movies/tv Duck Tales Reboot

9th Doctor Whooves

Duck Tales  

34 users have voted

1. 1. Are you going to check it out?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Does the fact that David Tennant is going to be in it influence your choice?

• Yes
    • No

When I first heard about the Duck Tales reboot I was a little skeptical, :scots:  I mean most reboots aren't (to put it nicely) very good or anything like the original. But today I found out something that makes me want to check it out :David Tennant has been cast as Scrooge McDuck! :love:  I know, this doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be good or like the original, but anything with the Tenth Doctor is worth checking out! :D  

I know I'm going to check it out, but what are your thoughts? :squee:

Here's the link to the original article: http://tennantnews.blogspot.com/2016/12/david-tennant-cast-as-scrooge-mcduck-in.html

• Brohoof 6

The original was a little before my time, so I didn't grow up watching it (or if I did watch it, then I was too young to remember). I did see some episodes in preparation for the reboot and it is pretty good. The announcement of David Tennant as Scrooge had no impact on my interest, as I don't watch Doctor Who. I was already planning on checking it out. What does give me more hope, though, is that the showrunners have said things that sound like they're trying to make something like the original.

Looks a hundred times better compared to the Powerpuff Girls hackjob remake. Not a Dr Who fan but if David Tennant is down for doing as many episodes as he can then good for him. They can cast all the name actors in their show as they want, if the show is good, I'll love it.

Also Webby actually looks adorable! Not like her original design.

• Brohoof 2

I loved the original show. I am skeptical they will recapture the fun the original show actually had during the original Disney afternoon... and a lot of their shows the last couple of years have just been plain damn awful... however if they manage, I could see myself watching it.

Just God help us if they use Mem's and intenrt culture to bie 'hip' with the generation..quck pack anyone *shiver*

I mean it coudl be good as long as itires to be it own thing and not be pouplar by using what is popular at the time. I mean don't get me wrong Duck tails reaks of 90's from the one girl chracter amoungst a male cast, to the cheesy one liners that are straight ofu of inspector gadget.

i'm not sure how nostalgic i am about it though.

The art style definitely has a lineage with the modern Mickey Mouse shorts in adapting classic designs for modern animation technology, although I wish the colors could be more vibrant. I'm surprised by the strength of the cast they got for this, not only David Tennant but also Kate Micucci (Lucy from The Big Bang Theory).

I was a bit young for the original DuckTales series, but I'll keep my eye on this one. Hopefully it means a revival of sorts for Disney TV animation, which has mostly lagged in the shadow of Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon for decades, especially since the end of Gravity Falls.

Edited by Fifty Grinches

So none of the surviving voice cast from the original version are coming back? It's going to be weird not hearing them provide the voices although one or two of them are now too old to even do those voices anymore--DuckTales: Re-mastered kind of reaffirmed this--but I suppose this is what Disney wanted to do. If the original theme is retained then I suppose that is good enough for me, but I do like it when the old cast comes back as they know what's expected as opposed to a new cast.

If Donald Duck appears in this reboot, Tony Anselmo must provide the voice, no exceptions.

The character models for everyone except Scrooge look weird but then I guess we can thank modernity for that.

That last line "...and not pony tales or cotton tales, no. Duck tales. *Woo-ooh* "

Are they taking a stab at MLP and Bugs Bunny? I mean, they were cartoons that were out during the air time of the original version of this show. And writers of shows are known for hiding things.

• 2 months later...
(edited)

The first preview is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LNgU4e1rE

It's also been renewed for second season.

http://www.animationscoop.com/new-clip-disney-xd-orders-second-season-of-ducktales-ahead-of-its-summer-premiere/

The nephews' voices are going to take some getting used to, but otherwise, I like it so far.

I do agree with you on the voices. This show, on the whole, really looks like the kind of kick in the ass TV animation as a whole needs amidst today's reality of declining ratings, the rise of digital, and fragmenting audiences. Frankly, I don't see a lot of people getting too excited about the other new cartoons coming up (except maybe Samurai Jack), but this show looks like a hit in the making, and I did see the trailer hit #3 trending on YouTube yesterday hours after its release. That's something everyone in the industry would definitely die for.

On the one hand, nostalgia sells and reboots are all the rage, therefore there is already a built-in audience. On top of that, this show looks to be setting itself apart from other reboots by relying on genuine effort rather than resting on its laurels and going the easy way like Sonic Boom or The Looney Tunes Show did, pandering to the young crowd like The Powerpuff Girls, or actively chasing away the older fanbase like Teen Titans Go. The art style definitely looks like it was devised by people coming from a background in comics who studied classical animation in-depth, and Disney definitely went out of their way to find the best talent they could for it. Then you add Disney's name on top of it. For a long time it looked like Disney treated their TV stuff as second-class behind their feature films, now it looks like at least one of their TV properties is getting the respect it deserves. This could pave the way for the next Gravity Falls or even be the next Gravity Falls. There's plenty of reason to be excited for it.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

You know, after what's happened To spyro, Devil May Cry, Teen Titans, PPG and Ben 10, I came to STRONGLY HATE reboots in general... but man I never thought I would have seen the day where I could have actually seen.... AN ACTUALLY GOOD REBOOT. Yes, I'm really looking forward to this.

Edited by Sly

While I am starting to get a little frustrated with all of these Disney cartoons getting season 2 renewals before their first season premieres even if I like the shows, such as Star vs getting a second season after it's sneak preview, and even shows that look promising like the Tangled series, I am willing to look past in this case, because even though I haven't seen the original Ducktales cartoon, this one looks like it is going to be a lot of fun, and just like the upcoming Big Hero 6 cartoon, I plan on checking it and maybe even following it.

With the upcoming Ducktales reboot, Big Hero 6 and Tangled cartoons, and Star vs the Forces of Evil, and Milo Murphy's law, it seems like Disney's tv animation is in a really great spot right now.

Just like how their animated movies have been lately.

Man, the 2010's have been absolutely great for Disney animation, and even just Disney in general.

As much as I typically dread what they might do in a reboot of old classic TV shows, I think I'd like to see Duck Tales come back. I like the original one okay, but I'm not so desperately in love with it that I would be injured if they took a few liberties. In this case, it might even help it a little. The original theme is necessary though. It's too much identified with the show, so it must stay. 

What I really want to see is the return of Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, as long as we're talking reboots of the Disney Afternoon shows. Rescue Rangers was easily the best of those. There was talk of a big screen adaptation of that but I think it's going to reside permanently in the "Maybe someday" file.  :pout:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I can’t wait for it. Webby is already a better character than the original, Donald Duck gets recognition as an adventurer and Scrooge rides a freaking dragon.

Edited by Odd Ball
  • Brohoof 2