Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who loves paper books?

Shattered Ice

Paper books feel nice, less strain and you don't worry about fall damage, glitches, charge and lag after a long period of use. Plus, there's the nostalgia value, for those who're old like me XD

That being said, an electronic support allows you to have dozens, even hundreds of books in one place. It's simpler to search them for a quote, or to buy more without leaving home or waiting for a physical delivery. And let's not forget, no risk of papercuts... >.<

I have both paperback/hardcover books and electronic ones (iBooks on my tablet), they're both cool in their own ways.

I do love having the ability to read whatever book I want on my kindle, but if I have the choice between reading a book digitally or reading the physical book itself, I'll choose the book every time. There's just nothing that can replace the feel, the smell, and the beauty of it all. :wub:

5 hours ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

ianvillarbookshelf.jpg

I wish I had enough books that I could sort them by color like that, because I totally would. ^_^

I think paper books are amazing, but I'm usually too busy to read them. They're really handy for staff duty, if you get bored easily.

In AIT, I had staff duty a couple of times, and I wasn't allowed the use of any electronics. I had to sit at a desk for 12 hours and keep a log of everyone who came in or went out, something that didn't happen very often because I was on the 3rd floor.

I found a couple of books from the "Kin of Kings" series, a fantasy saga, and was instantly hooked. Problem was the books I found were books 2 and 3 in the series, so I didn't really know what was going on.

I still enjoyed it a lot though.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, The Historian said:

I would much rather read Dune as a book than on a tablet. Reading a book on a tablet just feels wrong.

Same,  I mean  you can get a TON of books on a tablet but at the same time,  I like holding and even how a book smells.

Yea, I love paperback books, the feel and smell of them. Plus, this might sound weird its just satisfying turning a page. 

I get the the pro's of kindles, y'know carrying a whole library in your bag and it weighs pretty much nothing. But god, I can't stand reading on them, for some reason I feel like I just can't focus on it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

As much as possible on paper, in print. Only reading I do online/electrically is what I can't do offline.

If paper and ink weren't so expensive, I'd probably find a way to use forums and such via fax or something. 

I'd bet I have pushing a thousand books...mostly the school's fault though, they cleaned out all their "inappropriate for modern times books" and guess who knew the janitor to save them from the dumpster? Me! (They threw away alot of western's...and how to books, so if I ever want to read The Shootest while building my own house while welding a "seamless" roof, now I can)

1 hour ago, Twilight Sparkle97 said:

I meant I just read hard cover books. The kind of books I meant is hard on both the front and back and has paper pages. It's that simple. 

The question was about paper vs electronic, not paperback vs hardcover. I like hardcovers too.

I definitely prefer paper books. The feeling you have them in your hands, you can touch, feel and experience it while reading them. It's a complete different journey through a book. For nonfiction books I can see some advantages for electronic books, but even with them I'd prefer classic paper books. And in general I'd also say also my concentration is always better for classic paper books.

14 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle97 said:

I meant I just read hard cover books. The kind of books I meant is hard on both the front and back and has paper pages. It's that simple. 

Hardcover is preferable over softcover. But leatherbound is supreme.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Oh yes the paper book, its exquisite texture and soothing smell while containing vast collected knowledge. What is there not to love? The need to have the patience to read such books often can be challenging unless well written. Well written books however they draw you in as if they were a portal to another world a world of paper. Regardless, they hold something of a mystique over them to imagine the pure amount of books that have been unread and the fact that these books keep a lot of knowledge for people to learn. It is very special I believe so yes I like them.

• 2 weeks later...