Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who loves paper books?

Shattered Ice

It may sound a little odd but I get a lot of pleasure out of intially destroying older books. Now hear me out... lay down the pitchforks.. ...I actually get these books from libraries who would just throw them out (because they have newer ones and lack capacity or if the books are doubles) and make little book-compartments out of them with my students. They love making their own secret safe out of the books.

Regarding the reading-aspect.. I only read real books, eBooks are just not for me.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find e-books to be great in their own right: for traveling light, low prices on older books (outside of print library check-outs), and those days when I wish to carry a library's worth of novels and such around for convenience.

Nothing beats a good print book, though. Especially one with crispy pages, that woody smell, and the fact behind it that it's been owned and used...  :yay:

I love real paper books; the feel, the weight, the texture. Reading on a device may have certain conveniences, but that doesn't mean we should overlook the convenience of enjoying a real book, which doesn't have to be turned on, booted up, or recharged to ensure there's enough juice to get through to the final chapter. Not to mention that, with a real book, I can simply flip back and forth to any part I wish without hopelessly losing track of where I am. 

I've said it many times and I'll say it again. The world was a lot simpler before technology 'simplified' the world. 

• Brohoof 2

My dad has let me use his Kindle in the past and I've downloaded a few e-books on my phone, but honestly... I prefer physical copies of books Something about actually being able to hold them in my hands just makes me value them so much more. I'll probably still be reading paper books decades from now. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/25/2018 at 10:42 PM, Midnight Solace said:

I'm pretty sure they're not called "paper books," but rather "physical copies." That being said, I do prefer the physical copies of books much more than electronic copies.

Some people these days annoyingly refer to them as "dead trees". :eww:.

Not bibliophiles fault hemp is illegal. 

Edited by Fluttershutter

I LOVE, real, paper books.  There is just something wonderful, irreplaceable, and almost magical about real, paper books.  Screens and electronic devices and NEVER replace that.  I love the feel of books, I love the smell.  I love picking them up, holding them, and of course, reading them.  I love displaying them on my shelf.  I love resting them in my lap, I love turning the pages.  Don't get me wrong, I love my electronics as well, including my tablet.  I spend hours playing with that thing, but I would never, ever read an entire novel on it.  Eliminating paper books would be like... I think the best analogy would be if we someday had the ability to perfectly replicate the sound of any instrument digitally, and thus, eliminated physical instruments altogether.  No more musicians playing instruments.  No more plucking of strings or hitting of keys, no more blowing into mouthpieces.  Just clicks on a screen.  Could you imagine how tragic that would be?  To lose live music?  To lose that connection of a human actually playing an instrument?  That's how I'd feel if paper books were eliminated.  I think it would be a tragic loss of something extremely precious.

On 12/20/2016 at 2:50 PM, Merry Brony 2A said:

I don't like buying something that I can't physically own. I like flipping through a text book much more than trying to click through web sites.

Exactly.  Thank your for raising this point.  The thing one has to remember about digital books is that the evil corporations giveth, and they can taketh away.  Awhile back, in an action of absolutely stunning irony, Amazon remotely wiped all copies of Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm from all Kindles due to some copyright bs or other such flim flam.  Massive lawsuit ensued.  They fixed and promised it wouldn't happen again, but the point is that you don't truly own digital books.  I'd rather have a book on my shelf, thank you very much.  The all seeing-eyes can't waltz into my house, grab my book off the shelf, censor it, change it, take it away, etc.

Y'know, I just want to add that one of the reasons I love reading so much is that it's truly the only limitless form of storytelling.  No time-slots, no required length, no rules, no censorship.  An author can literally write anything.  And reading runs on the worlds most powerful graphics chip: imagination.

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 3

I like everything digital, even my games, simply because they cannot be lost or broken, books are the only exception. There is this series of books I really like, and I collect the physical copies to read them, but then I can use them as decor when finished. Plus my sister is a book nerd, so I can lend them to her without her taking my equipment.

• 1 month later...

I never read books much, but when I do, I don't really care if it's a real paper book or an online book. I mean, I have a Kindle, but I hardly use it and I have a few paper books that I never read. :derp:

• Brohoof 1

I always prefer a physical copy over the digital because I do like knowing that I will have it no matter what, but I am not against digital books because I will admit they have helped make books more accessible.

I use both depending on my situation. I love physical books because they feel so much more immersive, but I find that e-books are just a lot more convenient for me. I usually like to read while I eat, and I don't want everyone else in the dining hall to look at me like I'm weird. That, and a phone fits in my pocket.