Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the ponies?

LyraHeartstrings

Well, I think Lauren Faust said that Spike was like 8 years old so it depends on how old you think they are in "Cutie Mark Chronicles"  In which I think they are meant to have about 8 or 9 years old. And I also think Fluttershy is meant to be the oldest. So they are probably 17 or something like that. 

Really the best explanation I have seen so far is a video from Digibrony. So I recomend you see that.

I'd put mane7 to 13-17. In fictional world, responsibility doesn't necessarily mean maturity, but that's just my own belief. Here's my list (with birthdays):

Pinkie Pie-01.03.2000

Rainbow Dash-10.09.1999

Fluttershy-14.11.1998

Derpy-29.12.1997

Twi-17.03.1997

Applejack-08.06.1996

Rarity-25.02.1996

To everyone who's going to argue about Derpy's 15 years according to Dinky: Dinky isn't biological daughter of Derpy at all, because she's an unicorn. She's likely adopted.

CMC, I think, are no older than 9:

Scootaloo-30.11.2003

Apple Bloom-28.05.2004

Sweetie Belle-19.11.2004

Babs Seed-07.01.2005

Dinky-03.05.2007 (adopted 07.04.2008)

The older ponies:

Big Mac-1985

Mayor Mare-1964

Mr&Mrs Cake-late 1970's

Shining Armor-1982

Fancy Pants-1977

Oh, and Granny Smith is pretty damn old. 1920's

That's my belief, you don't have to agree with me.

My theory on this:

Rarity>Applejack>Twilight>Fluttershy>Pinkie=Rainbow

I also think that Rarity is about 24, Applejack is about 23, Twilight is about 21, Fluttershy is about 20, and Rainbow and Pinkie are about 19.

Personally when i think about the ages i think it's more a long these lines.  Pinkie pie is rather small, and i can't really imagine the ages of the mane six are that far a part.  They all seem rather close in age to me.  

Fluttershy > Rarity > Applejack > Twilight Sparkle > Rainbow Dash > Pinkie Pie

• 2 weeks later...

Even though they live mostly on their own (Rarity even owns business), I doubt they're old enough to start families. (Derpy's family isn't really a family)

If they're about 20, we should be in late 2010s-early 2020s, shouldn't we?

I think they're all very close in age, 1-2 years difference between them all. I agree with most that Rarity is the oldest. For me Applejack has to be the next oldest... She got her cutie-mark rather late so she must've been one of the oldest to get it. As well, she was coming back to be on the farm when she got it which it a step older than RD and Fluttershy in flight school and Twilight trying to be accepted into school. I don't see Fluttershy's size as an indication that she's older than RD. I think she just grew awkwardly and that helps explain why she couldn't fly so well while RD was small and agile. I have to put Fluttershy as older than Pinkie and since I believe RD and Fluttershy to be less than a year difference, RD is also older than Pinkie. And Pinkie is justinkie, I dont think shes younger just because she lives with others... My final order:

Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle

• Brohoof 1

Well, EQG is kind of a dead ringer isn't it?

I'd place Flutters as the oldest at 17, with the rest trailing behind around the 15,16 mark? That's the only construsion I can make from the EQG movie, unless Twilight gets younger.

I'd put Twilight as the youngest though, as I've always thought of her maturity as more 'learned' than experience.

Rainbow Dash-19

Twilight Sparkle-20

Pinkie Pie-20

Fluttershy-21

Applejack-22

Rarity-22

That's my personal head canon. Not sure why I list Dash as the youngest. Maybe it's the cracky voice.

• 2 weeks later...

At EQLA, the answer to this question from the voice actors went something like this:

Andrea: I don't really think they have an age. (Went into the philosophy of the characters being ageless.)

Tabitha: I'd say 1000s of years old. (Went into the philosophy of the characters being ageless.)

Cathy: Spike's eight. [flatly] (Perfect delivery from Cathy. We laughed.)

In my opinion I think that all the pony's are in the late teens and early adulthood

(all these guesses are in the pony year assuming that the avrege lifespan is 90 years)

Twilight Sparkle: 21 (decent age to become a princess)

Applejack: 23 (did not hurry to get cutie mark)

Rainbow Dash: 17 (fangirl of the wonder bolts typical behavior for teens not to mention super athletic)

Pinky Pie: 15 (Super imiture and party focused)

Fluttershy: 24 (very mature and focused)

Rarity: 22 (very concentrated and mature)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Non- main 6

Spike: 10 (still a baby in dragon terms and making twi' 11 when he was hatched)

Cutie mark crusaders: All 2-3 yrs old

Oh. I forgot some others

(all in relation to pony years assuming the average life span is 90 years)

Princess Cadence: 32

Princess Celesta: 40

Princess Luna: 35

Shinning Armor: 33

<>-<>Fun fact I calculated that rainbow dash (when doing a sonic rainboom) before the sonic rainboom reaches mach 5 (five times the speed of sound) and as soon as the rainboom happens he instantaneously goes to mach 10<>-<> 

I'd say they are all roughly 19-21 years old. Admittedly I base this on no real evidence but it just seems like the age range that makes the most sense in my opinion.

I'm thinking;

Fluttershy: 23

Pinkie Pie: 22

Rarity: 21

Apple Jack: 21

Twilight: 19

Rainbow Dash: 19

I just feel as thought Rarity and AJ would be the exact same age for some reason, and 19 just seems like the best age for Twi Twi.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the order (oldest to youngest) is this: Fluttershy > Applejack > Rarity > Twilight > Pinkie > Rainbow

I think they're all within 1 or 2 years so probably 17-18, maybe 19.  If anypony disagrees, that's cool.

(edited)

Princess Celesta: 40

Twilight: And how long have you been 40?

Celestia: ...a while.

post-9686-0-97128300-1371500314_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help it laugh.png Celestia is over 1000 years old according to the Nightmare Moon legend, and has been shown looking the same as always when Granny Smith was a filly. Luna is a bit more questionable, since we don't know how old she was at the time of her banishing, and whether she was fully conscious in the meantime.

At least if Equestria Girls is taken as direct evidence of ages, then the mane 6 are probably 17-18, which seems quite young to me. But if Cathy says Spike is 8, I guess it makes sense. He doesn't seem much younger than the CMC, so if they're maybe 10, and Twilight was 10 as well when she got her cutie mark and hatched Spike, that works out.

But I still prefer CMC 12-13 as of S3, and mane 6 at least 20.

Edited by dekutree64

Let's just put it this way, the Mane 6 are mature enough to handle adult situations, but most of them aren't old enough to actually get themselves involved in a lot of adult situation. I'd also say plus 1-3 years for Fluttershy and maybe Applejack. Fluttershy since she's stated to be a year older than Pinkie Pie in the show and Applejack with her responsibilities its reasonable to suggest she may be older than the others. There's also the age comparison between her and her brother and the fact that he's perfectly fine going out with Cheerilee who definitely is older than the Mane 6. Rarity could also easily be an older character too considering her business management, responsibilities like living all on her own, and her sophisticated interaction with much more mature older people as seen in Sweet and Elite.

then again...

It may just be that ponies either mature faster than by our cultural standards and exceptionally young(er) people engaging in adult activities is a norm in Equestria or at least Ponyville. Either way the show's Mane 6 are much more mature role models "for little girls" than it would seem to suggest ohmy.png . 

• 2 weeks later...

Even though they live on their own, they still seem a bit childish. I put them at 13-17.

Pinkie-13

Rainbow-13

Fluttershy-14

Twi-16

AJ-17

Rarity-17

And the CMC are no any older than 9. They seem to be in elementary school, and 10 years is not a YC anymore I think.

Scootaloo,Apple Bloom-9

Sweetie Belle,Babs Seed-8

Big Mac is 28 and Granny is 85.

And Celestia is 5790, so counting by Equestrian calendar, I was born at 28.09.5775 :D

And yes, Cheerilee is 17 too, you say it's impossible? The youngest teacher was 7 years old! So 17-year-old teacher is a rare thing indeed, but still possible.

(edited)

Applejack can be used as our baseline.  In Apple Family Reunnion, they say the official reunnion is every 100 moons.  That's a little more than 7 and a half years.  In one reunnion, AJ was about a year old.  This we know because she was able to form a coherient sentence and was self aware, much like Pipsqueek in Luna Eclipsed (who was confirmed to be under a year old).

Laurn Faust said that the Mane Six are teenagers, so that was probably 15 years ago.  This would put Applejack's age at 16 or 17.  I'd be more inclined to say 17 because that episode was in season 3.  That would put her age at the start of to show at 15, by my estimations.

The rest of the Mane Six are within a year of her, since they got their cuttie marks arround the same time.  I'd say Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash are about a year younger than the others because of how small they were at that point (also Dash said that she was the first in her year to get her cuttie mark).  Twilight is probably about half a year younger than AJ, concidering she was a bit smaller than AJ, Rarity, and Fluttershy at the time.

How old were they when they got their cutie marks?  The earliest anypony can get their cuttie mark is probably the age of 8, with 12 being the absolute latest.  The average is 9 or 10, concidering how many of the CMC's classmates already have cuttie marks.  This range fits well with the maturity of the CMC and the implied school system.  They don't normally go to secondary school, so they likely graduate after 6th grade and go on to persue the trade they are best at.

At that point, I'd say Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were 9, Twilight was 10, and the rest were 11 or close to their 11th birthday.  So we can use that to detirmain all the rest, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Applejack: 15-17

Fluttershy: 16-18

Pinkie Pie: 14-16

Rainbow Dash: 14-16

Rarity: 15-17

Spike: 5-7

Twilight Sparkle: 15-17

Edited by Forlong

(edited)

Judging by the sizes of the mane 6 when they were fillies and simultaneously getting their cutie marks, Pinkie Pie was the smallest and Fluttershy was the biggest. I would assume that this means Pinkie is the youngest and Fluttershy is the oldest. However, Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie so I would guess the mane 6 are within a year of each other.

I would guess they are about 18-20 as they are independent and many run businesses but in Equestria a pony learns what their calling is as a filly and then works from they day on in that field of expertise. This would mean they would perfect their craft at a younger age than we humans do.

As for the CMC, I'd say 8-10. Spike was born when the mane 6 got their cutie marks (when they were about 9ish) and they are currently about 19ish so I'd say he has to be about 10. This may not work for some people as they would assume he would be younger but he's a baby DRAGON which are often characterised as living many centuries. This would also put him as slightly older than the CMC which makes sense considering his immaturity as well as having more responsibilities than the fillies.

Edited by Taviscratch

I know that in the episode the Cutie mark cronicicles Fluttershy has the longest legs in that episode but everypony else at just little fillies. And also in the episode Griffon the brush off Fluttershy says to Pinkie "Um I'm a year older than you." So what to do when someone asks us "Who is the oldest." If you guys have any ideas or suggestions please say something.

If I had to take my guess I would probably say either Applejack or Rarity is the oldest. Applejack is the most level headed and mature of the mane 6 but that is also in part because she had to grow up a bit faster due to the untimely death of her parents. Rarity despite her shallow/vain side has also shown to be fairly level headed and mature when she needs to be, and runs her own business as fashion designer/seamstress which probably took a while to become successful.

Well, EQG is kind of a dead ringer isn't it?

I'd place Flutters as the oldest at 17, with the rest trailing behind around the 15,16 mark? That's the only construsion I can make from the EQG movie, unless Twilight gets younger.

I'd put Twilight as the youngest though, as I've always thought of her maturity as more 'learned' than experience.

I don't claim to speak for the entire fandom when I say this, but I think a great deal of bronies would agree that Equestria Girls don't mean shit in regards to the actual Mane 6's age. If, in the alternate universe, Twi's friends are completely different in species, then it's not an unfair assumption that they differ in age as well.

Still, even in regards to the human Mane 6's age, I think 15-16 is horribly undershooting it. It can be assumed quite easily that they're probably in their senior year, considering they've witnessed

Sunset being crowned school princess year after year. [ENDSPOILER] In senior year of high school, most people are either 18 or just about to turn 18. Because we know that Fluttershy (and possibly the others) is a year older than Pinkie, that most likely means that Pinkie is 17 and everyone else is 18 or nearly so.

At the end of the day, though, I'm sticking to the generally accepted fanon of the actual Mane 6 being in their 20s.

• Brohoof 2

Just gonna quote my blog here:

Blog Entry 'How Old are the Mane 6?'

Heya my fellow bronies. Today I have decided to tackle a question that has plagued my mind since first joining this fandom. Just how old are the mane 6? I have read dozens and dozens of theories all across the internet, ranging as young as 13 years old, to as old as 30 years old. Personally, I think both of those theories are wrong, but let's start at the beginning. 

BEFORE I BEGIN, THIS IS ALL ASSUMING THE PONIES OF EQUESTRIA AGE SIMILARLY TO HUMANS. JUDGING MAINLY BY THE WAY THEIR SOCIETY WORKS, IT IS LIKELY THAT THEY DO.

First, we have to look at what the cannon has provided us. Unfortunately, we don't really have too much information to go off of. The only real concrete proof we have of establishing the ages of the mane six is that Fluttershy is one year older than Pinkie Pie. 

Not the best foundation to work with, but at least it's something. 

So, it's time to do some digging. Perhaps the best episode to get started on my quest for answers would be "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" (Season 1, Episode 23). 

EPISODE SPOILERS BELOW

For those of you who haven't seen it, in this episode the cutie mark crusaders seek out each member of the mane 6 to ask them how they earned their cutie mark. Each of their stories conveniently tie in together, as they each get their cutie marks when Rainbow Dash preforms the Sonic Rainboom for the first time. 

This is good; this means that we have a solid basis of what each one of them looked like at roughly the same time period.

xpdj.jpg

Generally, I would put them at roughly the same age as the cutie mark crusaders, if not a tiny bit younger in the above image. The cool thing about these filly designs, is that they definitely do not look the same age. 
Applejack, Fluttershy and Rarity look slightly older than the others, while Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Twilight look a bit on the younger side. This also holds up with the above evidence of Fluttershy being a whole year older than Pinkie Pie. 

Of course, this is hardly concrete evidence. Looks aren't everything; some kids simply look young/old for their age. It is entirely possible that some of them matured faster than the others. 

This can be proven by the fact that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy went to flight camp together. This would suggest that they are likely the same age. Rainbow Dash may be slightly younger than Fluttershy (We're talking mere months here), but it is probable that she just looks young for her age. 

Either way, I would place the mane six in these pictures anywhere from 8-10. This can be reinforced with the fact that they are still pre-pubescent, but they are on the cusp of puberty (Hence them getting their cutie marks). Keep in mind that girls tend to go through puberty earlier than boys, so it is not unheard of for a nine year old girl to go through puberty. 

This is also likely how old the Cutie Mark Crusaders currently are. 

Now that we have that established, let's move on to how old the Mane six are at the beginning of FiM. 

We can find a ton of evidence by looking at Applebloom. As I have established above, it is fair to assume that the CMC are around the ages of 8-10. We can narrow this down by the fact that they are considered 'late bloomers', so they are probably closer to 10 years old. Now, look at this picture of Applejack in "The Cutie Mark Chronicles".

Filly_Applejack_leaving_Sweet_Apple_Acre

Notice the absence of a certain somepony? That's right, Applebloom is nowhere to be found. This stands to reason that at this time, Applebloom either hasn't been born yet, or is really young. It is also clear that Big Macintosh is Applejack's older brother. Since we know Applejack is roughly 9-10 years old in this picture (considering it is likely she is one of the older Mane 6), it's beginning to look like Big Mac is in his early teens. This can be reinforced by the fact that he already has his cutie mark. This means that Big Mac has already gone through puberty, putting him anywhere from 11-14 years old in this picture (Boys generally mature later than girls). Considering that the Apple family are notoriously late bloomers, he is probably closer to 13 or 14. 

So, Big Mac's age in the above picture clearly rules out the theories that the mane six are in their early teens (Especially considering Applejack must have aged 9-10 years since this scene and the beginning of FiM when we factor in how old Applebloom is). 

On the other side of the spectrum, I also find it hard to believe that the mane six are in their 30's. This is due to their maturity levels. Yes, I know that I said sometimes adults can act childish and younger people can be mature for their age, but simply judging by how they treat the world around them, I highly doubt that any of them have reached their 30's. Even someone like Big Mac would probably only be in his high 20's. 

So with this information gathered, it is easy to narrow them down to their early-mid twenties, but before I go making wild assumptions I would like to dig deeper.

This brings me to body types.

Now, when you search 'MLP age chart' on google, this is typically what you get:

zytl.jpg

BUT NAY I SAY! (Horse pun not intentional. Sorry.)
This chart cannot be accurate for several reasons. 

1. The 'adult/mare' body cannot represent the typical adult in Equestria. The only characters we ever see with this body type are the Alicorns, so it is far more probable that this physique is reserved for more experienced Alicorns. Twilight has likely retained her old body type because she is still a new Alicorn, she will probably eventually grow into this body type. 

2. Next, it's time to deal with the 'Filly/Teenage' body. This is by far the most used body type in the show, and that is precisely why it is illogical to think this body represents a teenager. Fist of all, using the real world as reference we can conclude that only about 25% of the population are under 18 (This includes babies, young children and teenagers). 

That would mean that a whopping 75% of the population are 18-65. This is a key fact to know, because as you may have noticed the mane 6 all share this body type. This means it is far more likely that they age over 18. 

90% of Ponyville populated by teenagers!? Unlikely.

Also, further putting to rest the hilarious notion of this being a teenager, just look at the Cakes:

800px-Mr._and_Mrs._Cake_hoping_Fluttersh

According to the MLP age chart, these two fit more into the teenage category, even though it is established these two are middle aged. Same thing can be said for Rarity's parents. 

Now, as if that all already wasn't enough to narrow their ages down, I'm going to dig even deeper.

Just look at where they are in their lives. Every single member of the mane 6 lives on their own (Save Applejack), and they all have full time jobs. Twilight is a librarian, Rainbow Dash is Ponyville's weather manager, Fluttershy takes care of the animals, Applejack is a farmer/apple harvester and Pinkie Pie is a pastry chef. Heck, Rarity is even a full fledged business owner. 

They have all shown at least a degree of adult responsibility. This is apparent in Applejack's motherly relationship towards Applebloom. Even Rarity can be seen as somewhat of a mother figure to Sweetie Belle, but to a lesser extent. Same could be argued for Twilight to Spike. 

And for those of you about to say "Well, in Equestria Girls they are all in high school"...

NO!

Not that I have anything against that movie (You can read my full review here: http://mlpforums.com...ew-no-spoilers/), but this theory doesn't hold up for two major reasons.

1. Equestria Girls is non cannon. The movie is a one off story that takes place in a timeline separate from the main FiM timeline. Anyone who reads comic books will know what I'm talking about.

2. We do not know enough about the world Twilight is sent to. Who's to say that the characters in this (we'll call it high school universe) High school universe are younger than the pony counterparts in Equestria? There is no possible way of knowing, because it hasn't been established. When does High School universe take place relative to Equestria's world? Does time even work the same way? There are way to many variables. 

So no. This theory requires an ungodly amount of speculation to hold any water whatsoever.

So, after all is said and done, I think I'm ready to give some estimates of their ages. 

NOTE, THESE ARE INFORMED GUESSES BASED ON THE RESEARCH I HAVE COLLECTED. THESE AGES ARE NOT FINAL, THEY ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AS NEW EVIDENCE PRESENTS ITSELF. ALSO, THESE ARE THEIR AGES AT THE TIME TWILIGHT ARRIVES IN PONYVILLE. THEY OBVIOUSLY AGED APPROPRIATELY THROUGHOUT THE SERIES.

FROM OLDEST TO YOUNGEST:

APPLEJACK: On top of being one of the older looking fillies in 'The Cutie Mark Chronicles', Applejack is also by far the most mature out of the entire group. She has shown on multiple occasions to be the voice of reason when Twilight loses it. She seems to have the most real world experience, and you can tell by the way she interacts with the world around her. She seems like the wisest of the mane 6. Note how I said wise, not booksmart. They're different. What I mean by wise is that she seems like the pony you can go to for advise. Never is this more prevalent than with Applebloom. She is always there to give advice to her younger sibling, even to the point where you could say she is Appleblooms mother figure. Not only has she taken on the enormous responsibility of basically raising Applebloom (With help from Bic Mac and Granny Smith of course), but she is also always there whenever you need her. She will always lend a helping had, and all with a big smile on her face.

This quality spells maturity to me. Because of this, I am placing her as most likely to be the eldest. Not to mention it would make sense that she went through puberty at an older age than her friends, considering the Apple family are all notoriously late bloomers.
applejack_by_vexorb-d4jlkc1.png

Rarity: To my surprise, Rarity actually shares a lot of traits with Applejack of all ponies. Like Applejack, she is also one of the older looking fillies in 'Cutie Mark Chronicles', but she shares plenty of traits with AJ that aren't physical. Like AJ, she has taken a major role in the life of her younger sibling Sweetie Belle. Although Unlike AJ and Applebloom, Rarity and Sweetie clearly share a sisterly relationship rather than a mother/daughter relationship. Still, one major thing Rarity has going for her is her social standing. I know that social standings don't determine age, but it's her behavior that could give us a better understanding of how old she is. She clearly knows how to behave among the Canterlot elite, and that would take both real world experience and maturity. On top of that, she also is a business owner. That is a big one. Running a business is a tremendous responsibility, and would imply that Rarity is more mature than she sometimes leads on. It's true that she can act a tad bit childish sometimes, but you can tell that she is generally grounded in reality. 
85021.png?1361248049

Fluttershy: Just like her two friends above her, Fluttershy definitely looked like one of the older ponies in 'Cutie Mark Chronicles'. Now, some people I know chalk her up to be 'immature', but I have to disagree. Fluttershy was clearly very sheltered as a filly, and you can tell by the way she acts that she suffers from social anxiety. Social anxiety does not equal immaturity. In fact, I believe that Fluttershy is a lot more mature than she leads on. Think about it; she pretty well single-handedly takes care of a large portion of Ponyville's animals; taking on such a responsibility shows signs maturity. I don't think she is quite on the level of Applejack or Rarity, but she's getting there. Not to mention it helps that she is one of the only ponies who's age is at least somewhat cannonized (The fact that she is without a doubt one year older than Pinkie Pie)
fluttershy_is____umm____ready__by_thatgu

Rainbow Dash: Now, let me start off by saying that I would have probably placed Rainbow Dash lower on the age grid if it wasn't for one pivotal fact; she went to flight camp with Fluttershy. This would imply that she is probably around as old as Fluttershy. A lot of bronies have called Rainbow Dash immature, and in this case I agree with them. As much as I love Dashie, she can be downright childish. She is narcissistic, she plays pranks, she can be lazy and so on. Usually this would make me place her lower on the age list, but remember when I said that adults can be childish too? It's not that she is completely devoid of maturity mind you, just watch episodes like 'Sleepless in Ponyville' and 'Wonderbolt Academy'. To me, Rainbow Dash is that one friend who is just beginning to fully mature, and it shows. In this case, I would say that she is only mere months younger than Fluttershy.
rainbow_dash_12_by_xpesifeindx-d5giyir.p

Pinkie Pie: Oh Pinkie Pie, you so crazy. Much like Rainbow Dash, many people consider Pinkie Pie to be immature. Once again, I am inclined to agree with them. She is still clearly a child in an adults body. She has a general sense of responsibility (She watches over Sugarcube corner when the Cakes aren't around, and they even trust her with babysitting their children), but overall she seems a lot more interested in having fun. She needs to be constantly entertained, and can find it hard to pay attention. Unlike Rainbow Dash who seems to be on the cusp of maturity, Pinkie Pie seems to be a child that doesn't want to grow up. Also, it is established in the cannon that she is a year younger than Fluttershy. Mentally, she is definitely the youngest, though I do not believe her to be the youngest physically. I'll explain below.
3YTsL.png

Twilight Sparkle: What's this? Twilight's younger than Pinkie Pie? Allow me to explain. Twilight Sparkle in a nutshell, is the prodigy. She is the straight A student. She is the child that everyone expects to do great things because she was born with tremendous natural talent. She wouldn't be Celestia's student otherwise. What does this have to do with her age? Well as the prodigy, it is very possible that she mastered her trade at a much younger age than her friends. She may seem much more mature than the likes of Pinkie Pie or Rainbow Dash, but there is an explanation for that. Her booksmarts and natural cynicism would definitely help her out in terms of mental soundness, and as the prodigy it is to be expected that she would be mature for her age. One thing that sets her apart (and makes it apparent that she is the youngest) is her lack of real world knowledge. Twilight may be smart, but she lacks worldly experience. She has shown on multiple occasions that she freezes up when a situation turns out differently than one of her books. She is still trying to find her way in the world (Up until she becomes princess) and constantly struggles to find her place. Winter Wrap up is a very strong example. Even Twilight's arrival in Ponyville can symbolize a person taking their first steps into the real world. In this case, I think it is safe to assume she is the youngest.
Twilight_sparkle_cute.png

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT. How old do you think the Mane six are? Feel free to leave a comment explaining your opinion. 

Why would I go into such depths in an attempt to explain a children's show? Isn't that kind of trivial?

Yes it is. Deal with it. 

• Brohoof 3

Lawful Jordo nailed it, I think.  An important thing to keep in mind here is that they all got their cutie marks at the same time, and that limits the age difference between the youngest and the oldest to at best a few years, and not the 6, 7, 8 years that some are postulating. 

• Brohoof 1