Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it frustrating that better arcs are told in comics than in the show?

ManaMinori

There have been some amazing arcs and scenarios told in the IDW comics. For instance, the Shadowlock arc, Nightmarity, Big Mac and the Art of Gazebo repair, and many more.

Does it frustrate anyone that these weren't made into actual FiM episodes, and likely never will be?

Some of those story arcs you mentioned are filled with numerous flaws that people have mentioned endlessly, but I do agree that some are better than what the show has produced. "Big Mac and the Art of Gazebo Repair" is a perfect example of what the show could achieve if it were to tackle events from the perspective of a character who normally doesn't get involved in crazy shenanigans. However, the comics introduced ideas that would be hard to implement into the show because they don't make sense, and/or go against what has already been established.

I think it's an idea to consider in the future, yet some story arcs shouldn't be included due to those flaws.

• Brohoof 1

I'm led to believe that Discovery Family won't allow long story arcs for their cartoons, that may not be true, but I heard it from some uncorroborated source a while ago.  If it is true it's maybe so that the episodes can played in more or less any order, or dipped into periodically, without the viewer becoming confused at to what is going on.

The comics on the other hand are aimed at a rather older audience, and they have a bit more license to do their own thing in that regard.  I really like the comics, and 'Zen and the art of gazebo repair' was a brilliant story, so very simple in plot, but funny, visually brilliant and packed wall to wall with pop culture references.

I don't feel frustrated about the lack of complex story arcs in the cartoon, it's something I'd like to see of course but I am at peace with the fact that it isn't going to happen and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• Brohoof 1

Not really, no. While I enjoy the arc styled stories of the comics, and I think a decent number of them have been pretty good, arcs aren't really the main reason I came to enjoy MLP. I like the simple single episodes, the two-parter's can be great fun too, and some of the ongoing story arcs in the show have been cool to see, but I don't really need them. As long as the normal episodes are all good and fun I'm happy.

• Brohoof 1

Actually it depends. There are some arcs in the show I really enjoyed, like every arc after season 3, and there are some arcs in the comics I didn't like, such as Seige of the Crystal Empire. Of course it can also be the other way around! Chaos Theory is a pretty interesting arc, and who knows? Season 7's arc might be pretty interesting as well!

lol the comic's arcs have been really shitty for the last couple of years. Saying they do them better than the show is literally the last thing I'd call them

• Brohoof 1

There have been some amazing arcs and scenarios told in the IDW comics. For instance, the Shadowlock arc, Nightmarity, Big Mac and the Art of Gazebo repair, and many more.

Does it frustrate anyone that these weren't made into actual FiM episodes, and likely never will be?

Hi, as this discussion is about the comics, it has been moved to Comics and Books.