Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you believe in God?

Krakken

Im an atheist and secular humanist. I used to be a Catholic, but I found some things in the bible I really couldnt support in good faith. I thought similarly of some of the deeds of my ancestors and even people today doing bad things in the name of their faith. Thus I decided to abandon my path and follow my own convictions.

On the theist-atheist scale, im probably an 8 or 9. Call me impudent, but I really dont care if im "wrong". If there is a creator and they are truly a just being, theyll know my motivations and why I believe in what I believe.

• Brohoof 1

I believe that the extremely powerful and wise individual known as God exists but that he didn't create the universe but was merely the first sentient being in it and over time gained the knowledge to manipulate and shape the universe like a scientist and architect

Yeah I'm Christian. I notice a lot of people saying how imperfect a world God makes, therefore making him imperfect and sometimes I wonder if that is just the overall challenge that humanity faces. The imperfect world. I feel like we just need to spread the good will in us all.

Edited by TwilightAqua
  • Brohoof 1

If you'd asked me ten years ago, I would have said absolutely not. Now that I'm a decade closer to my mortal end, and have studied the Bible at some length, I'm more neutral. I still consider myself nonreligious, but I don't feel pressed to prove the existence or nonexistence of a divine being. I aim to make the best of what I have on this Earth, and live the best life I can. To quote the folk singer Iris DeMent:

"Everybody is wonderin' what and where they all came from,

Everybody is worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done,

But no one knows for certain and it's all the same to me,

I think I'll just let the mystery be."

I'd call myself an agnostic atheist, meaning I don't believe a God or gods exist, but that I can't know for sure. Nothing I've seen has ever given me the idea that an all-powerful entity exists, though.

Christian, Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist, Hinduist etc?

buddhism has no ghad. As an amateur buddhist, I take offense to this. But the buddha said: you will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.

In other words: no

Never been a believer of any diety. I'm entirely open to the potential possibility of a creator or higher lifeform, but there has yet to be any empirical evidence to support the existence of one.

I support peer-reviewable and falsifiable evidence, and seeing as there is yet to be any that suggest a creator but plenty to discredit the claim of one, I do not believe there to be one.

However, I'm not so shrewd as to ignore any potential future evidence. If it so happens that there is solid evidence of a creator, I would happily change my views. Choosing to ignore empirical evidence(in any situation) is a childish and ignorant way to view life and is the root of a great many problems and setbacks in human history.

I was christened a Methodist but as I grew older and started thinking for myself I questioned a lot of what I had been told and eventually became a full on atheist. I studied a lot of science and now I study history and I just can't believe in God anymore from what I have learned.

I do, however I'm unsure how to feel about him. I understand the people who feel angry or upset to Him for what does and doesn't happen to us, but I also can relate with people who are happy to have a relationship with Him and what it means, kind of.

• Brohoof 1

Naw I looked into it in depth and it seems man-made, if I ever got into religion it'd probably be some for fun or lulz equestrian one.

But my beliefs are either no gods, any number of gods, no simulation, a simulation, or no god-like beings or beings posing as gods, or any number of god-like beings posing as gods. Those are the possibilities, and because no gods currently exist actively on earth due to process of elimination, and etc, I don't think any man-made ones are real. If such a being existed and for whatever reason ended up on earth I am sure its 'chosen people' if it had any would simply be taught better technology or simply adopted and removed from the eco-system. But we do not see any insanely fast developing technologies which eliminates the idea of an active god on earth now or in ancient times. 

I can not truely believe any one I hear because I know it may be wrong, unless it provides strong evidence of course that is not subjective to human psyches which have all manner of psychological errors and biases, even for sane and honest people.

Plus all of the research I have done still points further in this direction, just repeatedly. Like the religious are more gullible, which means their standards of evidence for a god are likely worse than a scientist, and if it could be any god don't you want to make the most informed decision? Instead they simply assume, not all of them, but alot of them. Most? Idk, data is inconclusive.

So I would take on a religion for fun, and for values that I rationally decode as objectively good due to consequences of practice of the values, not presumption or through just philosophy. 

• Brohoof 1

Yes, for philosophical reasons as well as anecdotal evidence. Also, if I'm completely honest, I'd say my hope for the existence of one has contributed to me believing in one.

Science gives us a good idea of how the universe works but it doesn't tell us anything about supernatural things. If God exists, then he has shielded himself from the scientific realm, so we should use other forms of evidence to determine his existence if we are to be open to that possibility.

Used to, but I started thinking about all the bad things that God would allow, it seemed as if he wasn't really helping people really in need. Surely an all loving God would not allow this to happen? Then I just figured that maybe there is not divine being.

No. When I was younger I might have believed I don't remember but no. I don't say it/he/she/they can't exist, it/he/she/they might, but I don't believe so, or at least not in forms that religions tell. it's like ghosts and aliens to me, if there is no solid evidence for or against it(and I don't see it with my own eyes.), I don't form a solid opinion about it. 

• 3 years later...

I do, actually. But I only bring up my religion when directly asked...such as in this thread. :P I'm not outwardly religious. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

I don't believe in the Judeo-Christian concept of "God", no. However, I don't hate on anyone who does. In my own view, though, the question of whether God physically exists or not is irrelevant and rather silly. People are their own (metaphorical) gods, and should live according to what makes them happy in life, and satisfy their desires (within reason, of course).

• Brohoof 2

I believe in many gods. I believe every god has a specific influence over an area, but the Judeo-Christian god has far overreached and outstretched its influence to the point of trying to kill off other gods and other peoples culture. I'm none too pleasant around the Abrahamic faiths~ 

• Brohoof 2

I've already mentioned this on a number of threads like this, but I may as well do it again. :P I wholeheartedly believe in God, that He is our loving Heavenly Father, and that His son Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. I believe that He speaks to us today though His Holy Spirit and that He is building His kingdom in preparation for the return of His son Jesus Christ. I believe that Jesus is building His church in this day, led by prophets and apostles that receive revelation and inspiration to guide us back to Him. I believe that God is someone who loves all of His children, and that He continues to inspire prophets to write new scripture, which gives more insight into who He is and into the power of Jesus Christ. I believe that there is no greater happiness than that which comes though Jesus Christ.

Wow, that makes me feel like a missionary again. lol ^_^

• Brohoof 2