Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the ponies?

LyraHeartstrings

Rarity > Applejack > Rainbow Dash = Twilight Sparkle > Fluttershy > Pinkie Pie

I usually judge age by how mature the mane 6 are and what they sound like as well

Edited by Danger Dashie
  • Brohoof 1

They appear to be in their early twenties. Many of them are independent, and are often almost like mother figures to the younger ponies. Still, they don't appear to be as old as the other ponies.

I would put most of them in their teens.

I could buy Rarity being maybe 18, but the others are probably around 15 to 16 (or 16 to 17, since Pinkie Pie's had a birthday since the show started). That would put Fluttershy at 16 or 17 (depending on the season).

Why do I say this? Because Rarity is the only pony that is clearly independent. She runs her own shop by herself, and though her parents occasionally show up, she doesn't live with them or any other ponies that are older than her.

You could argue that Twilight and Rainbow Dash don't appear to live with their parents, but what have we actually seen them do to make a living? Twlight lives in a library for free, and Rainbow Dash literally lives in the clouds, in a place where she seems to be able to get most things she needs for free. She has a house, but we don't know if she lives in it by herself or not (it seems awfully big for one pony, so she's either rich or doesn't live alone).

Being a student, Twilight likely gets money either from her parents or possibly directly from Celestia, who serves as a second mother to Twilight (or at the very least, a godmother).

Applejack lives with her older brother, and it's clear that the two work together on most things related to the farm and the business. It is still to this day common for 16 year olds to work part-time jobs, so this is still a realistic scenario. The fact that she doesn't live on her own, and the fact that Big Macintosh seems to be in charge (as Applejack indirectly stated in Episode 9) adds more weight to this theory.

Pinkie Pie lives with the Cakes and they don't seem to leave her in charge of things too often. So it's pretty obvious that she's around that age too.

Fluttershy clearly lives by herself (if you don't count the animals living with her), and clearly makes enough money to live on and feed all the little critters around her house (though I still think she probably has a little farm behind her house). The point is, as 'shy' as she is, she's clearly figured out how to make ends meet without too much difficulty.

Probably in their preteens, 11 maybe 12..... Im joking, THIS ISN'T POKEMON PEOPLE.

Twilight, 18 to 20

Rainbow Dash, 17 to 19

Pinkie Pie, 17 to 18

Fluttershy, 18 to 20

Applejack, 18 to 20

Rarity, 19 to 22

That's my guess, but I have no idea.

Edited by Flame Dancer

I'd say that the ages range from 17-24. Here's the order I'd say they are, from youngest to oldest:

• Pinkie Pie (17-19)
  • Rainbow Dash (18-19)
  • Twilight Sparkle (19-21)
  • Fluttershy (21-22)
  • Applejack (23)
  • Rarity (24)
seems legit to me I think we can all agree on the ages 16 - 25 Rarity does seem to be the oldest but Pinkie Pie no not the youngest It seems like rainbow dash and flutter shy would be youngest saying the immaturity of rainbow and the cowardness of flutter shy

Twilight is at the bottom because, despite all her intelligence, she's very innocent. Best example would be Boast Busters. She's so afraid of looking like a showoff that she decides not to do anything. Generally that's how younger people think before they do something.

Do you know Twilight's not the only pony to be afraid? Look at the episode Sonic Rainboom, Rainbow was really afraid of going on the preform in the best young flyer's competition because she might screw up, so she got scared because the bullies at the flight camp she was in were making fun of her when she entered the competition and because of the butterfly wings from Rarity.

And look at The Last Roundup episode, Applejack was really afraid of coming home to her friends and family because all she won in the rodeo competition was every color ribbon but blue, and no prize money; so she was acting scared over a extremely tiny thing.

Edited by Danger Dashie

I'd say:

Pinkie Pie: 18

Rainbowdash: 19

Fluttershy: 19

Twilight: 20

AppleJack: 22

Rarity: 22

Pinkie Pie is the most childlike of the group, but lives on her own, so I put her as the youngest at 18. Fluttershy is confirmed to be a year older than Pinkie, so that would make her 20. Dash and Fluttershy where in the same grade, so they're probably the same age, but fluttershy seems a bit more mature, so she's probably the older of the two, by atleast a few months.

Twilight certainly seems to be more mature than most of the other ponies, but she also seems to have a bit of naivety to her for some reason. 20 seems appropriate.

I'd say that AppleJack and Rarity are definitely older than the rest. I feel that they are both the more independent and mature ones of the group.

As fillies they all look kind of similar in age except for Fluttershy, she looks a little older than the others in Season 1, Episode 23, The Cutie Mark Chronicles. But my order from Oldest to Youngest is Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle & Pinkie Pie

• 2 weeks later...

I still think they are around 13 years old. Just because they live on their own and own a business doesn't neccesarily mean they are older. In Equestria, they have a different way of life, so I guess ponies can do that kind of stuff at a young age. Plus, they look like their around 13 years old anyways.

I think Rarity would be the oldest, (maybe 14) because she is a bit more mature (well, you know what I mean) and knows a lot about everything.

I agree with you on part of that. They may have different rules and traditions on coming of passage and such.

Though My Age Guesses would Be:

Rarity: 10 born January 2

Applejack: 10 born March 14

Rainbow Dash: 10 born April 1 (April Fools)

Pinkie Pie: 10 born April 1 (but later in the day)

Twilight Sparkle: 10 born June 12

Fluttershy: 10 born July 25 (My B-Day)

More contary to pop. belief. I think Rarity would be most mature body wise, not Fluttershy.

Yeah, Equestrian laws and society are a lot different then ours. Also, the mane six don't really have the voices of an adult pony, and the things they do aren't really something an adult would do. And think about spike too. He's a baby dragon that can talk, and hang around with other dragons that are a lot older than him, so the shows take on age doesn't make sense. My guess is that the Mane six are around 12-14. You gotta remember this is a show for little girls, so they wouldn't put too much adults in, let alone make the main characters adults.

Amen brother. I agree similar to that. Though in complete honesty. Everyone...I mean everypony has their own opinions. We should respect them, but Its nice to consider possibilities.

This is from a post I did on the age of Derpy:

I think Rarity and Applejack are the oldest because they own their own buisness. I think Pinkie Pie is the youngest because she still boards with the cakes. Fluttershy says she's a year older than Pinkie Pie. In the cutie mark episode, filly Fluttershy is bigger than filly Rainbow Dash. I think Fluttershy was held back a year in flight school. So that makes Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash about the same age. So I'm going to guess it's something like this:

Applejack-19

Rarity-19

Twilight- 18-19

Fluttershy-17

Rainbow Dash-16-17

Pinkie Pie-16

Derpy-22-25

I also agree that Derpy is time traveling with Doctor Whooves.

I also think the CMC are 8-12 years old

It seem about right to me. Also, I think Big Mac is about 20 or 21 years old. Not much older then Applejack.

So nobody ever thought Twilight Sparkle is more of a graduate student? She seems like a graduate student if she's studying under someone as prestigious as Celestia and possibly becoming her successor at least in magic and the fact that she doesn't even go to school but does her own independent studies on her own that even strengthens the fact that she's more of a grad student then an undergrad or a high school student. If she's a graduate student she would be around ages 21-25 more so. Unless she was the oldest that kind of questions how old they really are. I would think that their ages are closer to one another. I would think being a mare would mean they would have gone over the 21 years age as a mare is an adult and a philly is a kid.

Second of all remember Rainbow Dash and Glinda? They act like they were part of a high school sports team ages ago and Rainbow Dash no longer is a school athlete but trains on her own to become a Thunderbolt and maintains a job clearing up the sky. I would say once again that would tail up closer to 18-23ish if Rainbow Dash didn't go to college. I'm assuming the Thunderbolts is more of a pro-team instead of a college team as well.

Pinkie Pie however is the biggest contradiction however. Her parties seem very youthful reaching to a more teenager to children theme but I'm guessing that's because the show is for children and they can't show alcohol on a kid's show. And why is she such a contradiction, because she is only one year younger than Fluttershy instead of 3-5 or so difference.

Rarity got her own personal and professional legitimate business that would make her closer to the 23-25 range as well.

So in a nutshell this is what I think.

Twilight Sparkle (21-23): Grad student for Celestia. Her thesis is on Friendship

Applejack (21-23): Acts most mature. Seems to be most buddy buddy with Twilight as well.

Rainbow Dash (18-23): Recalls previous high school sports team.

Rarity (23-25): Has her own professional business

Fluttershy (18-23): Because she was in same class in flight school as Rainbow Dash

Pinkie Pie (17-22): One year younger than Fluttershy

Edited by poniesforfun
  • Brohoof 1

I know I've said it before, but in my humble opinion, Fluttershy and Rarity are the oldest of this group. Rarity was in Cherilee's class if a cutie mark flashback cameo counts as canon.

Fluttershy and Rainbow, on the other hand, don't need to be the same age. They were in the same flight camp, not class, and that can encompass an age range.

I always felt like they were between eighteen and twenty. I don't know they just seem to be old enough to be "legal" in people terms but young enough that they haven't been legal for very long.

I imagined them to be 18 to 20. They seem old enough to be "legal" by our terms but not so old that they have been on their own for very long or anything. Also Twilight seems like she is kind of in college or something. I dunno those were just my thoughts.

honestly, I think Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack are all around the same age, I'm thinking around 18.

Fluttershy on the other hoof, probably around 19, because she looked older in the cutie mark chronicles episode, making her the oldest of the mane 6.

their all about adults id say

Twilight- 18

Applejack- 19

Pinkie-17

Fluttershy- 21

Rainbow dash-18

Rariety- 20

i think fluttershy is the oldest because she looks the biggest during the cutie chronicles and pinkies the youngest due to the fact fluttershy says shes older then pinkie and filly twilight and pinkie seem smaller then the rest of them

Edited by CaptainLuna

You ever notice how Bronies all think they're 18-25 and most kids think they're teenagers? Gee, I wonder why...

I'd put them in the range of 14 to 15 actually (maybe 16 tops). I just couldn't see characters that are over 20 having to write letters to the Princess about what they learned about friendship.

Unless you go the immortality route. Then they could theoretically be in the 100-200 range.

You still write letters to your college professors.... and Friendship is obviously Twilight's major. You do know there is philosophy majors that focus on things you thought weren't "adult" like love? Something something greek philosophers have been studying about for centuries.

In Twilight's case it was how she presented her progress on her studies. And I think it's pretty heavy to send a 14 year olds out to host a wedding or save an empire.

Edited by poniesforfun

• 1 month later...

Well, one of the question's I've been asking myself is how old are the pony's?

Do you think they follow the same life cycle as humans? I would have thought in human terms the mane 6 would be early 30's, maybe with Dashy, Fluttershy & Pinkiepie being younger? 

I would guess the younger pony's age range is about 8 - 14ish?

Also, did mine eyes deceive me or is Celestia older than granny smith?  

Any thoughts? 800px-Granny_Smith_Apple_Bloom_hug_S2E12

Edited by wartorious
  • Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure the Mane 6 are young adults like about in their 20's and the CMC are well about 6ish.

I really think that's the correct age, because its 200% cooler.

Well I guess it all depends on what system of aging your using.

If you wanna use it in terms of human years, then I'd assume that they're young adults basically. Thats my assumption atleast.

However technically speaking I'm pretty sure that a Mare starts at about 4-5? And Fillies are 4 and under. So that might end up at a different age.

I've always thought of them as around young adults, so like a little under 20. All we know about age though really that is confirmed is Pinkie being 1 year younger then Fluttershy(Because of Fluttershy's remark of"I'm a year older then you" In "Griffion the Brush Off"

Hmm, well I don't think Celestia body shows her age, but she's in the Thousands of years old, so yep, older than Granny Smith :)

CMC have gotta be, like ditzy said, around 8ish, from their behaviour and attitude.

The mane 6 is a tad more confusing to me. They (mostly) live on their own with no guardians, so we can assume they are over 18. But...for some reason, it doesn't seem right giving them an age - no age I think of seems to fit...can't explain why.

Well, here are a few things to consider.

- Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie Pie according to Griffon The Brush Off.
- Pinkie Pie lives with "parents" Mr and Mrs Cake, so she must be pretty young.

- Rarity has her own business, so she's most likely one of the oldest.

Imagining their duty/responsibility ages to equate to human ages, I'd imagine it to go something like this:

Pinkie Pie: 16
Fluttershy: 17
Rainbow and Twilight: 18
Applejack: 19
Rarity: 20

• Brohoof 3

Celestia and Luna have been alive for millennia, but they're basically gods so they don't really age or anything. Twilight is sort of like the equivalent of a college student, so probably around twenty, and the rest of the mane six are probably about the same, with Rarity and Applejack maybe being a bit older since they run their own buisnesses. The CMC are probably about around ten years old, I guess. They would most likely be prepubescent because getting your cutie mark is probably a part of puberty, to the extent that ponies go through puberty at all anyway.