Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the ponies?

LyraHeartstrings

Well, I'd estimate the average age for getting cutie marks is about 12 or 13. So assuming the mane 6 were ~13 (maybe Pinkie was 12? Although Fluttershy was more tall and gangly than the rest, so she could have been 14), and Spike is maybe 9 at the beginning of the series... that makes the adults ~22 at the beginning. Assuming about two years have passed so far, and the CMC are on the later end of average for cutie marks now, that makes the ages at present:

Adults, 24 (either 23 for Pinkie, or 25 for Fluttershy)

Spike: 11

CMC: 13

That does still leave an 11 year age gap between Applejack/Rarity and Apple Bloom/Sweetie Belle, but the only way to reduce that is by reducing Spike's age, which is already toward the low end for how mature he is.

The cartoon is deliberately vague about the ponies' actual ages. When asked how old they were, Lauren would only give an age range, never an exact number. The cartoon does give us clues about how old they are relative to each other.

Applejack. In an attempt to reassure Apple Bloom that she'll get her cutie mark someday, she unwittingly let on that EVERYBODY in the Apple family got their cutie marks relatively late. Applejack's maturity and business sense seem to support the fact that she is an older pony.

Fluttershy. She's a late bloomer and she was already going through a growth spurt when she got her cutie mark. Everyone else still had their prepubescent cuteness which could make Fluttershy the oldest Mane 6 pony.

Pinkie Pie. She's a year younger than Fluttershy. That's all we know.

Rainbow Dash. She was the first filly in her class to get a cutie mark. She may be the youngest M6 pony.

Rarity. She told the CMCs she wondered “for the longest time” why she didn't have her cutie mark. She also owned her own shop since the very first episode. She's also about the same age as Cheerilee if her cameo in Cutie Mark Chronicles is gospel.  Rarity is one of the older M6 ponies.

Twilight. No hints about her relative age have been given.

This is my educated guess of how the Mane 6 rank from oldest to youngest.

Fluttershy

Rarity

Applejack

Pinkie Pie

Twilight

Rainbow Dash

Edited by Wingnut

Well, I believe it's official that they are all somewhere over 20, simply put the "young adult" category. Didn't Faust actually say that long time ago?

Other than that, I always perceived AJ to be the oldest one. I'd put her close to 30 actually. Both because of how she behaves and some of the more elaborate speculations about her, her family and especially her parents. 

After AJ I'd probably put Rarity, mostly because she seems to be too accomplished in her field to be "just barely out of teens".

After that, I really don't know, I'd put the rest in the same age category +- year or two

I always perceived AJ to be the oldest one. I'd put her close to 30 actually.

AJ would be a logical choice for oldest pony too.  But there's no way she's in her upper 20s.  AJ was roughly Apple Bloom's age when their parents died.  Therefore AJ can't be more than about twice AB's age which is somewhere around 10-12. 

Snip

Your thread has been merged with an already existing thread that serves the same purpose. Please use the search function to check if a suitable thread exists before creating your own.

Oldest is Fluttershy, since she was probably held back a grade in flight school due to her weak wings. About 24/25, I should think.

Twilight would be next oldest. Around 23/24?

Then Rarity, or Applejack, they're both probably around the same age. 22/23?

Rainbow and Pinkie are probably the youngest, maybe even RD because of her wing strength, maybe she got to skip a grade in flight school. 21

pinkie might be either the youngest or second-youngest, due to her behaviour, but maybe that's just Pinkie Pie. 20?
Spike is probably a few years younger, not as young as the CMC, but maybe not much younger than the Mane 6. I'm guessing he's around 14-16?

The CMC are probably 10-13, maybe a bit younger.

I'll go ahead and put them in the order I believe:

1. Fluttershy. I mostly believe that she is the oldest because of her longer legs in The Cutie Mark Chronicles. Faust has stated that it probably has to do with a weird phase Fluttershy went through, which is another reason she was always teased. This might be true, but the fact that Fluttershy said she's a year older than Pinkie Pie also makes me think she's among the oldest in the group.

*2. Rarity. She's shown that she's well-educated and sophisticated, and she's one of the more mature and understanding members of the group.

*3. Applejack. She's probably the most mature member of the group, and maturity usually goes with the older characters.

4. Twilight Sparkle. Being the main character of the show and the leader of the pack, I think being somewhere in the middle in age would make sense.

5. Rainbow Dash. She's one of the younger members because she's still quite immature and mischievous at times.

6. Pinkie Pie. She's incredibly childish, and we know she's a year younger than Fluttershy. I think Pinkie being the youngest member is easy to picture and understand.

So I basically agree with DigiBrony's order, but I'm not sure if I would call them teenagers, or at least, not 15. That seems too young in my opinion.

* I have a hard time deciding who is older between Applejack and Rarity. When I look at Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, I can't help but picture Apple Bloom being older than Sweetie, so I can easily see AJ being older than Rarity as well. Also, if you listen closely to Applejack at the end of Sonic Rainboom when Rarity apologizes for her behavior, you can hear Applejack call her "kiddo." Kiddo can be used as a familiar form of address, but it definitely is more commonly used to describe someone younger.

I believe in order of Youngest to oldest:laugh.png Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy. And I agree on the late teens to early twenties for their ages. Maybe like this: Pinkie-- 16-17 RD-- 18 Twilight-- 19 AJ--19-20 Rarity-- 20-21 and Fluttershy-- 21-22wink.png

Just my opinion, but I guess they probably won't explain the ages that much, other than Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie, which for some reason, makes no sense to me, seeing as Pinkie acts much more immature than her, and that there must be a bigger age difference... blink.png

I've made an estimate in the past, though I don't see the problem in doing it again. 

From youngest to oldest:

Twilight Sparkle: 18 -She's the student, so I've always imagined her as the youngest. I don't know what it is, but she always seemed the most youthful. 

Pinkie Pie: 19- I feel as if she is a bit older than Twilight, but she still seems to be quite immature. 

Fluttershy: 20- It's cannon that Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie Pie. 

Rainbow Dash: 20/21- She would most likely be around the same age as Fluttershy, considering they went to flight school together. In my headcannon she's a tiny bit older though tongue.png

Applejack: 22/23- She seems a lot more mature than most of the others. She serves as the sort of mother figure to applebloom, even though she is her sister. 

Rarity: 23/25- I figure Rarity would be the oldest, considering she is a business owner tongue.png

Edited by ~Lawful Jordo~

They're not supposed to 'have' ages, because that's how abstract cartoon characters work.

The question is; how do their characters translate into modern society? People who all have full-time jobs and/or are engaged in careers would be in their early 20's at youngest. So that's where I pin them.

It's really easy to think of Rarity as the oldest, on account that she's voiced by a 50-something year old. So what I do during Rarity scenes is try to imagine that she's a young woman trying to sound mature, that helps get me in the right frame of mind. Because practically, she's no older than the other five.

(edited)

For the Mane 6, Spike, CMCs, and the other ponies' actual ages, I think we had to wait until the episode where a pony asks them how old they are, maybe part of a registration or events depending on age group.

Edited by UhcakipMystery

Hmm, I've been thinking about this. They very mature in some ways. Well, here is my opinion on their ages. Oldest to youngest.

Fluttershy: Even though being weak and timid, she is the the oldest. She had tall legs back then so that must mean something. 26

Pinkie Pie: Since we all know she is a year younger than Fluttershy, she is in the next rank. 25

AJ: She is a very mature mare. She did get her cutiemark late, which means she wasn't a rusher. Which is the smart thing to do. This is why she deserves the next rank. 25

Twilight: A bookworm and know it all(literally) would be the next. She has some sense. She doesn't do stupid things. She is the next. 24

Rarity: A proper lady indeed. She is a very bright designer who is mature. She next. 24

Rainbow: I know Pinkie would be here but she is not. Rainbow is not very mature. She is a wanna be and tries to rush on somethings. She did show maturity on the episode Wonderbolts Academy though. She comes last. 23

CMC and Spike

Spike: 17

Apple Bloom:15

Sweetie Belle:14

Scootaloo:14

always got the feeling that Twilight's the youngest and Applejack's the oldest

I have a feeling Pinkie is as mature as it's possible for her to get, so I don't see how you can get her age besides Fluttershy-1, she could be anywhere from 13 to 30

cutie mark chronicles had young Fluttershy fairly larger than young RD as well

that episode also had Rarity making costumes for a crappy school show at the same time RD was pulling off one of the most difficult flying moves ever

so I'm going to guess Rarity's younger then both of them.

My guess is Applejack (25) > Fluttershy (22) > Pinkie Pie (21) > Rainbow Dash (19) > Rarity (18) > Twilight Sparkle (17)

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Fluttershy is the eldest at 18, as when they all get their cutie marks she looks quite a bit older than the other 5, which would make Pinkie 17, because in the episode Griffin The Brush Off Fluttershy tells Pinkie that she's a year older than her. I would then say Rarity is 17 and a half, one because she has her own business and two because she's roughly the same sort of age as Fluttershy and Cheerilee. I would then put Apple Jack at around 16, she's only helping with the whole families business which Big Mac runs, and plus she still seems to be learning, especially when her pride gets in her way. RD is probably older than Twilight, because Twilight is still studying, at 14/15. Last is Twilight who I would put last at about 12/13, because she still seems very unsure about things and is still in the process of learning.

My last thoughts are this:

Fluttershy (18), Rarity (17 and a half), Pinkie Pie (17), Apple Jack (16), Rainbow Dash (14/15) and finally Twilight (12/13).

Edited by Twilight Girl

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I read through the 19 pages of comments in this thread, 'cause I didn't. I am however going to shamelessly give my take on this question, which may or may not have already been given by somepony else.

Applejack: "Ah, shoot. I was just a little filly. Even littler than 'yall"

Alright, so this obviously tells ut that "Flashbackjack" was younger than the present day CMC, including Apple Bloom.
But wait, speaking of Apple Bloom, where is she? When young Applejack leaves the farm, she is nowhere to be seen, and neither are the parents that would be neccesary for her to be born later. In my mind, the logical conclution here would be that Apple Bloom has already been born, and is simply too young to be present with the family. I'd say a year, possibly younger.

This means that the timespan between the story and the present is roughly the same as Apple Bloom's age. Give or take a year, we get this approximate: AJ-AB<AB, or AJ<2AB

Now in English that would mean that Applejack is rougly Twice Apple Bloom's age possibly a year or two younger than that, depending on how much younger than Apple Bloom "young Applejack" looks.

If Apple Bloom is 10-13 years old, for example, Applejack would be 18-25. This is what makes the most sense to me in the context of the show and the characters. I realize of course that this does not conflict with the already established concencus of the forum, but it's always nice to have some hard facts to back this stuff up.

Besides, using the established math, I can conclude that Spike and the CMC is roughly the same age, as his birth is in fact shown in the flashback itself.

As for the others... I'd say Fluttershy is the oldest, at about the same age as Big Mac. This is purely based on them being about the same size in the flashback.

My opinion on age does not really differ from others' but:
Fluttershy(23)>Pinkie(22)>Applejack(22)>Rarity(21)>Twilight(20)>Rainbow Dash(19)

Edited by Nerdwegian

I doubt they're quite in their 20s yet...

I'd say they're about 17 at the OLDEST.

Besides, if the Mane 6 were in their 20s, then most ponies would think the CMC are teens, and that just makes no sense.

That's my opinion.

I've been trying to figure this out since i've been watching MLP.
Probably a stupid question...but just really curious.

How old must the Mane Six be at least?

I always thought that fillies and young colts were grade school age around 5-10, the mane 6 will be around my age, 15 or 16 and the older characters such as Nig Mac and Shining Armor for example are probably 18 or any young adult age.

I always thought the mane 6 were my age :) t would be so awesome if they were but I do get why you guys think that they're much older ;)

(edited)

Well, they've all obviously got childish traits, but I think they're all young adults, mostly teens, perhaps early twenties. i like to think of them all young, of course. The most mature ponies would be Rarity and Applejack, which is funny because when the two argue they're like a pair of five-year-olds! Fluttershy is also very mature and polite, but she is still timid, and these aren't common for successful adults. Twilight Sparkle, I think, tries to act grown-up and organised, which yes, she does succeed, but she does have her crazy moments... I think the youngest ties between Pinkie and Dashie. They're both loud, confident, pranksters, adventurous... The list goes on. Should I mention Pinkie is the only one who can actually keep up with Dashie's to, despite being an earth pony? (Griffon the Brush-Off, Party of One) Pinkie is childish and giggly, bursting with energy, and Dashie is bold, head-high with strong dreams and clear intentions. They're the fun, young ones to me.

Edited by Meadowsong
  • Brohoof 1

I don't really know their ages at all. huh.png  I would usually think they are in their 20s, since they got their cutie marks as young fillies. Either way, they are pretty split up in the age department.

I think they are in their early to mid 20's, with Applejack and Rarity being the oldest.  Why?  With the exception of Pinkie Pie, they all live in their own house, and since their social system is not like ours, they must not have the need for continuing education (i.e. college).  They all must own their own homes, with the exception of Twilight Sparkle (who lives in the library because of Celestia) .and Applejack (who shares the farm with her family).  Pinkie Pie does seem to be the youngest of the group (her spunk and eccentric-ness is akin to youth, and it's been stated she's a year younger than Fluttershy), but I personally think there is so much more to Pinkie than what meets the eye, and that her uncanny knowledge says she knows more than she lets on.  Whether it be her life experiences between living on her family rock farm and living with the Cakes, Pinkie she has seen more than what it seems. I think Twilight is the youngest out of the Mane 6 personally...

The question itself, of course, opens up a whole can of worms of its own, as far as meta analysis is concerned. How long is a year in the world of MLP compared to our own? If a year is about the same, then are the ponies subject to the same 30-year lifespan that actual horses are? And if so, should their ages be scaled in terms of "horse years" vs. actual years, wherein a pony who'd be equivalent to a 30-year-old human is 30 in "horse years" but only 12 in actual years?

This whole thing makes my brain itch... blink.png

But assuming all this scaling has been taken into consideration here, I'd say the Mane 6 are at least all equivalent to human adults, no younger than 18, but more likely in their early 20s. I base this off of the behavior of foals such as the CMC, who strike me as being no younger than 6 and no older than 10. Considering these fillies are so much smaller in stature than their older sisters, I'd say there's at least a decade and a half of growth before they match their sisters' size, so...yeah, everypony's speculation of early 20s seems legit to me.

If Diamond Tiara had a cuteciniera, that means that the fillies could be 15 (probably not), which could put the mane 6 at later 20s (25-28)