Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Censorship of Cider to Juice in every territory.

Azureth

I was going be annoyed by this decision when I read the title, but others have said that Cider is basically an exclusively alcoholic beverage in the UK so.....this isn't censorship. It is changing something to be more fitting for the theme in that territory. Hell, I am surprised Hasbro decided to go with cider for North America as well as we all know how paranoid some companies can be.

I don't have an issue here.

• Brohoof 1

This is why we can't have nice things.  :okiedokieloki:

Actually for places like the UK where the word cider exclusively means alcohol, I can understand the word change. But in other places it just seems like another asinine attempt to child proof and make the show, like many things "kid friendly." This is probably why we rarely see death or any mention of it on FiM. 

Kids can apparently learn and appreciate mature adult themes and lessons about life and society, but they can't even tolerate alcohol that doesn't touch their tongues.

I was going be annoyed by this decision when I read the title, but others have said that Cider is basically an exclusively alcoholic beverage in the UK so.....this isn't censorship. It is changing something to be more fitting for the theme in that territory. Hell, I am surprised Hasbro decided to go with cider for North America as well as we all know how paranoid some companies can be.

I don't have an issue here.

Excessive political correctness is a form of censorship though. Heck that's one of the main reasons people were getting fed up with the establishment. In North America there is ABSOLUTELY no reason for it to be changed, it destroys the tempo of the song... and for what? Because cider is alcohol in UK?

Even in the UK, so what if it's alcohol? 

Edited by trademark2

children's cartoon episode focused on the manufacture and consumption of cider

Applebloom drunk some of that cider

apparently you can get drunk as a filly in Equestria

So remember kids, you can drink but don't drive

WAIT... They censored the word cider? I mean.... it's an alcoholic drink, but still.... Juice? (Also, yes, I acknowledge that there is a non-alcoholic version of cider as well) but WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, UK?!?!?!

Oh my god, UNSWEETENED APPLE JUICE! We can't expose kids to something every child drinks at some point in their lives! HIDE THE KIDS FROM THE UNSWEETENED APPLE JUICE! ......Sarcasm aside, that's literally all cider is. It's natural apple juice with spices added to it. Where's a facepalm/facehoof emoticon when you need one? :okiedokieloki: 

• Brohoof 2

So do they cencor the DAM title too? it has Super CIDER 6000! in the dam episode title...and let me gues they just cut out the song too..

this is just stupid to have this edit verson on the US netflix!

• 1 year later...
On 12/23/2016 at 6:45 PM, Azureth said:

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/12/all-of-cider-has-been-changed-to-juice.html?m=1

I just watched the episode after reading that and I can confirm at least in the U. S all mentions of Cider are changed to Juice.

This is ridiculous. That the UK version would some how be the one other territories get. Apart from how it's been Cider since way back you can tell it was over dubbed and really seems off.

In the UK apple cider is "cloudy apple juice". Google it, it's an actual thing.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:21 PM, leonbrony17 said:

Why?

Can someone explain to me why???

What's the difference?

I grew up in apple country. SWEET cider is unfermented. HARD cider is fermented & has a varying alcohol content but in the USA you aren't allowed to buy or sell it under 21years of age & you can't show anyone drinking it in a TV Y cartoon.  Apple juice is like sweet cider but thinner. Sort of the difference between orange drink & orange juice. Usually, when you just say "cider", you mean "sweet cider"

IMO, Hasbro decided to turn the cider into juice because they don't want to have to be trying to explain the difference to the FCC

This would undoubtedly be  TV14 & one of the reasons that good mommies don't let kids watch The Family Guy

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+family+guy+the++freaking+fcc&&view=detail&mid=8C20D3A265E6DFF8C7FC8C20D3A265E6DFF8C7FC&&FORM=VDRVRV

I do note it's still Apple Cider in the movie though.

(in the UK, cider is always "hard cider" - up to about 8% ABV, when it starts being called apple wine. Non-alcoholic is always called juice, although sometimes "raw" or "cloudy")

• Brohoof 1

Imagine you're watching SpongeBob. The Krusty Krab starts selling beer. "What?! They can't sell beer in a kid's show!"

Now think about it in MLP, in countries where cider is alcoholic. It's the same thing.

• Brohoof 3

I generally understand why people get upset when shows or movies (or any other form of art) have been censored after their original release. But isn't it little too much to slam 'freedom of speech' or 'political correctness' -cards to the table? Even though some could argue that in region where 'cider'  doesn't mean necessarily alcoholic beverage it's ok to use old term, it is much more convenient for companys to use one line in all countries. Otherways Hasbro's lawyers would have to check alcohol policies in every country.

Stating that episode is ruined because ponies now drink juice is subjective opinion, of course... but this is still show for children, I guess they are all fine with this change :P

• Brohoof 1

What they didn't cencor the title lol. "Everypony is juicing" you know for kids! replace alcohol with a drug **slow clap*

12 minutes ago, Rhythm Red said:

It's not really a big deal, honestly. Barely anything is affected.

They got away with saying Cider during the MLP movie! so why is it ?

• Brohoof 2

Just now, BlinkZ said:

What they didn't cencor the title lol. "Everypony is juicing" you know for kids! replace alcohol with a drug **slow clap*

They got away with saying Cider during the MLP movie! so why is it ?

I can partially understand why they did it. There have always been people asking whether MLP cider is alcoholic. It's not, but still, it can be misleading.

I don't know why it's in the movie and not in the show. Maybe the movie cider stuff was made before the censorship.