Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted [Help Wanted] First Flat Design Pony Picture of December 2016

Ganaram Inukshuk

post-627-0-69609800-1482419246_thumb.png

I've been out of commission since around September due to fall quarter and this is the first thing that I've put together since winter break started. This is part of a much bigger picture but I decided to only show this part.

I would like critique on the following:

- Colouration of background objects as opposed to foreground objects

- Placement of foreground objects relative to each other

- Overall pony anatomy

- Overall shading of background objects

- Anything missing that I need to know

Please note: I have tried to gauge whether or not there is a sizable audience who prefers flat design over other art styles but I haven't gotten any sort of data, so if you're able to, please leave a critique regardless of what art style you prefer.

• Brohoof 2

I admittedly am not the target audience for such art, but near as I can tell, there could stand to be a bit more here. The character is a bit blocky, but judging by the way it is rendered I think that is around the ballpark of what you went for here. Blockiness isn't wrong, and theoretically nothing is wrong in art.

As I understand, horses don't usually lay down. I could be wrong on that though so it's negligible. The shading is good, but the character itself could use a bit more care. You hit the nail in the head with the background to me. It plays in such a way that it can trick the eye into thinking it is three dimensional. There is, however, just a bit too much negative space on the wall. Maybe a lamp or something else on the wall will help, provided it adds to the overall meaning of the piece.

Additionally, the computer could use a touch up too. Just to give it a little more impact on the overall image. The colors themselves, however, are very minimalist. Nearly monochromatic. In this case, however, it works well.if you keep the same color palette you're already on a good track. Overall, nicely done. Hope I helped.

• 2 weeks later...

@@Ganaram Inukshuk, I'll admit this type of art isn't my strong suit, as I haven't really seen/understood/drawn enough of it to have a strong ability to critique it. But I'll try to add my own thoughts to this, even if they might be a little vague or sparse. :rarity:

Coloration of background v foreground - I think you did well by this. The background objects look to be a bit more faded, while the frontal images are more vivid and 'stand out' from the image in a subtle but strong way.

Overall pony anatomy - Too stylized to really comment strongly on. It looks right and pleasant, so I'd say you're doing well. Eye is really hard to discern given the body color, so that might be a weakpoint (not necessarily a flaw, there's a difference~) of the style you're going for as-is.

Placement of foreground objects - Pretty decent. Only thing I can really think of as possibly due for rearrangement is the can; I would almost tuck it slightly in front of the monitor, or behind another foreground object/the pony just to give it a slight plus in depth. Barely noticeable, but it seems like a tiny bit of inconsistency.

Other - the shadow of the pony seems to drift right, while the can and monitor have simple shadows directly below with no shift at all. 'Nother little point of inconsistency.

Regardless, it still looks like a lovely image. :P I've said it over PM before, but this really does remind me of one of my favorite youtuber's art styles; they have done really well with stylized simplicity, and I think you're actually following a very similar path.

Shading of background objects - It's minimalistic, but fits this style perfectly. Only issue I can think of is the direction the light source comes from; the staff seems to indicate it's from the top right, but the shadows of the foreground hint at something to the left