Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you call the tuft of fuzz on a pony's chest?

Bit Boss

I always call it just chest fluff.  :grin:  Or chest floof. There are many variations but it's something fluffy.

Just looked up an equine anatomy chart, and the closest I got to that information was that the place where that hair is is called the "breast".  (Ironic it's called that when an equine's mammaries are way by their hind legs, no?)

As far as I know it is just chest hair, or their chest coat, although depending on the growth it could be a whorl.

A whorl can be found on any animal with a hairy coat and can be located on almost any part of the body. It is just where the hair grows in the opposite direction of the normal growth.

• Brohoof 1

I always call it just chest fluff.  :grin:  Or chest floof. There are many variations but it's something fluffy.

Floofy!!

Just looked up an equine anatomy chart, and the closest I got to that information was that the place where that hair is is called the "breast".  (Ironic it's called that when an equine's mammaries are way by their hind legs, no?)

Is this said anatomy chart?

large.png

• Brohoof 1

Hey there, @

Because this thread is not necessarily suited for serious discussion here, and more related to a random/spammy topic, I habe gone ahead and moved it to the Forum Lounge.

Thank you!

@@Venomous Oh Spammy doesn't sound good, sorry about that.

Thanks for the help!

I don't think ponies have fuzz. That's kind of for furry animals?

large.pngHmm do you not consider horses as furry animals? :D

@@Venomous Oh Spammy doesn't sound good, sorry about that.

Thanks for the help!

sig-4773867.large.pngHmm do you not consider horses as furry animals? :D

"optional fluff"

large.png

You can call it that but horses have hair which is different. I think that's why the show proper doesn't have that "fuzz" thing, I think.

oohh ok, so hair is different to fur? Are you saying, for example, that humans and horses have hair, but dogs have fur?

As you might have guessed, I like fuzzy pony-chests and -ears, so I'd love if they drew them like that for the show, but I guess they're being anatomically correct(?)

oohh ok, so hair is different to fur? Are you saying, for example, that humans and horses have hair, but dogs have fur?

As you might have guessed, I like fuzzy pony-chests and -ears, so I'd love if they drew them like that for the show, but I guess they're being anatomically correct(?)

Yeah, hair and fur are different. Cats and dogs have fur while monkeys, humans, horses, etc, have hair. Yeah, they're being a bit correct in not having that since horse hair is known for being rigid I think. But perhaps it wouldn't be too bad to have ponies with really soft coats.

Yeah, hair and fur are different. Cats and dogs have fur while monkeys, humans, horses, etc, have hair. Yeah, they're being a bit correct in not having that since horse hair is known for being rigid I think. But perhaps it wouldn't be too bad to have ponies with really soft coats.

Not TOO bad. I think we could learn to deal with it :P

• 4 weeks later...

Is this said anatomy chart?

No, but it's about ta be! *eyebrow waggle*

Howsabout we call it BoobFluff? Because we rarely ever see it on stallions, eh? That, and I like saying the word "BooB"

Though if you DO find any fluffy stallions, do let me know!

Hair, I do suppose references more coarse material for the purposes of head-hair, manes and the such. I would consider it a stretch to call the coarser head-hair of a human or indeed, an actual horse as 'fluffy.' Fluffy tends to define thinner, more densely packed hair. Not unlike the underside down of an avian as compared to its flight feathers. I wouldn't call the bristly body hair of a wild chimpanzee fluffy, but I would a more tame, smaller monkey like that of a lemur or Capuchin.

I denote the term "Chest Fluff" and variations therein as appropriate terminology.

• Brohoof 1

Well, its kind of bothering me now, Bish Bosh.

I don't know what you'd call that sort of Chest Crest. It's something you come across quite often in nature too, if you've ever had a cat or dog with just the right coat of thin, medium length fur you can kind of get your fingers in there and fluff it up to a puffier state. Sort of like what prairie chickens & grouse do in their courtship displays. That kind of thick line of outward fluff like the rim on a winter coat or a particularly dense scarf. Think I usually call that a Ruff.

That's a quality that keeps coming up in my OCs. There's the lion's mane on Erroar that's overgrown enough to pretty much subsume his head. Widdershins has his dense neck ruffle that drapes down to where there's more thickness in the front, but its really more long enough as a dense drape. Then there's my mare-sona who I've got designed to have noticeably thicker fur in her chesticular area to cushion her hugs.

...What?

...Fluffy Ruff of ah' dense Chest Crest?

• Brohoof 1

@@Widdershins

Ruff is a good one, that makes sense.

So you wouldn't call it a chest crest? If you mean crest the same way you might say "crest" of a wave then it makes sense, like it would be the highest point on the chest.

Let's see these oCs then! For purely academic reasons, you understand

taking_precautions_by_captainpudgemuffin

@@Bit Boss,       Woof, there goes my heart palpitations again! Stupid, fluffy Rainbow Dash!

Well now, when one generally thinks of a Crest, a cockscomb or more rigid material tends to spring to mind. Or that horny projection one gets on cassowaries. Does rather apply to characters too, like take Jimmy Neutron for example (and several others, I think late nineties used to like giving absurd hairstyles to kids' show protagonists. Even the non-anime ones!) his Dairy Queen Dipped Soft-Serve of a head is undeniably a crest. But that doesn't really give that impression of fluffiness, you know what I mean? A crest I find to be more of a bit of a ridge, you do see that sometimes in artwork of animals like ponies, maybe one lock that juts out. Say, take Rainbow's mane there! Straight & comes to a point, that I'd call a crest, but not necessarily soft. Now Pinkie on the other hand!...

My OCs on the other tentacle, are perpetual works in progress of course.  I wouldn't call myself an artist of enough caliber to do them justice & to have a picture of them yet. Their Bio Pages are at the bottom of my Profile page along with the rest of them. Though... did manage to get a photo gifted to me by a good friend of Widdershins that I'm using both as my Avatar currently & over on his page!

@@Widdershins

I know, right? Straight in the ovaries...

I get it I get it, it needs to have some rigidity to stand out from the rest of the fur. And we can't in good conscience say that a fluffy pony's chest hair is in any way rigid!

Widdershins' little picture makes it look like they have a very fuzzy neck.

Widdershins' little picture makes it look like they have a very fuzzy neck.

Oh aye, its something I've been aiming for. I usually draw that part quite a bit longer haired, like those huge fluffy angora rabbits you see. That top part of him is themed after the fluffballs that Llamas can be!

Something I've noticed going into research about this, is that griffons seem especially good at the neck ruffle. Especially Gilda when she gets all flustered!

Griffon_Ruff.jpgThough she still somehow makes it look pretty kick-flank!

If you were to ask me though, for general overall fluffiness Pinkie definitely takes the cake there! I can still remember that "My frizz just got freaked" part in the show where I pretty much coughed up my heart N' ate it again!

Fluffa_Ruff.png

Gehee! I just wanna hug 'er n' never let go! So cuuute!

Of course, now it kind of strikes me that a Ruff/ruffle is more above the chest. Sort of neck & ear area. I'd say that a ruffle can descend to the chest & most Crests can also apply to the same region, so perhaps I'll go with the term Crest Ruffle.

• Brohoof 1