Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A look into the past that will hint at the future! (possible spoilers)

Unlikeable Pony

So, what's your prediction for how the upcoming Comic arc featuring Shadowlock will tie into the future of MLP?

Do you think that Shadowlock is going to be the villain of season 7? Working for the villain of season 7? Or do you think this is instead meant to tease the movie in some way?

1482291591319.jpg

Possible time travel into the future?

I don't think so, they confirmed that the comics would tie directly into S7, so I think this hint is specifically talking about future MLP hints.

I should get back into the comics. That cover looks neat.

The stories can be weak, but andy price does good MLP art. Just avoid fosgitt like the plague.

• Brohoof 1

The writer said this arc ties in with season 7.

And I doubt he's the villain of the season. Maybe he's working for the villain, but the thing to note is that the bullet point said that the look to the past would hint at the future. I think what's really going to tie this in with season 7 will be the time period. Something from that time may have caused several events at once, one of which was Shadowlock or whatever is making him come to this time, and whatever else happened in this time period or whoever caused what happened in that time period will be fully revealed in the show.

Not everybody reads the comics, so if this dude is gonna be in season 7, it's probably not gonna be a big role. I say, those history books might have a major role in season 7, with theme being History of Equestria or something like that. Some dude steals the history books, Twilight gets them back, Twilight takes an interest of them, season 7 premiere!

Haven't read the comics in like....3 years, but I have a strong feeling this particular stallion could potentially free a villain of some kind. Seems to be a tactic to introduce a long-time threat that has been dormant. I really like the look of him too. :o

Lets start with the basics:

Magic_user + Green Eyes + Scar = He Who Fights Monsters

Purple streak (darker color) mane + horn = Highest level unicorn

Clover The Clever brown tunic + Spiral in the background = Pre-Discord Era

Edited by SilverComet

So, what's your prediction for how the upcoming Comic arc featuring Shadowlock will tie into the future of MLP?

Do you think that Shadowlock is going to be the villain of season 7? Working for the villain of season 7? Or do you think this is instead meant to tease the movie in some way?

sig-4771967.1482291591319.jpg

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, I CAN'T BELIEVE I'VE BEEN NINJA'D WITH THIS TOPIC, I'VE JUST MADE A THREAD LIKE THIS MYSELF :lol:. I DERPed :muffins: real good here  :D . No matter, I'll just copy-paste what I've posted 

Hey guys, I figured we can make a season seven speculation by now, though I've put it under the potential spoiler tag because I'll make my basis on potential leaks on the IDW comics part

Well, let's start by a tweet by newcomer James Asmus:

MLP%2BComics%2Bare%2BCanon.PNG

He blatantly writes that said comic will tie to the upcoming season, and in EQD, the first two issues are revealed. There are their synopsis respectively:

Issue 51

Twilight is startled to find that the most important history books in Equestria are going missing. Will she and her friends be able to uncover the identity of the mysterious new villain responsible?

Issue 52

Twilight and friends dive into the secret history of Equestria to find out the origin of the new villain, Shadowlock!

When I've posted the issue 52 a while ago, I've assumed that this Shadowlock would be the season premiere's new villain, but looking back at issue 51, it's clear he's originating from the comics, so we can probably rule out him being the new villain of the season. Then how exactly ties that arc with the season? I'm not sure, but we can piece one or two pieces together for other things we know so far:

1-The arc centers about Equestria's history so far, about how some pages are missing, and the other to seek the origins of the new comic villain

So, does that mean that what the show will touch more deeply into Equestria's past? If so, it'll be a great worldbuilding we have been looking forward to since season 2 with the Heartswarming Eve pageant

2-Shadowlock: Yes, I've made it clear that it was my mistake assuming he'll be the new season villain, but there's a detail on him that could connect him to Equestria's past aside from his plot of.... whatever he wanna do with it's history:

MLP51-cover.jpg

MLP52-cover.jpg

Isn't there something familiar about him like his cloak? Doesn't it look similar to what Twi wore when she played Clover the Clever? 

clover_the_clever_vector_by_kyute_kitsun

Does that hint about him being an apprentice of Starswirl? And the fact he wants to meddle with history might support that with Starswirl being an important past figure. Speaking of Starswirl

3-He MIGHT be still alive. Yes, and it can be found in the Journal of the Two Sisters. While it don't outright states it, it not only implies that he's still alive, but also knowing about Twi and her connection to the tree of harmony. So would that means the season would finally shed some light, if not outright reveal him?

• Brohoof 1

Tying a comic arc to the show like this is a precedent, so we cannot rule out that Shadowlock won’t appear in the show itself since the comics could just be detailing his relevance while the show quickly sums it up like it always does.

How meager texts and pictures address him, it seems like he’s more of a Dan Brown-esque kinda vigilante/villain who is quite familiar with something that happened in the past due to an undisclosed reason.

Tinfoil time: what if that cape isn’t there just to make him look edgy? What if that cape hides feathers? Even his glowing white eyes on the first cover hint at some dank (alicorn?) pony magic. This way he could just as well be from Plot Swirl’s time.

Hey could this really cool looking arc mean that Meghan is back to writing on the show? The movie is far done from being written, so does the movie still need her? Either that, or Vogel became in charge, or Haber became much better! 

• 4 months later...

well, predicting it now; The villain of the finale will be the progenitor of the changeling race (they'll probably retcon the magical pool from fiendship is magic as having been made by him or something), and chrysalis will find and free him to get revenge on starlight, only to be betrayed and end up reforming in the end.

Untitled.png

First off I'd like to point out that for once the comics actually finished one of their arcs in a way that wasn't pants-shittingly awful, and was surprisingly decent, by making Shadowlock a decent character and actually letting the mane 6 do something.

A for the villain, unless that's an insane redesign, or if this comic actually will have some sort of bearing on the show, I think it's safe to say that this villain isn't Grogar, but rather a new villain all together, and likely the first changeling

19 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

First off I'd like to point out that for once the comics actually finished one of their arcs in a way that wasn't pants-shittingly awful, and was surprisingly decent, by making Shadowlock a decent character and actually letting the mane 6 do something.

A for the villain, unless that's an insane redesign, or if this comic actually will have some sort of bearing on the show, I think it's safe to say that this villain isn't Grogar, but rather a new villain all together, and likely the first changeling

Would actually make alot of sense for a villain, since Chrysalis swore revenge on starlight. I could see her finding and freeing the First changeling (ignoring the comic origin of course) to help her get revenge.

(edited)

It may be that I'm just kind of burned out on the Changelings and looking for an opportunity for them to be disregarded, but this villain doesn't strike me as a Changeling.

His mane is ethereal (as well as his wings it seems), he has no holes or openings in his legs, nor does he have any of the insectoid features the Changelings are known for having (plus, Shadow Lock never gave an indication of any Changeling heritage).

He strikes me as more of a demon than anything else.

Edited by BadHorse

37 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

if this comic actually will have some sort of bearing on the show

The comics aren't going to affect the show. They've even clarified in interviews that the scripts for season 7 were already written before the comics were written. What they're doing is taking the stuff in the episodes and expanding on them or setting them up, like how the Legends of Magic comic series is going to be giving more backstory to historical characters who are only mentioned in the show, due to the show not having enough time to go into more detail.

7 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

currently that's just starswirl and celestia who've actually been in the show and the legends of magic :P

I mean that in future episodes they're going to mention characters who will be featured in Legends of Magic.

A bit Lovecraftian but no cool change to be had. Where are the writhing limbs, slobbering orifices, bulging eyes? Nothing? Then who cares about your ancestry!

Well, Lock doesn't look changeling-like, so saying the nightstallion in the book is a changeling is a bit premature. It could still be Grogar, though I doubt. He looks like a ponified Scarecrow.

The changeling route seems boring AF. Petty vengeance has already lost what little glamour it had.

• Brohoof 1