Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the ponies?

LyraHeartstrings

Old enough for me.

Booyah!

And now for some words and/or letters to pass the requisite 100 characters limit. Hmmmmmm. Let's see.... I oh- there it goes!

From youngest to oldest, I'd guess:

Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy, AppleJack, Rarity.

From the looks of the above comments, people seem to be mostly in agreement. 

It's also almost definite that AppleJack is older than Rainbow Dash, because she was last in her class to get her cutie mark and Rainbow Dash was first. Since they got their cutie marks at pretty much the same time, AppleJack must be in a higher grade.

CMC are NOT teens, they just don't seem like them. The cutie mark does not necessarily indicate the puberty, they can get their mark anywhere from 3 to 18.

Digibrony, a MLP YouTube reviewer, gave a pretty good arguement for the Mane 6 ages. I'll try to post it if I can, but the upshot was giving them an age is 15 at the start of the show. I think most people feel they are between that and 21 or 22. See the video below. Very interesting.

Edited by Nature Spell

The mane six are most likely around twenty years old, and the CMC are probably around thirteen. That's just my guess, I have no idea.

Spock+I.jpg

Hate to break it to you, but that really doesn't make sense.  Okay, Twilight has had time to master mathematics and chemistry, as well as learned some astronomy, geography, and sociology.  All that would take less than four years, even with generous estimates.  If Twilight was Celestia's student seven years ago, she should have graduated a long time ago.

Equestria Girls movie spoiler 

In the movie, when Twilight goes through the portal, she's in a High-school, and she sees all of her friends there as well. I think this is an idea of their age. I doubt they can be Freshmen, since they've been with Sunset Shimmer for a while, which ended up breaking their friendship. They were friends before, as noted by the picture.

Another clue is that Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were in the same flight class, then when the race started, Fluttershy fell, and the whole cutie mark thing happened.

If I'd have to take a guess, they're about 16-20

As for the CMC, they seem to have random bursts of common sense and responsibility, though that's uncommon. The ages 8-10 fit them.

Edited by SolarKnight

Since for Equestria girls they were in high school, I'll say they are no younger than 17 and probably no older than 22. Just my guess.

luna_facehoof_by_3luk-d4sqhwm.png

Celestia and Luna are also in that movie, and do they look 1,000 years old?  I don't think so.

The Equestria Girls universe is a bad comparison because the ages are all over the place.  It's a parallel universe that has similar characters to Equestria.

Celestia and Luna are also in that movie, and do they look 1,000 years old?  I don't think so.

The Equestria Girls universe is a bad comparison because the ages are all over the place.  It's a parallel universe that has similar characters to Equestria.

Hmmm, that is a good point, so I guess you got me on that one. But lets think about them in back in regular Equestria, besides Rarity and Applejack, none of them live with their parents. So this probably means that they are of age they can live without parental support and support any siblings if they have them, like Rarity with Sweetie Belle. 

All I can really say is that I hope that the mane six are adults and not teenagers.  If they are teenagers, it makes all of the clopper stuff out there way more disturbing.  Plus, I always tell people that I am in love with Pinkie Pie.  I said that believing that she was an adult character.  If it turns out she is 15, then I look like a pervert.

Edited by Shawn Parks

All I can really say is that I hope that the mane six are adults and not teenagers. If they are teenagers, it makes all of the clopper stuff out there way more disturbing. Plus, I always tell people that I am in love with Pinkie Pie. I said that believing that she was an adult character. If it turns out she is 15, then I look like a pervert.

Screw clop.

Now to fill the needed place...

Ganon and his warriors have seized dinner. It's written: Only Chiyo can defeat Ganon.

• 2 weeks later...

Im not completely sure but isn't Fluttershy the oldest, seeing that in the cutie mark chronicles, Fluttershy looks the oldest while Pinkie looks the youngest. Just my opinion. If someone disagrees, quote me on it.

Edited by Jet Scream Jenkins

Lets put all magical theories, spells and all around time aside.

how old are the ponies in the show

now i get a lot of people will speculate that say they are alicorns so they live forever or that they use age spells to live for longer amounts of time, lets say that neither of this is true. Now, Celestia and Luna have a sort of free bee in which we know that they have lived for more then 1000 years but we have almost no insight into how long twilight and others have lived.

All speculating is ok, thanks in advance.

well, they certainly are mature. Rarity has her own bisuness, and applejack has her own farm. 

my guess would be somewhere in their twenties. still young, but old enough to run their own lives.

Edited by repsol rave

Well considering one human year is 4 horse years and they consider a filly to be a horse 4 years old or younger (in human years) so at max a filly could be 1-16 years of age. So the Cutie Mark Crusaders are probably between the ages of 10 and 16. 

And I guess if you took the base idea that Applejack is at least 20 years of age, Big Mac has to be older than her but unlike the fillies, there isn't really anything to compare Big Mac to beside Applejack and Granny Smith, my guess is that he is between Applejack's age of 20 years old (horse years as I mentioned earlier) and Granny Smith's age of around late 90's (again in horse years, because the average life span of a horse in human years is 25 to 30 years which would be between 100 and 120 horse years). But that doesn't really narrow down Big Mac's age by much at all, but Cheerlie can be compared to him as well and based on Applejack's age, I could probably guess that Cheerlie would be in her late 20's early 30's (horse years) which would mean Big Mac would be right around that age zone as well.

The fact that the Ponies could have a different time measurement system could change what I said, but they seem to refer to younger ponies as fillies and If we look that up, it's a young horse under 4 years old, so that's the only base line other than the horse years and average lifespan I had to go on to yank this information instead of just guessing for the most part. 
But the other ponies such as The Cakes, and Fancy Pants would have to be around Big Mac and Cheerlie's age while The Wonderbolts would have to be in their mid or late twenties as well as Derpy, but Doodle Donkey would be the hardest of them all to pin point a age for since Donkies have a much large lifespan than horses and wouldn't be in the same ballpark as the rest of the characters mentioned.

As for the rest, you'd have to take the ones mentioned and base them on others you'd like to know.

That's my take on their ages.

• Brohoof 1

I believe I finally have the verdict on this.

If the spin off of Equestria Girls taught me something, is that if they entered in high school, where most are 15-18, they must be somewhere between that age by the looks of it.

• Brohoof 3

Well, from what I know, my guess is that they're around 18 to 25. They're pretty much young adults.

f the spin off of Equestria Girls taught me something, is that if they entered in high school, where most are 15-18, they must be somewhere between that age by the looks of it.

I made a topic about this before, and most people's guesses were that time works differently between our two worlds.

• Brohoof 1

I think their ages range around from 18 to 25, since they start out very young then they go into their teenage years. Going out of their teenage phase, they become young adults.

My guesses would be:

Twilight & Rainbow: 18

Rarity, Applejack & Pinkie Pie: 21

Fluttershy: 22

Fluttershy being oldest based on her being older than the rest in the flashback episode, is 1 year older than Pinkie and shyness not being a factor that is directly attached to age.

If the spin off of Equestria Girls taught me something, is that if they entered in high school, where most are 15-18, they must be somewhere between that age by the looks of it.

I thought that too for a little bit, but there's a problem. Celestia and Luna are still there, and they're over a thousand years old. I don't think they're the same age in the human world. That would be strange and weird. So the ages might not line up 1 to 1.