Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you have family members that you just can't stand?

ManaMinori

I think the better question is, are there any that I CAN stand? I honestly hate most of my family, especially on my dad's side. Most of the people are idiots with no value for life or anything joyful and seem to be fueled by sheer stupdity. Nowadays I avoid most of them like the plague. It is that bad. My brother is one of the few people in my family that I admire and can connect with.

• Brohoof 1

There are two of them:

My nephew. Sure he's 7, but even for that age he's just so annoying and irritating... Well got to deal with him again in about a week or so though... That's going to be misery.

My grandmother. I think I've stated enough that she can be ridiculous. It's so peaceful now that she's not here... freaking elderly drama queen. Complains A LOT. She doesn't shut up... She was also absurdly strict (9:00 bedtime is pretty ridiculous) and was always negative. Never positive about anything or anyone.

Though I wouldn't wish either off the face of the Earth, I can't stand living with them. Although my siblings sleep like HIBERNATING POLAR BEARS, and my dad is FILTHY, it's fine.

My mom, brother and mother-in-law for several reasons.

The least horrible thing both my mom and mother-in-law have done was tell me they wished I was dead on multiple occasions. My mother-in-law also told my husband she wished he was dead and that neither she nor his dad loved him. (His dad said otherwise.)

My brother used to beat me until I required medical attention and my mom encouraged it.

Thankfully, my mom and brother live on the other side of the country and my MIL is moving south next May. I'm certainly better off without them. :lol:

Edited by Puddle Duck

Quite a few. My parents, one of my uncles, two of my aunt's and several cousins.

My mom, brother and mother-in-law for several reasons.

The least horrible thing both my mom and mother-in-law have done was tell me they wished I was dead on multiple occasions. My mother-in-law also told my husband she wished he was dead and that neither she nor his dad loved him. (His dad said otherwise.)

My brother used to beat me until I required medical attention and my mom encouraged it.

Thankfully, my mom and brother live on the other side of the country and my MIL is moving south next May. I'm certainly better off without them. :lol:

:( *hugs* I'm sorry to hear that. Family should never treat each other that way.

My nephew. Sure he's 7, but even for that age he's just so annoying and irritating... Well got to deal with him again in about a week or so though... That's going to be misery.

I went through that with my brother. It's hard being 8.5 years apart in age; you have virtually nothing in common but have to share close quarters with each other. It's a lot easier now that we're under separate roofs. 

I think that most people have at least one family member that they can't stand. I guess I consider myself lucky that I can't really think of one at the moment, or at least I see on a constant or consistent basis.

I can't say that I do, as far as blood relatives go. I do have a cousin who's married to a woman who has been quite nasty to my family, though, and who has exhibited very manipulative and controlling behavior. Her contact with my family is very limited nowadays.

Trigger warning.

A parent of mind.

I always try to like people and find good in them even if they're annoying or irritating, and I do.

The same with my dad, but his rage at my mother (and me sometimes) can drive me nuts and piss me off. Also his apathy to things that need attention or I'd hope he'd care avoid is bloody annoying.

It happens often, and I get very negative thoughts, but again, not always. I don't /hate/ him.

That's the thing though, really.  I often say that it takes up far too much energy to outright hate. So I do feel I'm being unfair when I exaggerate enough to say I hate my parents. They're not the worst, of course, they're just absolute terrible examples of humanity.

I suppose, to put it one way, its sort of like Harry Potter's relatives the Dursleys. Been ages since I read the series or movies but I was deeply into it. The Dursleys were at BEST borderline abusive, but you got the sense that was just the way there were & how they... grew to be, for lack of a better word. They were just people who couldn't interact with others without being as ignorant, stubborn, offensive & mean as they can be. That's how my family was & is, and I wouldn't ask better of them. Just if you threw me into a mixing pot and pulled me out at random to assign me to a different family from birth; there's likely a 3 in 4 chance of any random family having done me a better childhood.

I'll spare you any details, because I know if I get started on Mother you'll never get me to stop. Sufficed to say, I've seen even those forced to work alongside my mother start getting twitchy & fearful and look for any excuse at all to excuse themselves from the pain of having to deal with standing in front of the demonic presence that is my Mother.

My Mother's side reviles & ignores each other with a passion. My father's is more loving but with as large as his family is with nearly an aunt or uncle living in half of every state its near impossible for them to keep in contact, so caring may not be the first word that comes to mind. Never knew much outside my direct family or the loud, tyrannical rule of my Mother. But, least i'm out now.

So, yes, to answer your question: all of it. My sister is the only redeemable of the lot, who turned out normal as could be expected from such a pool of dysfunction. Though I'm not going to say I fully agree with ever decision she's made.

I fear I may have vented a bit too much there. Ah well, here's hope to your own family woes, eh?

Gonna say about half the ones I've got, we've been used as a dumping ground for unwanted cats and dogs of theirs for ages. They also use us as a motel in the summer, so I never really did have actual summers to do what I wanted. Now they're trying to pawn off a cousin I totally hate on us so they don't have to care for him as he gets older.

Honestly, moving to the east coast and cutting all ties with them is pretty appealing some days.

Nothing comes to mind right now. There's an entire side to my family which I don't have any connection with but that's a long story. I suppose I wouldn't like to be around them considering that history so maybe they count but I don't have any active hatred against them. Just antipathy.

I suppose my whole family can get on my nerves a lot, but it's only some of my extended family members that I really can't stand. Some people on my dad's side have feuded over a stupid will for a few years now, which really gets annoying. Also, my grandmother on my dad's side seems to enjoy making snarky remarks about my mother, and my aunt is fairly narcissistic.

• Brohoof 1

1. Looks like somepony has a story for other ponies. 

2. My grandpa and I never saw eye to eye and when I was young I'd be telling myself that he was mean, but now I'm 15 and he still gets on my case, but not as much. Were much "cooler" with each other now, and I realize that he's 83 he can't do anything anymore. (But still though sometimes there is no excuse for being rude)