Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Bookstores becoming extinct

ManaMinori

Am I the only one fearful of this? Borders has been gone for a few years, and I fear Barnes N Noble, and even public libraries will be hit next, with people getting their reading material from digital devices nowadays.

How do others feel about this?

it's just what happens. it's not like books are dying or whatever, they're just easier to get if you order them or read them off of a screen.

highly doubt anything big like barnes n noble will go down, especially so fast.

I think there will be a day when people(a majority of people anyways) view physical books as a waste of space and resources but I do think that bookstores might one day be a niche community thing.  There are people, like me, that have a hard time with reading e-books and I think that that will be a persistent thing, there's nothing like having a good book in your hands and feeling the pages at your fingertips.  I'm just glad that people are reading in the first place, or listening to audiobooks, or even downloading books off the internet.  Reading is such a great thing that many of us take for granted, not everyone can read.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe new book stories and libraries but one thing that will stay most likely in Antique book stores.  They will be around for centuries to come most likely unless some revolutionary changes occur to our society.

In Finland our biggest(I think) bookstore-company that has shops around Finland seems to be doing fine and is getting new books to their selection all the time, also libraries has been reconditioned, even though some smaller ones are closed.

I can't talk for other countries, but I don't think that they are disappearing from Finland, at least not for while. 

Edited by The Cerberus

Bookstores are not going away anytime soon. Barnes & Noble, for example, openly embrace E-books and treat them as another selling product. Some people are still comfortable buying paperback or hardback rather than staring at a screen, because the brightness of the screen usually strains people's eyes, or the lack of screen brightness makes it hard to read under bright lights. Plus, bookstores often offer more commodities, such as cafes or a reading space for people to make themselves comfortable.

Also, some books aren't suited for reading electronically, like magazines or guidebooks.

• Brohoof 1

I doubt we will see bookstores go away anytime soon... although the smaller "mom and pop" shop style kind will probably slowly vanish, unless they find ways to adapt... that is just the nature of it sadly... since they compete with both the big book stores and the e-market out there. I think the used book store will continue to thrive as well. 

There is something appealing about holding an actual book in your hands vs. a tablet or phone of some kind when sitting down to read a favorite story.

There are six Half Price Books, seven Barnes & Nobles, twenty libraries and a large assortment of mom and pop bookstores in the city closest to me. I didn't count the bookstores and libraries in surrounding towns. Even my small town of less than 400 people has a mini library that was recently added. I don't think I have to worry about bookstores and libraries going the way of the dinosaurs anytime soon. :P

Edited by Puddle Duck

Smaller bookstores are likely to disappear within the next few years courtesy of the online world being easier to both order books and to read the material online. Larger bookstore chains will continue to thrive as I doubt people would suddenly turn away from them just like that. For me, I still have the local Chapters to frequent for all of my book needs, though I should check out that even more local small bookstore one of these days.

Am I the only one fearful of this? Borders has been gone for a few years, and I fear Barnes N Noble, and even public libraries will be hit next, with people getting their reading material from digital devices nowadays.

How do others feel about this?

I feel the same way and school is not helping school gust make you read an assiend book or make you read ¨in your level¨

and queshtons it makes kids these days not want to read because everything they read is for school half of the time 

A lot of people still read in my country, more than I thought we would because of all of the technology around us. I don't think they are "dieing" as I know so many people who still love to go to bookstores and libraries. Maybe they'll become extinct in the future, but not any time soon. Don't panic over it.

I don't think so. I'm still seeing a lot of book stores around me in spite of ebooks. Speaking personally as well, I'm not a huge fan of them. I gave ebooks a fair try and I get the appeal of not having books take up as much space and saving on the physical resources, but the experience of actually reading the book doesn't feel right. There's something tangible about a physical book these devices aren't producing. At any rate, I sincerely hope bookstores don't become extinct.

Part of the problem is that Barnes & Noble is the only major chain left. The slightest instability in the market now threatens the entire industry if they can't adapt fast enough. The chains all eating each other up has created a very unstable market; the town where I grew up doesn't have a bookstore at all anymore.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe the smaller and independent bookstores will banish soon, but I doubt the likes of Barnes n Nobles will suffer the same fate. On top of them adapting, some people still likes to read 'em books instead of a screen (like me  :-P )

Makes me think of how many terms won't make sense for future generations when there are no more books like "bookmark," "Let's book it"

We still use that old archaic floppy disk icon for "Save." 

Anyways where did all the handwritten scrolls stores go anyway, I need to feel the feeling of the author from the print he made with his quill pen or whatever rock residue he was using to write. 

Edited by cider float

Books will remain viable for a long while, if not for another reason then as spares in case electricity in your region dies out.

Books, or writing in general is one of the greatest inventions of mankind, and there's a lot you can find in books, dated articles, journals, logs... There's a lot that was never really transcribed to the Internet and is gathering dust somewhere

the independant ones in my town have been going, theres only one left, but Waterstones is the only place to really buy books, but theyre quite pricey. Ive noticed that theyve started stocking gifts and geeky things now to help win people over. Tbh the only books I buy these days are animation and game art related, but I hang around the manga and graphic novel sections. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I'd hate to see brick and mortar bookstores go away, but unfortunately they probably will in time. Browsing books on a shelf is much more fun than searching a website. I like to feel a book in my hands and flip through it, smell the paper, enjoy the supple shape and texture. There will never be a good alternative for living in reality and experiencing these things first-hand, but sadly everything is virtual now. 

• Brohoof 1