Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the ponies?

LyraHeartstrings

I suspected they were teens and confirmed it at the season 2 finale cause in my mind the teen cadence was taking care of foal Twilight and Cadence is adult and Twilight a teen. Though I alwas though that all of them were the same age. Which episode was it that Fluttershy says she is a year older than pinkie ?

Fluttershy says she is a year older than pinkie in Season 1 Episode 5 Griffon the Brush off during the party Pinkie threw for Gilda

I suspected they were teens and confirmed it at the season 2 finale cause in my mind the teen cadence was taking care of foal Twilight and Cadence is adult and Twilight a teen. Though I alwas though that all of them were the same age. Which episode was it that Fluttershy says she is a year older than pinkie ?

Are there any other mentions of how old the ponies are in relation to each other ?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, ages of the ponies have been looked into already on these forums.

No, scratch that, we only have talked about the ages about the mane six.

In your personal thoughts, what age are some of the ponies? Such as, the CMC, Big Mac, Doodle Donkey, Cheerlie, Fancy Pants, Wonderbolts, the Cakes, Derpy...

You get the idea. Just give a list on what ages you believe the could be.

I see the mane six as around 16. They are old enough to care for themselves, but aren't exactly old enough to start families.

This thread us about all ponies BESIDES the mane six.

-------------

I have a feeling the CMC are around age 10 in human years.

The Wonderbolts seem pretty old. Maybe quite a few years older than Rainbow Dash.

• Brohoof 1

This thread us about all ponies BESIDES the mane six.

Oh, I'm so sorry! I can't believe I missed that...

I think that the CMC is around 10 years old, Big Mac is around 19 years old, I don't really know about the others though...

Well considering one human year is 4 horse years and they consider a filly to be a horse 4 years old or younger (in human years) so at max a filly could be 1-16 years of age. So the Cutie Mark Crusaders are probably between the ages of 10 and 16.

And I guess if you took the base idea that Applejack is at least 20 years of age, Big Mac has to be older than her but unlike the fillies, there isn't really anything to compare Big Mac to beside Applejack and Granny Smith, my guess is that he is between Applejack's age of 20 years old (horse years as I mentioned earlier) and Granny Smith's age of around late 90's (again in horse years, because the average life span of a horse in human years is 25 to 30 years which would be between 100 and 120 horse years). But that doesn't really narrow down Big Mac's age by much at all, but Cheerlie can be compared to him as well and based on Applejack's age, I could probably guess that Cheerlie would be in her late 20's early 30's (horse years) which would mean Big Mac would be right around that age zone as well.

The fact that the Ponies could have a different time measurement system could change what I said, but they seem to refer to younger ponies as fillies and If we look that up, it's a young horse under 4 years old, so that's the only base line other than the horse years and average lifespan I had to go on to yank this information instead of just guessing for the most part.

But the other ponies listed such as The Cakes, and Fancy Pants would have to be around Big Mac and Cheerlie's age while The Wonderbolts would have to be in their mid or late twenties as well as Derpy, but Doodle Donkey would be the hardest of them all to pin point a age for since Donkies have a much large lifespan than horses and wouldn't be in the same ballpark as the rest of the characters mentioned.

That's my take on their ages.

• Brohoof 1

This again... I'm still laughing at how people can really believe any of them are older than 15. Look at Cadence, Big Mac, and Shining Armor... If we were judging their growth by human years then the size difference between them wouldn't be there if they were 18-20...

They are 12-15 max...

Mayor Mare is a relatively elderly pony and she's the same size as the Mane Six. Unless a 13-year old has that voice and authority? >_>

You are all considering their age based off of standard in a human community. Sure, 18 in our society is considered of age and sufficient to live on one's own. How do you know their society is the same?

In a world where all of the danger present is usually confined to the everfree forest, I can see being one being able to live on their own the moment they graduate school. Realism should not be taken into too much account considering half of them have no sustainable income.

Oh and @ the size argument with age before me... Size does not equate to age. Big macintosh is large perhaps because he is just that. BIG. Alicorns have all shown themselves to be substantially larger than unicorns, pegasi, or earth ponies. Granny smith is very old and very small, and traditionally, male ponies are just a bit larger than female ponies anyway.

Edited by jwutheheadcase

I would love to say that the Mane 6 are 15 years old, but... Well, most of them have a job and live by themselves, so yeah... I'd guess around 20 years, or a little bit older. :|

I'm not considering any fact though, I'm just saying based on how they look to me.

Yeah, Equestrian laws and society are a lot different then ours. Also, the mane six don't really have the voices of an adult pony, and the things they do aren't really something an adult would do. And think about spike too. He's a baby dragon that can talk, and hang around with other dragons that are a lot older than him, so the shows take on age doesn't make sense. My guess is that the Mane six are around 12-14. You gotta remember this is a show for little girls, so they wouldn't put too much adults in, let alone make the main characters adults.

I would say they're between 13-19 i know thats a huge range but it seems appropriate for them. I think the way thy act, behave etc. definately a huge part telling their age. I hope soon that they will let us fans know their age so we bronies can identify them and has better fan fics based on the age

17-21

Pinkie Pie: 17

Fluttershy: 18

Twilight Sparkle: 18

Rainbow Dash: 18

AppleJack: 19

Rarity: 21

I was thinking about this a few days ago lol.

No one knows how old they are officially because no ages are ever mentioned on the show. They're also in a different world with different rules. They could still be children even if they own their own business and live by themselves because that's not unheard of in cartoons. Look at Ash from Pokemon. He's only 10 but he travels the world instead of going to school. Look at the Strawberry Shortcake characters. They all look like children but they live by themselves and own their own houses.

No one knows how old they are officially because no ages are ever mentioned on the show. They're also in a different world with different rules. They could still be children even if they own their own business and live by themselves because that's not unheard of in cartoons.

I like this answer. Sort of off topic how old is Granny Smith? I remember that it is mentioned that Granny Smith helped found Ponyville, I just watched Winter Wrap Up and Twilight mentions that for hundreds of years they haven’t used magic to wrap up winter, so how old could she be? :huh:

Assuming we are calculating in accordance to human years...

Twilight and Pinkie seem to be the youngest (also i find that they seem to be around each other more often then other mane 6 members), but still old enough to live on their own. Twilight being a student must make her slightly younger, though she is mature, she is a prodigy of the princess so they act mature quickly, so I say about 16, Pinkie likely the same age.

FLuttershy is a year older than Pinkie so 17, and Dashie being in her class probably makes her 17 as well

Rarity is a bit more mature and works a sole proprietorship so she is probably 20 at least.

Applejack I assume is the oldest since she has a bit of a leadership role in the group usually making most of the group decisions and working on the farm helping raise her younger sister and take care of her granny with Big Mac, so I assume 22.

As for lesser characters...

CMC are all probably the same age, I'm guessing about 9-12 since they are old enough to be out alone, but still are very dependant on older ponies and have yet to get a growth spurt.

Big Mac is older than Applejack so probably around 25.

Cheerilee is likely the same age as Applejack, working a job while still seeming fairly young a healthy

Shining Armor is likely around 25-28 since most married males I know got married around that age, and when Twi was a filly he was clearly close to if not fully grown as shown during the B.B.B.F.F song

Mr and Mrs Cake are probably are 30-33 since they are clearly the older than most main characters, but aren't that old, only having their first pair of children recently

Although he isn't a pony...I'm assuming Twi was about 8-10 when Celestia took her in. Since Spike was born that day, He is probably around 6-8

Im getting bored of this so that's enough...for now

Edited by weegeez

I personally think that they are 16-20 since they aren't fully grown adult but they aren't fillies.

Maybe the Wikipedia tells you how old they actually are.

Lauren Faust didn't give them a specific age for a reason.

They're ponies. They have completely different maturity from humans.

It's like my cat. She's probably almost 30 in cat years(it's that look in her eyes)... and sometimes that really shows... but other times she acts like a pampered 6 year old.

The ponies don't age like people. In my mind, they're probably 18-24, but can be mature as someone in their 30s(like Rarity can be) but also as temperamental as a 16 year-old(like Rarity can be) or as immature as an 8 year-old(like Rarity can be).

I'd put Shining Armor and Big Mac in their late 20s/early 30s. And they actually sort of act their age(Though I think Shining Armor sounds too young, and Big Mac plays with dolls lol)