Now this does not apply to RPs that have been made by someone else.  If you want to remake someone else's, make sure you ask them first, because if not your RP will more than likely be deleted.  If, however, the original DM can't be reached for some reason, try to contact them.  Though if they happen to say that they'll be gone from the forums for good, I guess there's nothing wrong with remaking one of their RPs.

Thank you for taking your time and reading this tutorial of how to be a good DM/asking.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  And if there's anything I left out, please post what is missing, because I know I haven't hit all of the points here.

Kay, bye!

• Brohoof 5

If I may?

Something I can honestly suggest to ALL potential DMs, and to all good roleplayers in general, is that you take the time to learn from your past mistakes... and not allow them to beat you down.

I have seen many an excellent character cut down in what seemed like their prime (or worse, their beginning) because the player hit a wall or caused an issue in-game simply quit.  They felt embarrassed that such a thing happened, or they had their hopes dashed too hard, or possibly even just got pissed off that things didn't go their way.

We have ALL been that person, from time to time... and even the best can sometimes fall off the wagon, figuratively speaking, and slip up in what they do.  The difference between a roleplayer and a writer is that writing is the easier of the two - you can control BOTH cause and effect completely, so there's no misstep in what you imagine happening.  With roleplay, you have little to no control over what may go on if you have your character interact - it's more akin to a virtual experience, but in writing (which is why an exquisite vocabulary is paramount in this endeavor).

Both are excellent forms of expression... but of the two, roleplay offers FAR greater a chance of exploring not only the limits of YOUR imagination, but to share a step or two in someone else's imagination as well.  After all, DO keep in mind that they have just as much knowledge of what YOUR plans are as you have of theirs.

Because of this, one should always keep an open mind about making mistakes, and act to correct them on their own; this is what garners respect from some of the old-school players, because it shows that you didn't just "take your lumps"... you learned your problem, fixed it, and moved on to keep roleplaying.  Each time, you get a bit wiser and you figure out little things you can do to not only make a difference in an RP, but be openly welcomed and even invited.

Frankly put, sometimes shit happens; it's whether you get back up after it does or not that separates the colt from the workhorse.

Thank you for your time.  *humbly bows*

• Brohoof 8

• 7 months later...

I will also add that if there is a particular player who is being a noob and bringing the roleplay down for everyone else, then do not give them infinate chances to make it better. To clarify, I mean a persistant rulebreaker who refuses to listen to correction and continues to post the way they want, NOT a roleplay newbie who is learning and who naturally is going to make mistakes.

Example:

In a Redwall themed roleplay, Player6 creates an OP character called Dustfang, who constantly tries to take over, defies Player2 who is the main villain, and godmods Player1, who is playing the Abbot of Redwall Abbey. Player6 also does things that are noncanon, such as creating battle robots and using weapons like machine guns. The DM reprimands Player6, who responds by having Dustfang kill Player2's character.

At this point, the DM should step in and tell Player6 in no uncertain terms that they are ruining the RP and if they keep on godmoding, being OP and introducing noncanon concepts, they will be booted out. The DM should also contact a mod to remove the offending posts and start again. Player6 keeps on being a noob. This is where some DMs fall down and instead of expelling the troublemaker, insist that everyone be understanding of newbies, despite the fact that Player6 is not a newbie, but a noob. At this point, most of the other players get sick of all the mess that Player6 is making and leave the RP, which eventually fizzles out due to this,

• Brohoof 2

I will be DM (as in dungeon master) for the first time in the near future, the bunch I usually play with are all friends from school and there is a problem I am facing, banter, I'm not too sure on how to prevent them from getting completely distracted by one another and just talk instead of actually play, I would like them to get really invested in the quest to better suit the tense atmosphere and so that each crippling defeat will feel so much more real to them, I want to see the anguish in their eyes, muhahaha! The main thing is trying to balance out staying focused and relevant but still have fun, if you have any advice on how I could better do that as DM I would really appreciate hearing it!

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Snow said:

I'm not too sure on how to prevent them from getting completely distracted by one another and just talk instead of actually play, I would like them to get really invested in the quest to better suit the tense atmosphere

One way to get your players engaged in your story is to include them into its' concept... which will take some talking between you and them.

Most players have at least a passing idea as to what they want their characters to do, or where they want them to end up; work that into the storyline, and you'll see a marked increase in interest.  Here, like this:

Say you've got P1, who wants to see a number of Thestrals (Bat-Ponies, for those who don't know), and P2 wants their character to meet Princess Luna.  Not to mention P3, who really wants nothing more than to fight a brave fight, earning honor and accord.

Simple enough - have the story revolve around a plot against Canterlot which happens at night; P1 gets their Thestrals, as they are Luna's personal guard; P2 gets the chance to not only MEET Luna, but fight alongside her as well... and P3?  They're in PARADISE, because they get to hack and slash to their heart's delight - and make a grand show of their ability and fighting prowees in the presence of Royalty!

Now, if you have a particular theme/plotline/whatever in mind for the story you're running, then do it - but get some feedback from your players before you even begin, and find ways to work those ideas in where and when you can.  Alluding to some of their goals early will get their attention, and there's not a whit of shame in occasionally checking in with your players (individually AND as a group) to make sure they're getting what they want out of it.

With a little planning and some dialog between you and your players, you can craft and mould a story that'll keep their attention AND spark their imaginations.

• Brohoof 1