Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The underappreciated games thread!

Love You

This is a thread all about those games that you personally feel didn't get as much love as you think they should, either in terms of reception, sales, general aura surrounding the game.

For now I only have one, and that is Lost Planet 2.

The lost planet series is well known for not being that well known, and it's a shame really, the first one was ok, it had a lot of good ideas that weren't executed to the best they could, movement was sluggish, since the best you could do is walk, and mechs didn't have the umf they could've.

Lost Planet 2 fixed all of this by making the game more arcade-y, movement was faster, mechs were better to use, and the game was co-op, a fun co-op game at that. However, the game did not sell that well, which resulted in the massive let down of Lost Planet 3 which ultimately had combat slower than the first one, weird lore changes, and boring boss fights.

I just made a list of these a week ago. Though other games that come to mind include Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.

With Disgaea, it's not in any way the case of being unpopular. It's just that the game itself is so much of a masterpiece, I feel it should be considered one of the best RPGs of all time, if not the best. The soundtrack is quite easily the most nostalgic soundtrack ever devised. The gameplay is complex, and well executed. The plot was well written, though not the best. It wasn't written absurdly well, but it added to the game's theme of being dark but also comedic at the same time. The graphics make it look like you're playing an anime. Even the way the plot is sequenced ties into this. IN EPISODES. But, really, this is up there with games like Banjo-Kazooie and Team Fortress 2. Among the greatest ever made. Though I like that it was given some attention recently in the form of a TF2 melee weapon, that's a clone of every melee default. BUT IT'S A PRINNY DAGGER (though it more alludes to the Prinny Hero series)!!!

• Brohoof 1

Well I would have to say that Maple Story is one of the huge disappointment games and didn't earn a lot of love. As I speak for the people who wanted pre-Big Bang, There was a lot of enjoyment and fun since before that update. Not only that, but a lot of issues came to the game such as hackers, botters, bugs, and glitches. As of hackers and botters go, GMs aren't doing anything to catch these hackers and botters. For Bugs & Glitches, Nexon aren't doing anything to fix them, but abiding their time so I guess maple story lost all the love after big bang update came in.

Probably a weird entry, but Dogz 2/Catz 2 on the PS2. I played those when I was a kid. They aren't like other "Animal"+Z games where you take care of pets, instead it's an adventure game where you happen to play as a dog or cat respectively. I also love The Dog Island (the Game Grumps played it if you wish to see).

It's adorable, the music's good, the story (specially from The Dog Island) is actually quite serious and it's a lot of fun. Maybe not for adults, but it's a great game for children.

• Brohoof 1

The Drawn to Life franchise are a few games that I am a bit sad never really got a lot of attention.

They had some really great music, and the gimmick of drawing/creating your own hero and weapons, and other things inside of the world that you needed to progress the game was something that worked really well.

• Brohoof 3

I just made a list of these a week ago. Though other games that come to mind include Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.

With Disgaea, it's not in any way the case of being unpopular. It's just that the game itself is so much of a masterpiece, I feel it should be considered one of the best RPGs of all time, if not the best. The soundtrack is quite easily the most nostalgic soundtrack ever devised. The gameplay is complex, and well executed. The plot was well written, though not the best. It wasn't written absurdly well, but it added to the game's theme of being dark but also comedic at the same time. The graphics make it look like you're playing an anime. Even the way the plot is sequenced ties into this. IN EPISODES. But, really, this is up there with games like Banjo-Kazooie and Team Fortress 2. Among the greatest ever made. Though I like that it was given some attention recently in the form of a TF2 melee weapon, that's a clone of every melee default. BUT IT'S A PRINNY DAGGER (though it more alludes to the Prinny Hero series)!!!

Really? I think Disgaea is a rather well known series :huh:. I think the aforementioned Prinny Hero series are far less known (a shame, those games are the shit) 

I would mention Castlevania Lords of Shadow, but I think that has a chance to become a sough out cult classic like Majora's Mask is, but I think Metroid Prime Federation Force is far too unappreciated, but I think it's mostly of it being a victim of circumstance. It's not an excellent game by all means, but I think it's pretty decent that don't deserve the crap it got   

Rogue Trooper. Basically, it's a third-person shooter based off a 2000AD comic strip where you play as a super-soldier on a planet called Nu-Earth, hunting down a traitor who sold out the player character's company in the beginning of the game.

Here's a trailer for anyone curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIAYuXhKyZ8

And then there's Rise of Legends, a real-time strategy game that takes place on another world, where you play as one of three factions: The steampunk Italian-styled Vinci, the Arabian Nights-styled Alin, and the Mesoamerican-themed Cuotl. There were going to be three more factions, but the game wasn't finished in time for that.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dkILIjs8J0

Really? I think Disgaea is a rather well known series :huh:. I think the aforementioned Prinny Hero series are far less known (a shame, those games are the shit) 

I think I did mention that it was. But I still feel it's underappreciated because I personally think it's among the best of all time, not just good.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. All of them. Except Gates, that was kinda a shitty one. They are so underappreciated; they have great gameplay, godlike plots and characters, and a spectacular postgame. 

• Brohoof 1

Crystalis an absolutely amazing adventure game on the NES.

Toejam and Earl; Panic on Funkotron for the Sega Genesis.

Zombies bore me, but Zombies Ate My Neighbors for the SNES/Sega is awesomely whacky and fun.

The GBA version of Spyro the Eternal Night is atmospheric, beautiful and challenging

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon for the Wii is a great dungeon crawler. And I hate dungeon crawlers.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

• 5 years later...

VVVVVV is such an interesting game that I often don't hear anyone talk about. It's whole gimmick is anti-gravity, which is a mechanic that I'm not particularly fond of. However, it works in such an organic way that makes for some complex, but fun platforming challenges.

Being a Platinum and Suda51 fan be like 

you could count the amount of success games both had on one hand. But regardless I still love their games and hope they can continue making the games they want to make*

*but for the love of god no more stinkers like TMNT and Korra

Any of the Ace Combat games. They have a cult following, but they've gone under the radar among general audiences who prefer their combat to be on the ground with first person shooters. Ace Combat 04 in particular is among my favorite games of all time. Also has one of my favorite game soundtracks.

And then there's Sky Odyssey. One of the earliest PS2 games. Sky Odyssey resembles the Pilotwings series, except the focus is on an adventure mode. You embark on a quest to find a mythical lost tower hidden somewhere in a group of islands.

6 hours ago, Prospekt said:

Any of the Ace Combat games. They have a cult following, but they've gone under the radar among general audiences who prefer their combat to be on the ground with first person shooters. Ace Combat 04 in particular is among my favorite games of all time. Also has one of my favorite game soundtracks.

And then there's Sky Odyssey. One of the earliest PS2 games. Sky Odyssey resembles the Pilotwings series, except the focus is on an adventure mode. You embark on a quest to find a mythical lost tower hidden somewhere in a group of islands.

ACE COMBAT FOR THE WIN :ticking:. I’ve finished AC7 many times, including the highest difficulty recently :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1