Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sig-4769898.sig-4769898.DAYDREAMING_DERP

Part-timer Mom by Day... Dreamwalker By Night

OVERVIEW

Day Dreaming Derpy is a Paper Mario-inspired JRPG with an emphasis on the exploration of the Dream World and the interaction between Derpy and the residents of the Real World. While asleep, Derpy can use her abilities gained from her many part-time jobs to combat the nightmares that plague the dreams she explores along with the help of many unique, quirky characters. While awake, Derpy can prepare for her night-time ventures by working all around town to buy items and unlock new abilities she can use in the Dream World.

SYNOPSIS

Derpy's the kind of mom that has to work all kinds of jobs around town to make end's meet; she's usually the first one up and the last one to bed. Ask around town and they'll say she's a trooper- an easy breeze that'll brighten up your day.

sig-4769898.sig-4769898.normalderp_BLOG.

She's also the kind of mom that accidentally burns dinner during soup night. Ask around town again and they'll say she's a real twister- leaves nothing unscathed in her wake.

sig-4769898.sig-4769898.test_anim_BLOG.g

Ask again and it seems like there's something weird going on around town; something that's making everyone lose precious hours of sleep. And it looks like no one but Derpy can do anything about it.

Looks like the midnight shift just opened up...

FEATURES

• Over 10 unique allies!
  • Hi-Bit Pixel Art!
  • Paper-Mario-inspired RPG Gameplay Elements!
  • Mother-Daughter Bonding!
  • Strange Sense of Humor!
  • PONIES!!

SCREENSHOTS

sig-4769898.sig-4769898.tumblr_oe3kshKdMsig-4769898.sig-4769898.bttl_cap.pngsig-4769898.sig-4769898.tumblr_ogifd0CjMsig-4769898.sig-4769898.tumblr_ofqzbkOSU

DISCLAIMER

Day Dreaming Derpy is a My Little Pony fangame.
My Little Pony and its characters belong to their respective owners.

PROGRESS
COMEPLETED!
DONE, BABY!

PLAY IT HERE!

demo v0.1 released 1/15/17

demo v0.2 released 3/18/17

demo v0.3 released 6/7/17

demo v0.31 released 6/09/17

demo v0.32 released 6/14/17

demo v0.4 released 7/15/17

COMPLETE v1.0 released 1/16/18

COMPLETE patch v1.1 released 1/20/18

You can follow frequent development updates here and at DeviantArt | Tumblr | RPGmaker.net  | Bandcamp

Edited by horror_n_oates
update schedule info on post
  • Brohoof 13

Wow! This looks awesome! Let me know if I can help out anyway. I have experience editing written work and am a voice actress (though I am not sure if you need voice acting for this project). 

Edited by icyfire888
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Day Dreaming Derpy Dev Log #8

kj_by_sonicboy112-dau1k3h.gif

Happy New Years everyone!

Aside from performing the blood sacrifices to get the demo done and trying (and failing) at keeping the sickness at bay, I’ve been keeping the holiday spirit alive here at my end to varying degrees. So to greet ya’ll for the new year, here’s a list of things that are fully implemented or nearly completed.

- First “dungeon” implemented with dialogue and arc
- Title screen graphic completed (press start to continue)
- Second “dungeon” implemented
- Intro sequence completed
- Battler sprites and side-view battle system implemented
- Dreamworld Hub implemented(above)
   - I just realized the it looks a LOT like Yume Nikki’s hubworld. What with all the doors and all.
   - Imitation is best form of flattery @~@

Not exactly a large list, but that takes care of the majority of the demo! Things that remain to be done are the real world locations and polish on the already completed segments! In terms of the release of the demo, I’ll be working nonstop in the coming days to get this to you guys sometime this month.

Hopefully this ol’ body of mine can hold out until then o~o
Ya’ll have a good new year~!

• Brohoof 3

Day Dreaming Derpy Dev Log #8.5

eg_by_sonicboy112-dauw90e.gif

'Ey! What's good everyone? So I'm coming real close to wrapping things with the demo and just wanted to throw a small, half update in terms of how the game/demo will be maintained.

As this is the first time for me to not have a full, complete release for a project, I came to the realization that I'd have to get privy with the terms "alpha" and "ver. #" as, while the term "demo" is a complete package of meaning, it'd be best for me to refer to "Day Dreaming Derpy" as an evolving project.

For me, the goal of the demo is to provide a complete experience in terms of how the mechanics and the formula of the game will work within the beginning of the game to give the player a better understanding of what's to come when the full game is released.

Basic game dev talk aside, I'm polishing this bad boy up for shipment as we speak.

It's gonna happen guys @^@

Day Dreaming Derpy Dev Log #9

It's here! The DEMO for Day Dreaming Derpy is available!

Check it out here ===> https://rpgmaker.net/games/9424/

title_shot_by_sonicboy112-davlci7.png

Finally, after over three months of running headlong into a brick wall, I got something to show for it in the form of a demo that hopefully acquaints the player with the general formula of the game in the future. I hope that you'll enjoy what I've made for ya'll!

The following is DEMO v0.1, and is not the completed version of
Day Dreaming Derpy. As a result there may be bugs or gameplay
features not representative of the final product.

I just played it today, and I have to say that I am very impressed. Very cool idea, and rather well balanced considering how early it is in development.

I'm not sure what would be required, but I definitely would want to help make this a success, and I will definitely keep an eye out for updates.

Day Dreaming Derpy Dev Log #10 (Game Builds)

Phase 1 is complete! To say the response to the DEMO v0.1 was overwhelming would be an understatement because as far as releases go, this might be the one of the most well received! First thing's first though...

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO SHARED OR PLAYED DAY DREAMING DERPY!

I'm so glad that ya'll enjoyed the little I had to offer for the demo and I'm looking forward to further develop and polish this game for you all to enjoy in it's final form! But fear not, for those antsy enough not to wait for the full release, here's how the development builds are gonna go down!

The current version v0.1, while packed with everything I've worked on so far, does have some bugs and unintended events that couldn't be foreseen prior to release, so builds like v0.11 / v0.12 would be common enough to replace the current download at rpgmaker.net. Think of these like patches that fix minor things in the current version to make the experience/gameplay smoother. Upon testing, old save files do function as they should with these small tweaks added, so simply transferring your save file to the new game folder would work just as fine and you can continue playing from where you left off.

Future builds like v0.2 or v0.3 and so on will contain major additions to the game, these include new dreams, areas, characters, additions to the battle system, etc. Essentially, with each new build I will be working closer toward the complete product with v1.0 being the "content complete" status. Save files can be transferred to the new game folder in the same way, but I'd do so with caution as crashes may occur if large changes conflict with the save file's data.

Game dev mumbo jumbo aside, if you watch for any updates or announcements for a new build, you'd slowly play the entire(yet flawed) pre-release version of the game. It's like getting a steady stream of appetizers before the main course!

sefd_by_sonicboy112-daw3xey.gif

Of course, I'll still be releasing dev logs on how the game's going and my ramblings on game design and whatnot; I hope this entertains those of you interested in following the game's behind the scenes progress.

As for anyone who has volunteered their services to help with development, I would like to thank you for all the offers. I'm sort of one-man-army-ing this thing so any help is appreciated and I will send out another post if, and when I do need to draw upon your phenomenal cosmic powers~!

Again, I'd like to thank everyone who has made this release get as big as it did! And feel free to let know if there's anything you'd like to see from me or in the game!

Thanks, ya'll @^@

Day Dreaming Derpy Demo v0.11 patch

Put up a patch for the demo fixing a few issues since release. This should make it a smoother ride during certain parts.

Thanks guys.

** v0.11 fixes **
- Changed chances with stun effect
- Buffed Boss fights
- Fixed issue with lighting carrying over if use 'Wake Up' while lighting is off
- Fixed issue with keeping Moondancer if lose boss fight
- Added restore HP/MP after Post Office Job
- Moved furniture in Library, fixed touch conflict
- Fixed touch conflict in Mansion main room with Dinky and door
- Theatre #1 added ring SFX
- Remove key items after Dinky quest
- Fixed typos (most of them @^@)

• 2 weeks later...

Day Dreaming Derpy Dev Log #11 NEW UNIFORMS

For anyone who's played my previous works, you'd know that I'm fond of mechanics that change the way you look.

spk_comp_by_sonicboy112-daxwsed.png

Now I do admit, I like playing dress up when playing video games and often, character customization helps stir up new ideas for character designs. I'm especially a fan of variant designs on the same character, a good example of this would be character skins in games like Overwatch. It's actually an acceptable form of extra creativity that's generally accepted on the developer's part as character skins don't always have to stick exclusively to the canon or be "lore-friendly".

overwatch_how_to_overcome_junkenstein_dr

It's an interesting feature that, along with extra polish to really sell the character's new get-up, can make what's essentially a simple asset swap, feel like a new, fresh take on an old character. Now while this concept is generally considered extra content, this sentiment is at the core to Derpy's Uniform mechanic.

newcls_by_sonicboy112-daxwxd3.gif

Now, while the reason for all her uniforms make sense from a narrative perspective, it's my job as the designer/developer to instill the same sense of getting a different "flavor" on the same character, and tie together what is usually considered extra fun with design to the game's core elements.

And in development news, the sprites depicted above are new uniforms currently being implemented to the game. These can be obtained in real world, with each coming with their own workplace and new opportunities to earn bits. Currently in the base game, there are only two places to earn bits, the Post Office and with Trixie; by adding these new uniforms, the places where the player can earn bits would increase to 6, while the new combat styles from these uniforms changes to 7, including Derpy's starting class.

Going onward, next on the list would be the new dreams for v0.2 and what happens when you press the "Travel" button.

Thanks for your time, folks. And I look forward to presenting what I have planned for the month of love~

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Aww... I would have volunteered to provide music as well.

Still, it's probably for the best. Most of my time right now is spent trying to figure out how to put music into GBA roms. (I'm trying to get custom music into Ponymon Dusk/Dawn.)

Aww... I would have volunteered to provide music as well.

Still, it's probably for the best. Most of my time right now is spent trying to figure out how to put music into GBA roms. (I'm trying to get custom music into Ponymon Dusk/Dawn.)

It's cool, I'm always open for more volunteers in the same department. Any contribution would be immensely appreciated.

Also Imma have to look up Ponymon Dusk/Dawn, that sounds fun

• Brohoof 1

It's cool, I'm always open for more volunteers in the same department. Any contribution would be immensely appreciated.

Also Imma have to look up Ponymon Dusk/Dawn, that sounds fun

All right! Just let me know when/if you need any help.

In any case, I want to make sure that whatever I contribute matches the style of the other music that will be used in the game.

• 3 weeks later...

tumblr_omvlzkIoxp1sgusvgo1_540.gif

It’s about that time again!

Day Dreaming Derpy v0.2 The Sweetie Belle Update will be coming soon.

This update will feature 3 new Uniforms that Derpy can use, 2 more dreams to explore, and 1 Cutie Mark Crusader to accompany you in the Dream World!
How soon is it coming? Pretty soon…

It’s gonna happen guys ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /)

• Brohoof 1

Day Dreaming Derpy Demo v0.2 The Sweetie Belle Update is now available for download at rpgmaker.net!

tumblr_inline_on1vxmVBuW1s877hv_500.jpg

As mentioned before, the update contains new areas in both the real and dream worlds, 3 new uniforms/ styles of play, and plenty more.

===========TO PLAY, JUST DOWNLOAD THE NEW .ZIP FILE============

Use of save files from v0.11 and before are not guaranteed to function perfectly with v0.2. 

===============HOW TO ACCESS THE NEW DREAMS================

For those who have played v0.11 and before.

To directly access the new dream area, Once you get the Dreamworld for the first time(Sea of Clouds), talk to the owl on the bottom-left and receive the Update Balloon. Then talk to Dinky on the top of the area to get the “travel” option. The new area is on the top-left of the overworld map.
==============================================================

If there’s any bugs/glitches feel free to report to me here or on the other outlets!

Thanks guys~

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Day Dreaming Derpy Dev Log #13 Progress Report and FAQs~!

So v0.2 has came and went, and I’ve been really happy to hear your feedback since release. This is the first major content update, so expect future updates of a similar nature to go just the same as The Sweetie Belle Update, i.e. new dreams, characters, game balancing etc.

I also wanted to address some common problems I’ve noticed and try my best to remedy them here and in the game.

1) Old saves from the past versions crash the game.

There have been many reports of crashes when using the old saves from v0.1 or v0.11, usually when entering the shop menu. I’m going to try to not get too technical, but essentially I added what’s called a script to RPGmaker to modify how the shop screens look. I’m assuming that the old saves don’t have the meta-data for the assets needed for the script to function properly; and as a result, an error is thrown, stopping the game.

In common-speak, I had added a new feature that uses images not found in the save files from the previous versions. I understand that it must be less than ideal for those who have played since v0.1, to lose that progress just to create a new save to properly play the rest of the game, so I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this oversight.

On a positive note, the shop system is already fully implemented, thus issues like this shouldn’t be a problem in future patches (at least I hope so…).

2) Apparently the controls vary depending on your computer.

This has been an issue since release. In development, I usually use the standard RPGmaker [SPACE BAR] and [0] key arrangement for testing. After watching a few Lets Plays (Thanks guys!), I learned that arrangement isn’t the same for everyone, especially with ya’ll peeps with fancy custom keyboard settings and controllers. But so far, the [Z] and [X] key combo seems to work fine for everyone, so I’ll adjust the tutorial accordingly so it isn’t confusing when trying out the controls.

Also, if the controls aren’t to your liking, RPGmaker is nice enough to come with a command to open a menu to map out your preferred controller options. Neato right?

3) RPGmaker VX Ace doesn’t support widescreen, 16:9 aspect ratio (╯°□°)╯

Another tip taken from the Lets Plays, Day Dreaming Derpy’s aspect ratio is 640x480, which is the maximum for RPGmaker VX Ace, to my knowledge. This really makes a difference when it is put to fullscreen. Since stretching the screen only causes the pixel art to look a little too funky, I opted for the safer route to keep the integrity of the pixels.

4) VOLUNTEERS ARE STILL WELCOME!

While the Sweetie Belle Update was just one of the three major updates (only 2 more to go!) before actual release, there’s still more to take care of and I’m always taking volunteers! I’m mainly in need for SFX and music, but if there’s something else you’d like to contribute, just send me a message and I’ll try to get back to you! 

Now that I got ya’ll up to speed, plans are in the works for the next patch of a similar size. It’ll probably be easy to guess what’s coming next, in light of Sweetie Belle’s role in the Dreamworld.

But enough talk-

tumblr_inline_onno119kOV1s877hv_500.gif

There’s a game that needs to get made. ( ゚Д゚)

On December 19, 2016 at 2:52 PM, horror_n_oates said:

sig-4769898.sig-4769898.DAYDREAMING_DERP

Part-timer Mom by Day... Dreamwalker By Night

OVERVIEW

Day Dreaming Derpy is a Paper Mario-inspired JRPG with an emphasis on the exploration of the Dream World and the interaction between Derpy and the residents of the Real World. While asleep, Derpy can use her abilities gained from her many part-time jobs to combat the nightmares that plague the dreams she explores along with the help of many unique, quirky characters. While awake, Derpy can prepare for her night-time ventures by working all around town to buy items and unlock new abilities she can use in the Dream World.

Hmmm, sounds rather... familiar...

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

aplteaser.gif.a5e82c2adbbd4e9cd4a82c0af8a4e70e.gif

Here we go again~!

Day Dreaming Derpy v0.3 The Apple Bloom Update is currently under construction!

This Update will feature new Uniforms that Derpy can use during battle, more areas in the waking world, and 2 more dreams to explore with the crusader who started it all!

What does “under construction” mean?

That means soon-ish, but not too close, i.e. Imma holler when I get there.

And thanks for everyone who’s been downloading and playing the game so far, I really appreciate the support!

It’s gonna happen guys (# ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°#) /)

• Brohoof 2

Oooh it's soooooo well executed! :pinkie: 

This game sounds and looks absolutely great!
That's really impressive to make such a nice thing in Ace.

I'll definitely give it a try someday, great work! :)