Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Friendship is magic end after the movie or no im so confused

TwilightSparkleAndAJ

I really hope that it doesn't, but it is a very distinct possibility. The movie looks like it is going to be huge and for a show like this, one that was going to end after season 3, to get a massive movie after its 7th season, it really seems like it will be the grand finale. It is possible, but it is a wait and see scenario.

• Brohoof 2

In 2014, Hasbro made the statement that My Little Pony will have at least 4 more years. They did not specify that it was 4 more years of the Friendship is Magic cartoon series, just that "My Little Pony" will be continuing and given that Hasbro still thinks like a toy company it's very likely they meant the toy lines. It's *possible* they also meant 4 more years of the FiM cartoon series, but nobody in Hasbro has made that explicit. And 4 years is a long time to promise for a TV show.

FiM is Generation 4 of the franchise, and Hasbro has done fairly serious revisions mid-way through a generation before. G1 had a revision part-way through, going from G1 (as shown in My Little Pony 'n Friends) to G1.5 ( as shown in My Little Pony Tales). G3 also had Core 7, G3.5, and the Newborn Cuties lines, each of which was a revision (The cartoons also changed to match the toys). So given that the movie might be a natural 'stopping point', a lot of fans are speculating that it will be the end of FiM, and Hasbro will do a revision to a G4.5. It's just fan speculation, though it is based on the types of things Hasbro has a tendency to do.

And Hasbro isn't really talking about it, because why would they? If they announced abandoning the G4 lines *now* before they had something to replace it, their sales will plummet. And according to their investor/stockholder reports, My Little Pony is still the cornerstone top seller for their Girls department. They're not going to risk that.

Now, the Equestria Girls line hasn't done so well as a toyline, but the movies and videos are doing reasonably well for returns on investments. No matter what people say about them, the 'movies' are selling fairly well. And Hasbro had G3 be all direct-to-video and the like. With Hasbro breaking off from Discovery awhile ago (no more HUB), this might be a signal that Hasbro is intending to move from a TV series back to direct-to-video 'movies' and toy set VCDs, something that they're far more comfortable with. In which case FiM will continue, but in a completely different form-factor. But again, that's just speculation. Nobody really knows, because Hasbro themselves aren't talking.

• Brohoof 3

With a show like My Little Pony, I doubt they'll cancel it when the opportunity is first handed to them, because the franchise has changed so that the toyline is more closely related to the show, and although the show is just fuel for the little girls' imaginations (which I've realised is the reason why The Mane 6 do less and less fighting on the show), little girls will still watch it as their favourite characters still have things to do, even those who have closed on one story arc can easily acquire another without hassle. There are also those who are starting to watch the show for nostalgic benefit. I know that "nostalgia" on the internet usually means like 15-20 years, but remember, a girl who was 9 when the show came out would be celebrating her 16th birthday this year, so this could be a chance for Hasbro and DHX to cash in on that. I sure was 9 when the show started, and although it wasn't a childhood thing, I still like it for what it would've provided me had I watch it at a younger age.

Without the show will we still have the bronies???

Oh sure. After all Trekkies and Whoovians both went years without a show until both franchises were resuscitated. In fact, those fandoms kept growing after the original shows were cancelled, and the new incarnations of the shows after those years passed were staffed by people who were fans of the originals. Heck FiM itself owes a lot to Lauren Faust being a fan of the original G1 show back when she was a kid. So I have no doubts there will be bronies after FiM is gone.

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello i have a question back in 2014 there was a thing that went out and said that mlp will have 4 more seasons but alot of people are saying the show will end after the movie is this true or will there be more friendship is magic even after the movie thanks (/

The point of the movie is to bring I to a larger audience. So no it won't end. At least as long as Hasbro likes making money.
  • Brohoof 1

I hope so.

The show has already lasted a really long time, and the movie is the best shot it has at this point at ending on a high note, and not becoming another Simpsons or Spongebob.

• Brohoof 1

No, we're going into a new era of the show with Starlight possibly being the new protagonist, I doubt the show is ending now. If anything I think the movie and Season 7 will help change the direction of the franchise.

I don't think there's anything to really be confused about. Either Hasbro will take the opportunity to end the series on a high note, or keep it going in the hopes that it won't get too stale. Neither Hasbro or DHX have said anything to support or deny the notion of the show ending at that point so all we have to go on is conjecture. I'm sure the fandom will stick around regardless and even if the show were to end, it's uncertain whether the plug will be pulled on all the spinoff media, and there is no plug to pull in regards to fan content so that will certainly continue to be produced. Personally, I plan on just crossing that bridge when we get there. Until then I don't plan on giving too much thought as to whether said bridge is coming in the near future or not.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think there's anything to really be confused about. Either Hasbro will take the opportunity to end the series on a high note, or keep it going in the hopes that it won't get too stale. Neither Hasbro or DHX have said anything to support or deny the notion of the show ending at that point so all we have to go on is conjecture. I'm sure the fandom will stick around regardless and even if the show were to end, it's uncertain whether the plug will be pulled on all the spinoff media, and there is no plug to pull in regards to fan content so that will certainly continue to be produced. Personally, I plan on just crossing that bridge when we get there. Until then I don't plan on giving too much thought as to whether said bridge is coming in the near future or not.

The point of the movie is to bring the show to a larger audience. In essence money. Hasbro is a corporation. Like all corporations it's primary goal is to make a profit. So mlp will last as long as it is still profitable.
  • Brohoof 1

It better not. I quickly grew to love this and don't want to see it go, even if it's replaced by a new one, I'm just way to connected. I doubt they would just end it without an official "warning" when it's this big. I think it would just be wrong to end the show without giving an official statement about it at least a season in advance.

• Brohoof 1

The point of the movie is to bring the show to a larger audience. In essence money. Hasbro is a corporation. Like all corporations it's primary goal is to make a profit. So mlp will last as long as it is still profitable.

That is actually a fairly specious argument for the show continuing on after the movie. If a movie could revive a dead franchise like Trolls, then it's possible there will be renewed interest in everything MLP, and this is coming from someone who doesn't think the Trolls movie is all that great. It does seem like marketing to girls is on the rise though as Trolls and even Star Wars are now being advertised to a female audience, so maybe Hasbro is on to something by releasing the MLP Movie later this year.

Hello i have a question back in 2014 there was a thing that went out and said that mlp will have 4 more seasons but alot of people are saying the show will end after the movie is this true or will there be more friendship is magic even after the movie thanks (/

I've actually been debating whether to move this thread for a while now as it largely centres around the movie, but kept it where it is because there seemed to be more discussion beyond just the film. However, it seems that the main focus is on the film and the aftermath, so I have decided to move it to the appropriate forum.
  • Brohoof 1

That is actually a fairly specious argument for the show continuing on after the movie. If a movie could revive a dead franchise like Trolls, then it's possible there will be renewed interest in everything MLP, and this is coming from someone who doesn't think the Trolls movie is all that great. It does seem like marketing to girls is on the rise though as Trolls and even Star Wars are now being advertised to a female audience, so maybe Hasbro is on to something by releasing the MLP Movie later this year.I've actually been debating whether to move this thread for a while now as it largely centres around the movie, but kept it where it is because there seemed to be more discussion beyond just the film. However, it seems that the main focus is on the film and the aftermath, so I have decided to move it to the appropriate forum.

But women who aren't interested in Star Wars aren't going to go see it now just because the main character is a woman. (Rogue One was awesome). Not sure about Trolls though. I saw that movie also. I mean was it and old franchise that DreamWorks wanted to revive? And mlp is different. It's specifically designed for girls..

I don't see it going anywhere until after season 8. We are getting S7 and the film, and I see Hasbro capitalizing on the film and pushing a S8 out to take advantage of the resurgence and possible increased popularity. After that, who knows what state it will be on, so I'll think about it at that time.

MLP will go on as long as it needs to IMO.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hasbro is a corporation whose sole purpose is to make money to sustain itself so it can keep making more money. They won't quit while they're ahead. So long as MLP makes them enough profit, they'll keep it alive.

• Brohoof 4

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hasbro is a corporation whose sole purpose is to make money to sustain itself so it can keep making more money. They won't quit while they're ahead. So long as MLP makes them enough profit, they'll keep it alive.

Bingo. I'm expecting it to eventually succumb to seasonal rot, unfortunately (no, I don't think it's started yet) and not to end until it's no longer profitable. Ending it after the movie (when the show will be in the public eye again) would be killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

But women who aren't interested in Star Wars aren't going to go see it now just because the main character is a woman. (Rogue One was awesome). Not sure about Trolls though. I saw that movie also. I mean was it and old franchise that DreamWorks wanted to revive? And mlp is different. It's specifically designed for girls..

That doesn't stop Disney's ad department from trying. They have ads marketed towards girls now too. Star Wars was always going to perform well regardless, mind you. Trolls is an interesting one because I never knew any girls who were into Trolls back when they were big. I only caught the tail end of that as I wasn't that old when other children's toys took over. I had one and its only real appeal was doing interesting things with its hair. It's still interesting to see it revived in some capacity, let alone marketed beyond its initial demographic.

While it's true that MLP has always been marketed towards girls, perceiving a strong enough market for girl's products could make a difference as to how aggressively this film is advertised and how much hope Hasbro has that it will move more toys. Sure, that was always the idea, but whether they think there's a strong market for their movie will determine a lot of things from how many theatres will show the movie as well as how many showings it will get, how much they spend on advertising the movie and how much they put into movie merch. More importantly for us fans, commercial success or lack thereof will probably factor into the decision to either keep the series going or end its run. Looking at other films and seeing confidence in the market demographic that the MLP movie will be targeted towards gives us reason for optimism.