Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Good forums are hard to find

Rosa

Penny for your thoughts?  

34 users have voted

1. 1. Is MLP Forums the best site?

• Yes
    • No

I should add I kinda messed up, BADLY on the last forum I was really active on (and some of you know which one). I've learned from that, and let myself mature over those 9 years ago that I was on that forum, and now I'm doing well on MLPF.

• Brohoof 1

I stayed on this Website for 3 Months and I already enjoying my Stay here.

Yes it is the Best MLP Forums ever!

Oh and they have Amazing Staff Members in this Forum!

Edited by Zachary
  • Brohoof 2

Honestly, this forum is not the best one I've been to, the forum I'm mainly on has a more active userbase (despite being older) and is more generic rather than specific, and also the moderators interact with the userbase a lot more often than what I've seen here, it's also funny to read ban reasons sometimes.

Not saying this forum is bad in anyway, especially since you're not restricted to 64x64 avatars unless you're a member for 5 years.

Edited by Love You
  • Brohoof 1

Regardless of what happened here a little while back or any other internal disputes...

This place is fine to me, and I've had a wonderful time here. No, this place is great, and I think folks should just decide to be happy and they'll start feeling the same way as I do. c:

And wow, I'm not usually this positive, but I think being around people less positive than me (Sorry guys! :P) has really changed my 'tude. Sorta. Depends on who I have as company.

Edited by Eazyfries
  • Brohoof 3

Improving a forum that has turned into a battleground sounds absolutely hard to do, so I have no idea myself. Big communities tend to have bigger disputes, or at least that's how it has felt from my experience.

However, this forum has been the place where I'm able to have the courage to be the most active I can be. There are so many threads to see every day and that's a delight. The community here is super active too and that's definitely a positive thing. It's also not a surprise that friendship happens on a forum dedicated to a show that teaches about friendship.

It's still not the best forum out there because it's difficult to be the absolute best there could be.

I love this one because it's similar to one forum I was on, but I'm gonna avoid saying anything bad about it, since a former admin from that forum is an admin here as well.

I don't think they will punish you for that since there is restraint put on the other staff because if they do something without permission, it will not be tolerated.

But nonetheless, I'm still getting used to it, so my view might change. I just hope nobody here starts anything with me, I really detest bronies who try and trash another for their beliefs.

Edited by Rosa

I have come to the conclusion that admins and moderators of most fannish sites, be it of MLP or anything else, get chosen mostly through cronyism and activity on the forum rather than any real interpersonal communication skills. This is the downfall of many sites. If the site was also created by an immature person who just likes to be seen as the one in charge, that's even worse.

Out of all the forums, I've used. this forum is certainly the one I've enjoyed the most.

Sure I have bouts where I go inactive for a little while, but I always end up coming back.

I think the worse thing for a forum is not having enough members.

There was this one Animorphs forum that was a complete ghost town! No one posted. 

No one did anything! At least not anymore. The only thing the site had that was any good anymore was the download page where you could get PDF version of the books to read. 

A good forum should have the vibe of a small town! 

At least that's what I think. 

Not necessarily, even thousands of members doesn't guarantee activity. This is one of the highest points of this forum, has lots of activity, even at the face of hiatuses and hardly new information  :-P .

• 3 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:37 PM, chaton said:

They're a lot more than horror stories if you've witnessed them, or have had run-ins with the staff firsthand.

IIRC a few of the better staff members left all at once a few months ago because of the qualms they had with the rest of the staff team. I'm pretty sure they deleted the thread and blocked discussion of the situation.

Did they say where they may go instead of here if you recall?

Forums are only as good as the ponies who populate and run them. In the case of MLP Forums, my experiences have been overall excellent. The staff is top notch in my experiences, and the community here is fun and active.  I've enjoyed it vastly more than the previous forums I've been on. Unfortunately, every forum, no matter what, is going to have its share of bad apples. People are people and you get all kinds. For the most part, I haven't had all that many run-ins with combative jerks just looking to start something negative. I simply avoid them and let them make asses out of themselves if they wish. I've made many friends here and that's what counts.

These forums have recently undergone a change in look which I don't like, but aside from that, I'd say this is about as good as you're going to find. :twi: 

Edited by Dreambiscuit

I've been on other forums and found this one to really be the most populated. The 2nd most populated one even listed on google isnt anywhere close to this one. I stayed there for years but found people leaving faster than joining and couldnt find enough topics being made. I eventually got bored of always clicking refresh in hope that some new content was shared but usually not. I wasnt expecting much more from this site but it turned out to be MUCH more busy than I had expected which made me post here alot more than others.

Decent forums, in my opinion:

1. Stop being loose as hell on definitions and terms/rules on what is allowed and not allowed. Rules are to be enforced properly, and equally

2. Discussion/debate is unavoidable. Do not butt in, as an admin, if you see an argument/opinion that you personally do not like

3. Different opinions is unavoidable. Clashes can and will occur. Unless rules are broken, don't butt in

4. Don't have admins who abuse their powers, ie, ban/warn people for non-existent rules, using double-standards

5. The less censored a forum become, it naturally drift towards being slightly Right-wing, due to the Rights' views on Individuality and opinions in general

6. Admins/mods are to keep their private lives and their jobs as admin/mods, seperate. If you are incapable of doing this, then you are not fit as a mod

7. Specific subforums, if needed. Perhaps even a shitposting/trolling section, where you can have the option of muting said subforum(s)

That about sums it up, I guess. May have more I can add later on.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...